• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

Re: Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built

Oh m£rlin, when will you learn that were laughing at you, not with you!

I think this is one of the worst idea's in the whole entire world. Why would anyone want to PAY to stay in a Shipping Container. I understand that they're testing the market, but theirs a large difference between a temporary hotel made out of Shipping Containers, and a full time themed hotel made out of bricks and mortar. I sure know which one I'd choose.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built

Why would anyone want to pay? Because on the inside they look like they could be any hotel anywhere in the world... It's on-site accommodation and it looks good. If the prices are reasonable I could see myself wanting to use this.

mrbrightside said:
Why would anyone want to pay? Because on the inside they look like they could be any hotel anywhere in the world... It's on-site accommodation and it looks good. If the prices are reasonable I could see myself wanting to use this.

That's a VERY big if...

I think if they go for less margin and higher footfall, as many above have already stated, they could get a high amount of custom, and I think it would fit Thorpe's modern style trying to appeal mainly to 18-34 year old market predominantly.
It's a good idea if done right. The crucial words being, and those words being words Merlin doesn't adhere to very often, "done right".

how the hell did I miss this?!

Bravo Merlin, you have trolled us hard! If they can get a shipping container within a shipping container I will declare them ultimate winners.

I cant say this looks appealing in the slightest, but I imagine Im not the target market either. Lets just hope they are easy to clean.

Easy to vandalise more like.

Now I feel glad that I live near Thorpe so I don't have to stay here...

Bravo M£rlin, You've now made Thorpe Park look like a Dump

I find it hilarious that a shipping container hotel is on it's way. They look vile, they add to the Merlin joke of shipping containers - this whole thing is a joke in itself.

However they will *hopefully* be cheap to stay in (paha, who am I kidding, this is Merlin), they are stylish on the inside and it's only temporary so I'm not too angry with the decision. If this were a permanent addition then I would be in flames over it.

The only problem with this is. Thorpe are testing the market for a permanent hotel to one day be built. This could not hit off well with the aesthetics of the shipping container hotel. Lets face it, it looks ugly on the exterior, most people will base a decision to visit on the look of it. If a hotel looks ugly on the outside, this could remove a chunk of possible guests due to it not being aesthetically pleasing.

aside from the fact it is ugly as hell, I value myself abit higher than being kept in a metal storage tank. Im not shipping!

That little window on the door must let in so much light, and it all seems so spacious.

It's just.... just.... there are no words!!!

Not to mention they'll be really noisy as well unless there's really good sound proofing.

I imagine drunk clients running down a row of them banging on the sides in the middle of the night, that would certainly wake you up

I would expect that, being Thorpe, the place will be heavily patroled by security 24/7, preventing anyone from having fun. Or too many people congregating in one... and I use this term loosely... "room".

Of course, this will drive the price up ::)

It's like gold-plating and jewel-encrusting a piece of s**t. No matter how pretty you may think it looks afterwards, at the end of the day it's still just a turd. They can put as much of that furniture in as they like, but you're still going back to a metal box in the evening and it just doesn't suit a theme park (especially one of Merlin's) at all, in my opinion.

I'll stick with a Travelodge, thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built

Thing is... These things are obviously popular or the company wouldn't exist. EasyHotel's exist in London where people have to pay a premium for a window! People still stay in them...

It might not be bricks and mortar, but it's a fairly well designed, nice looking (inside at least) place to rest your head at night on-site. There currently isn't that option. To me, this seems appealing. I can't drive, and I live a 100min train from London - let alone getting to TP from Liverpool St. Adding a hotel like this opens up more visiting opportunities for someone like me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

mrbrightside said:
Thing is... These things are obviously popular or the company wouldn't exist. EasyHotel's exist in London where people have to pay a premium for a window! People still stay in them...

But look at the general applications they list on their website...

MAJOR SPORTING EVENTS
MUSIC FESTIVALS
FILM AND TV CREWS
PROJECT AND PRODUCTION STAFF
LARGE PRIVATE FUNCTIONS
DISASTER AND EMERGENCY RELIEF
MILITARY PERSONNEL

So basically, most of the time, these hotels are quick shift temporary things used for mostly backstage people who might just have to deal with living in a box for a night or 3... Not particularly designed for those who might be less willing to splurge £160 for a weekend away at the park...

That pic of them a few pages back reminds me of those American motels in movies; where all the stars go on the run from the government, usually with a beautiful woman in tow that they're protecting. Said motels always in the middle of nowhere and have a receptionist that wears an eye patch and a dirty vest, pump action shotgun behind the desk. ;)

Joking aside, my worst fear is that this may turn out fairly popular, but not popular enough. Meaning that it will turn a profit but not enough to convince Thorpe to go ahead with the full hotel plans, just keep the shipping containers. It's quirky and I'll give them a go if they are cheap rooms but they need to look more impressive than just portacabins. Hell, I'd go full on and theme them to Swarm, call it 'Emergency Overnight Shelter' for the victims of the Swarm's destruction or something. Anything to give it some character. ???

Unlike other recent 'Merlinisms', this doesn't affect your day at the park in anyway, apart from having to look at it. It's temporary, and it's not like Thorpe's an area of outstanding natural beauty anyway.

If it's too expensive, people won't stay there, and you don't have to either. I don't see how people can get so upset about this? If it goes well, it could lead to a nice permanent hotel. :)

I concur with Sam. It's not a permanent fixture, you're barely going to see it when you're on park and you're not being forced to stay there either; it's a great test for Thorpe to see if their clientele deserve and demand a hotel (And by clientele, I don't mean the instant chav accusations) rather than just a short term "Merlin money making scheme" and "lol in joke".

But why on earth does Thorpe need to "test" if their clientele need a hotel?

Surely, within the expertise of the Merlin Entertainments Group, they would have sufficient ability and marketing skills to determine whether a hotel was warranted?

Merlin have already built hotels in other resorts, and operate many others that they aquired.

I fail to see how a Snoozebox scenario will exactly determine whether TP needs a hotel? To me, a Snoozebox room appears vastly less appealing than an actual hotel - so where I would probably stay in a hotel at TP, a Snoozebox I wouldn't necessarily.