• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

Bare metalling and spraying ain't cheap, properly skilled job and they probably needed repairs as well. £5000 could be spent easily.

That isn't a lot, that's just how much these things cost, if not more. You'd be shocked at the even higher costs of construction trades per hour, brick laying, etc, in wider industries. But it should be easily affordable for a company this big, they just don't give them the budget!

Amazing restoration job. Totally worth it, perfect work and hope this professional standard stays. Brilliant!

That isn't a lot, that's just how much these things cost, if not more. You'd be shocked at the even higher costs of construction trades per hour, brick laying, etc, in wider industries. But it should be easily affordable for a company this big, they just don't give them the budget!

Amazing restoration job. Totally worth it, perfect work and hope this professional standard stays. Brilliant!
construction trades, so @ my rates will have cost around £9500 .. it gets worse :eek:

The refurbishments to Nemesis and Hex are (absurdly, but factually) unprecedented in recent years at Alton Towers in terms of rides.

The Skyride gondola replacement is the only other thing that comes close.

Remember: TLC is nothing to do with "Merlin". The parks spend their budgets as they see fit. Thankfully, ATR have realised that improving the existing offering is actually important and I commend the decision.

Dark Forest is not a good area - but it was so much better in 2016 than 2015!

I think a bigger issue is the quality and consistency of the refurbishments when they do eventually take place.

Splash Landings in particular is hideous after those repaints a few years ago.

Last edited:
Most of the refurbishments are of a high standard in my opinion, even if they differ somewhat from the original theme. I'd say the issue is that, before TLC, there weren't enough ride/area refurbishments being carried out, and they'd only take place if a new ride was opening in the area e.g. Oblivion getting repainted the year Smiler opened.

I wouldn't say Splash Landings was hideous, but I'm not a fan of that particular refurbishment and agree it'd have been better if they'd merely touched up the way it already was. The change there was unnecessary.

C6JD6sJWUAAUuSD.jpg

For those who enjoy a good before and after photo on a Sunday morning....

That is a really good surprise. I wonder if this means the gardens will be open during the theme park closed day over the season?

They really should trial that - house and gardens only, open 10-4, (say) £15 with free parking using express/coach. Open woodcutters and corner coffee only on the F&B side, with no retail.

I guess the main problem would be marketing it, there's a risk you might end up with only about 6 people going.

It would help if half of the house wasn't full of crappy props for certain events that only run for a fraction of the year, which means that you can't enter these parts all year round. Not that I'm the kind of person to complain about that.... :)

@John i was thinking prebooked trip. So they know the numbers and get staff and supplies according the the group numbers.
If they offer it to organisations like the oddfellows. And see if they is a market for non riders to see the gardens and towers.

construction trades, so @ my rates will have cost around £9500 .. it gets worse :eek:

Worse? Why is spending a large amount of money on doing a top notch job on something worse than say asking Leek Signs to product some cheap vinyl signs where the average guest woudn't really know or care about the difference?

Some poeple just love to moan when they don't do things then moan when they do.

:)