• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built - The Crashpad

Re: Thorpe Park - Temporary shipping container hotel to be built

£25 for four doesn't look bad, until you realise you really need to like the 3 other people, since you'll essentially be sleeping on top of each other...

Just meh, so pointless, stupid excuses of "need to test the water for a full blown hotel", absolutely rubbish...

They are most likely working on the basis that their clientele mainly consists of young groups of teenagers. So £25 per person (based on four people) fits in with the type of customers they want to attract. It's not too expensive to the immediate eye and *should* grab the right market Thorpe is aiming this at.

Also, can we note the obvious that it says rooms start FROM £100. 'FROM' - a clever word used to say 'well we are going to say it costs £100 in our press release, but that does not mean our rooms will actually cost that much, what did you expect from us? Cheap rooms? Pfftt, keep dreaming. Love Merlin xx'.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
MiserableMonkey said:
considering the clientele.

It is getting pretty tiresome reading this line over and over in response to Thorpe Park developments.

Considering Thorpe Park mainly try to attract the younger demographics, why is it tiresome to keep reading that line? I was just pointing out that the name, in my opinion, fits with the target audience of Thorpe Park perfectly. I can't see such a name (and potentially the branding) slotting as well into, say, Alton Towers or Chessington.

I do kind of agree that it's becoming a little tiresome. There's nothing wrong with targeting a specific demographic. Be it adults, teenagers, children, or families. But Thorpe are using their target audience very heavily lately, and frankly, it comes across as simply cutting corners and as an easy way to do a lower quality job of things.

For example, it's all well and good saying this shipping container accommodation fits the target group. But then, if Thorpe had built a proper hotel, even something like a Travelodge, does that mean that the target audience would not stop there? Both Alton's hotels are family oriented, but it doesn't stop other groups from stopping there, as at the end of the day they are both fairly high quality and comfortable establishments. Whereas here Thorpe have said, go for the cheapest nastiest thing, the target market will sleep anywhere. It doesn't matter about the others.

They are becoming lazy I fear, and relying on their target demographic to help make the cheapest installations, and cut the corners where they can. It's a similar tale at Towers, where Merlin and management seem to be applying the logic of "we're still the best the UK has got. We can get away with leaving it".

All parks within the Merlin portfolio need to take a good long look at themselves and consider their future. They cannot continue with this attitude they have of cutting corners while trying to use their brand/audience/market/name to uphold themselves. The only parks who can truly rely on any of those are the likes of Disney and Universal. Look at DLP. They've operated at a poor turnover for many years now, and some areas of the park are seriously lacking in new investment. But at the same time they pipe thousands of euros into the upkeep of their attractions they already have. Sure, people will continue to visit in more or less any state, just because it's Disney. Merlin seem to think that they too can pull this off, but the simple fact is that without the basis and upkeep they can't.

Both Alton and Thorpe are guilty of this, and it's a poor attitude which is in turn driving three of the UKs largest theme parks onto the rocks if you ask me. It needs to change ???

Ian said:
'make the cheapest installations, and cut the corners where they can.'

On the whole, I largely agree with your post but this niggled me. Thorpe is capable of pulling costly investments off well, and they certainly didn't cut corners with 'The Swarm'. Considering they've added more and more theming since opening, and it cost £20 million, that seems perhaps a little harsh.

I still believe that this particular idea is flawed completely. Nobody will want to stay in an overpriced box and so the rooms won't gain sufficient numbers for Thorpe to consider adding a permanent hotel. You can't test the waters with a completely different product. It's like Cadbury's giving cheese samples out to test a new chocolate bar. Completely illogical. :mad:

NastyPasty said:
Ian said:
'make the cheapest installations, and cut the corners where they can.'

On the whole, I largely agree with your post but this niggled me. Thorpe is capable of pulling costly investments off well, and they certainly didn't cut corners with 'The Swarm'. Considering they've added more and more theming since opening, and it cost £20 million, that seems perhaps a little harsh.

What about the shipping container shop, plain piece of metal for the entrance sign and the little burnt twigs in the queue?

I agree that some things have been a little cheaply produced but on the whole, I feel The Swarm was executed very well with little expense spared.

The shipping containers are customary anyway. ;)

I think the shipping container thing is more of an issue as they lack any form of facade... Since really, they look no different to the sheds used for dark rides...

At least the container shops at Thorpe fit their ride's theme...

I'm sorry. but I am never, ever going to sleep in a shipping container. I thought this topic was a joke when I saw the title, but, after looking, I would never want to be that close to anyone else, regardless of their relation to me.

It just seems a little odd for Thorpe to be doing this, as it's not exactly the 'norm'...

The worst thing is the idea of spending an evening, and breakfast time, in the leisure centre style Dome building.

Ugh!

But don't you want to have breakfast at Bar 360 Dan :p And the wonderful views of the underwater theming inside the dome...

:p

Port Atlantis!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Jordan said:
(sponsored by NatWest)

Ah yes, we must not forget the famous sponsorship by Natwest ;)

I will laugh if the TP logo becomes THORPE PARK: RESORT.

TP is not a multi day destination in any way, shape or form. It feels less of a resort than ANY of Merlin's non-Lego parks.

AstroDan said:

TP is not a multi day destination in any way, shape or form. It feels less of a resort than ANY of Merlin's non-Lego parks.

I give the name change odds of 100% likelihood. The only reason they seem to be building these Hotels is to give their parks resort statuses. Alton was fair enough but when it got to LEGOLAND they couldn’t have updated that logo fast enough with the resort branding. Merlin has some bizarre motivations like that which sadly seem to take priority over managing what they’ve got. The whole 2nd to Disney so expand as quickly as possible is another example of this.

We were all questioning the validity of Alton Towers' resort status only a few years back, but it now seems like a complete city by comparison to some of their other 'resorts'!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

AstroDan said:

To be fair, Dan, most of us have been laughing at Thorpe since this came out. ;)

I do find it amusing that the new Legoland map says " Resort Guide" on the front this year compared to "Park Guide" last year.

Just seen the homebase advert and it has reminded me about thorpes recent temporary hotel