• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Top Thrill Dragster Possibly Down for the Rest of the Year!

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
The catch car collided with the brake fins, ripping them out! :eek::oops:

Source: www.coastercrazy.com/forums/top-thrill-dragster-possibly-down-for-rest-of-season-t37124.html

aed8e9ddf8b26e0e09744e58cb9b8b55.jpg

6bf04dbf834a33427dcd69edabb02eae.jpg

eb488bd014421495527adbe2884c4e08.jpg

bdc10adf2d66b607a06a0c6145d99bc9.jpg

fe7cec0459da316520f8ddaf28aecf03.png

The relationship between Cedar Fair and Intamin is like that between a Guy and his Mother in Law.

I know it might be a stupid question but what is the catch car? Is it the train itself or the mechanism in the track that launches said train?

The catch car is something attached to the launch cable which catches with something underneath one of the cars on the train and helps to launch it.

I'd love to know how it happened, as (we all know) the brake fins are supposed to retract before the catch car launches.

Hold on tight, YOU MUST ESCAPE...
...GO GO GO!

Tasteless jokes aside, I kinda hope they do close Rita, will give thirteen a better queueline atmosphere!

Stealth on the other hand...:(

It hardly runs anyway! These rides are a liability and have demonstrated as such time after time.

I'd love to know how it happened, as (we all know) the brake fins are supposed to retract before the catch car launches.
That's fairly inconsequential. The catch car is free to move irrespective of the position of the brakes (it returns to the launch area when the brakes are in the 'up' position, after all). This only happens when the catch car or the cable is somewhere where it shouldn't be.

Plus, those brakes might be catch car brakes rather than rolling stock brakes?

I've never seen a park with a more dedicated maintenance team. If they can find a way to get it open for Halloweekends, I imagine they probably will. That thing is a 'maintenance challenge' though, to use the corporate phrase.

Last edited:
What they are saying on coastercrazy is its the brakes that slow the catch car down, not the brakes that retract to allow the train to be launched, I’ve got no idea if that’s correct

That site needs a max age restriction.. My dad read it and now has decided that ALL launched coasters are death traps AND...that a catch car...is an empty ride car...that goes around the track!
IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!
and that top thrill dragster, crashed into this catch ride car.

In my dads mind, they put riders on the catch car (by what he assumes is pure sadism)...and everyone died!

Yay for old people logic!

I've never seen a park with a more dedicated maintenance team. If they can find a way to get it open for Halloweekends, I imagine they probably will. That thing is a 'maintenance challenge' though, to use the corporate phrase.

You weren't wrong!

Looks like they are trying to get it up and running again ASAP. Impressive as I am sure most parks would have just written it off for the season.

:)