• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

THORPE PARK Trip Report: 31.8.12

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
All are welcome to come to THORPE PARK this Friday!

The park is open from 9:30/10:00am until 6:00pm and I will be driving down from Astro Towers. I have space in my car so please get in touch if you would like a space from my area - first come first served. If you live down south, then you are expected there :-*

EDIT: 29/8/12 5.15pm - my car is now full.

Who's Going
1. AstroDan
2. Vik
3. Alex
4. Jordan
5. Lottie
6. John

Unsure
1. Magrathea
2. Josht

Re: Mini Meet: THORPE PARK - Friday 31st August 2012

I'd love to go, but alas, I have no money :( Could persuade my Mum to let me go as a (GCSEs) Results reward, So I Could go. Can neither confirm nor deny in other words :)

Mini Meet: THORPE PARK - Friday 31st August 2012

Grrrrr, I am actually down in the area so would be tempted! We'll see how the next few days pan out :)

Mini Meet: THORPE PARK - Friday 31st August 2012

:( the meets near me I always seem busy

Put me down as a yes! :D I'd love to meet you guys at Thorpe!

I would go... But I have a dentist appointment... Flimsy excuse I know... :p

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Working, sadly :(

Shame, as I'd love to get back to Thorpe before Fright Nights starts!

Will try to get the day off from work :)

Thorpe Park: 31st August 2012

Having visited Thorpe Park on three occasions earlier in the 2012 season, and having enjoyed each and everyone - I was keen to visit once more this season. Thus, myself and a few others drove down from the Midlands.

The park quickly returned to the Thorpe Park that used to be mocked and ridiculed back in 2006/7/8/9, and the day really became more of a chore than anything else, at least in terms of getting on rides.
Perhaps it is because Thorpe Park target themselves to young people, that they think they can get away with things that would not be possible at some of the other Merlin parks. Here are examples:

- Colossus opened on 1 train. There was instantly a queue, and the 2nd train was brought out later. Why not just start on 2? The ride commanded a 70-90 minute queue all day.

- Storm Surge queue was advertised ‘99’ minutes, with fastrack bulging out of the entrance. This ride is an absolute, abhorrent joke and a mess to boot. It squeaked and leaked its way through yet another day of operation:

563122_10100252578469755_165017155_n.jpg

- The queue for Swarm was 90-100 minutes all day. Fastrack was massively oversold. You can possibly just make out the ‘99’ for Swarm and Storm Surge on here:

554584_10100252578444805_1150248125_n.jpg

- Flat rides should be the supporting attractions in a theme park. Samurai, however managed a wait of over 1 hour for most of the day, with Vortex and Zodiac both 30-50 minutes.

- Rush went down to 1 swing from mid afternoon. The queue line was ¾ full - we didn’t even wish to find out how long the queue was, especially as there were a fair few people in the fastrack line. Our guess was 90 minutes.

- Slammer was closed all day due to technical problems. This wasn’t particularly frustrating and I understand that the ride is a technical nightmare - however, regardless - it was closed.

- Saw: The Ride commanded a queue time of 90 minutes + all day long. With a massive number of fastrack guests, the poor souls in the main queue were left with a long, long wait.

- The park extended the closing time of some of the rollercoasters by 30 minutes. However, this was not communicated well at all. Also, given that most major rides still had queues of 45 to 90 minutes at 6pm (Swarm said 100 minutes at its entrance), 6:30pm was still completely inadequate.

- Fastrack was massively oversold. Look at this farcical queue line to buy it near Nemesis Inferno:

YouTube clip of queue

543624_10100252578325045_339222378_n.jpg

558407_10100252578374945_1343818186_n.jpg

- Throughputs, whilst satisfactory on some rides, was wholly inadequate on others. Samurai was taking forever, and was probably the worst example.

It was, by far and away, my worst visit to Thorpe Park since the Annual Pass day in 2011. The sheer volume of fastrack sales, and completely inadequate opening hours for such crowds, left a bitter taste in the mouth after a 3 hour drive from the midlands. A busy Thorpe Park is not necessarily the problem - after all, it is/was the summer holidays, and queues are to be expected. But when every single major rollercoaster and major thrill ride has a queue of over 50 minutes, with the majority upwards of 80 minutes - you begin wondering where to turn, where to escape to. With Saw Alive, Time Voyagers and the railway all sitting motionless, extra capacity on rides would have slightly helped at least. There was simply nowhere to go. No dark rides with minimal queues, no garden areas, no zoo area, no aquarium and no show. Nothing but massive queues in every corner.

The park need to reassess how they sell fastrack because, on anything other than quiet days, it seems to be that a fastrack ticket is now essential to enjoy the rides at the park within the times permitted. The park has by far the worst queues in the country, and arguably Europe. It was awful and a shame after some good trips earlier in the year. Fastrack was being sold at many ride entrances, thus making the problem worse.

BAH! :(

Wow, sounds far worse then any of my visits. At least at Towers when it's busy with 90 min queues, you have the gardens, the towers and small attractions to escape to.

What was your ride count in the end? Or did you just not bother!

Fredward said:
Wow, sounds far worse then any of my visits. At least at Towers when it's busy with 90 min queues, you have the gardens, the towers and small attractions to escape to.

What was your ride count in the end? Or did you just not bother!

It wasn't that bad, because were burned it round in the first hour...

Saw x 1 (walk on, 9:30am)
Colossus x 1 (walk on, 9:40am)
Loggers Leap x 2 (15 minutes, then managed to re-ride just as it re-opened following downtime)
Rocky Express x 1 (walk on)
Nemesis Inferno x 1 (5 minutes, 9:50am)
Detonator x 2 (10 minutes, then 20 minutes)
Stealth x 2 (15 minutes, 10:00am, then 35 minutes near end of day)
X:/NWO x 1 (10 minutes, 10:10am)
Rush x 1 (30 minutes)
Swarm x 1 (45 minutes, 5:45pm)
Quantum x 2 (15 minutes, then 15 minutes)
Flying Fish x 1 (20 minutes)
Rapids x 2 (5 minutes, then 20 minutes)
Tea Cups x 1 (10 minutes)

We did not ride Vortex, Zodiac, Samurai or the Banana Boat due to the queue lengths.

Between about midday and 4pm, we did no big rides due to queue lengths. If it had not been for arriving at Thorpe at 9:30am, we'd have barely got on anything at all.

Dylan said:
So you got on NINETEEN rides on the worst day of the last few years at Thorpe Park?

Of which 6 were before 10:15am because we were burning around the park like anyone's business and Colossus, Saw, Stealth and Nemesis Inferno were < 15 minutes at that time.

Between 11.30 and 4.30pm, we only did Rapids, Loggers Leap, Flying Fish, Quantum, Tea Cups, Rocky Express and Rush.

After 4:30pm, we managed to do Stealth, Detonator and Swarm.

A similar scenario could be say Alton Towers if you did loads of rides on ERT and then barely anything until 90 minutes before ride close. Perfectly plausible - doesn't mean the day was great.

Beats my worst day at Thorpe in '09 :p

Stealth x2
Inferno x1
Rapids x1
Saw x1
Log Flume x1

I'm sure it was a frustrating day, with no escape from the queues that you would get at another park, but I was expecting a ride count of five / six rides from the original comments and facebook statuses :) I don't think I've ever had a ride count of 19, anywhere, ever!!

mrbrightside said:
Beats my worst day at Thorpe in '09 :p

Stealth x2
Inferno x1
Rapids x1
Saw x1
Log Flume x1

To be honest, if we hadn't have done the likes of Rocky Express, Tea Cups and Flying Fish - plus re-rides on stuff that had short queues like the Rapids, it would have been far, far worse from a "ride count" perspective... but alas.

We were literally just riding anything that had a short queue...! We declined the Carousel, however.

I am sure on your day where you barely got on no rides, you could as easily have ridden the kids rides or Rapids a few times :p

Oh we probably could have and tbh I can't remember it that well but I know we were unfortunate. Collossus was closed all day, Inferno broke for 20 minutes while we queued in (probably) a 90 minute queue for it and Saw was advertised at 180 but in reality was more like 120-150. That day was mainly because of Saw's recent opening and the Easter holidays...

It's mad to think though that despite another major installation since then the park still can't cope on busy days like the one you experienced yesterday :p

Have to say, despite the horrendous queues, I enjoyed my day at Thorpe! Perhaps if we hadn't been so lucky with getting around the major rides quickly at the start of the day, I wouldn't have enjoyed it quite so much, though!

A few highlights:

- 99 minutes, 'd4' minutes and Rita minutes! :p
- Detonator was better than I remember it
- The fire blasts on The Swarm
- Briefly seeing James at work
- Lottie's phone having a flying trip (and lucky escape) on Stealth!
- Multiple rides on Quantum, Loggers', and the Rapids due to the queues for everything else
- Having a good chuckle at everyone queuing half an hour to buy Fastrack

I find it crazy how different Thorpe can be between a quiet and a busy day. It seems like it's purely Thorpe's lack of capacity that stretches the park to fill a single day. The amount of Fastrack sold there is an utter joke.

AstroDan said:
There was simply nowhere to go. No dark rides with minimal queues, no garden areas, no zoo area, no aquarium and no show.
Be fair, there's the Sunken Gardens :p

Joking aside, that sounds horrible. I was in London yesterday, else I would've joined you, but to be honest although I'm gutted I missed out on a meet, I'm not at all gutted that I missed Thorpe. Pleased, in fact.

AstroDan said:
The park need to reassess how they sell fastrack because, on anything other than quiet days, it seems to be that a fastrack ticket is now essential to enjoy the rides at the park within the times permitted.
Interestingly, I overheard a few of my students planning a trip to Thorpe towards the end of the Summer Term (when they should've been working... bah). They're 14-15 year old's, who generally live within a 10-25 mile radius of the park, so pretty much bang-on the target market, though in this case strangely not AP holders. They were talking about how much it'd cost, and were factoring loads of money aside for lots of Fastracks.

Before setting them back on the coincidentally apt task of some kinetic energy questions, I asked them about the Fastracks, and they said "you can't do Thorpe without Fastracks".

"You can't do Thorpe without Fastracks"

They're well aware that I'm a theme park geek, and were surprised that I didn't use them.

It seems as if it's simple as that: Thorpe's local target market are now conditioned that they "can't do Thorpe without Fastrack". It may as well be a pay-per-ride park, and I've really no idea how that ideology can now ever change, not that it'd be in Merlin's financial interest for it to :(