• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

If I recall correctly, Karnen is an infinity with lap bars, but I can’t remember if it inverts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Smiler is the only Infinity coaster with OTSRs. The rest all have lap bars, and they all invert.

I can't embed a photo right now, but Gerstlauer had a model of The Smiler's layout with the lap bar trains at IAAPA a couple of years ago. So I think The Smiler could definitely have lap bars.

I was thinking to myself the other day when I saw that Helix had had seatbelts fitted for 2018... with Alton's new push for safety post-2015, I'm surprised that they haven't fitted Smiler's OTSRs with seatbelts like the ones fitted on Nemesis' and Oblivion's OTSRs. It would act as a backup in case the hydraulic system failed, and it wouldn't even be the first Gerstlauer to have OTSRs with seatbelts, as I think Takabisha's trains have seatbelts as well as OTSRs.

The belts are there for your physiology benefit only, no other reason, if the hydraulics fail, they fail in the locked position, not open, the hydraulics are used to open the restraints, not keep them closed.
Oh right! So the belts are only there for the GP's peace of mind? Thanks @IanSR!

On these particular rides yes, as far as I know (would seem a very clear design flaw if you could open your restrain going round by just unclipping the belt, and if it was the other way (hydraulics hold down restraints) how do you keep the hydraulic pressure up while the train is circulating the track without a compressor on the back of each train?).

I guarantee you won't get your restraint open just by unclipping your belt on these particular rides. The ride ops always get pissed off with me on enterprise because I open the door myself long before they've got to me, that plate they stuck over the clip it is useless.

Lap bars for a 14 looper? Hahahaha
What does 14 inversions have to do with it? If you can do one that seems like the crucial test... it doesn't get progressively more risky as you shift round the track?

The belts are there for your physiology benefit only, no other reason
That's not strictly true. On many rides they serve as a size/safety indicator. The ratchet or hydraulic will often lock the restraint in a position lower than 'up', but unless the seatbelt fastens, you won't be permitted to ride.

Whilst there’s a tendency for enthusiasts to want lap bars everywhere, when I rode Karacho which just has lapbars, it was right on the limit of comfortable. Applying that to a coaster like Smiler, I suspect might mean it is actually more comfortable/enjoyable with OTSRs. Lapbars might give you too little support and result in a (more?) unpleasant ride.

If Karnan - a more intense ride than The Smiler - gets away with lap bars then I'm sure The Smiler could.

Gerstlauer do have two types of lap bar though, for Eurofighters and Infinity coasters. The Smiler basically uses Eurofighter trains so perhaps it could use that style of lap bar. It seems to offer a bit more support than the Infinity style.

What does 14 inversions have to do with it? If you can do one that seems like the crucial test... it doesn't get progressively more risky as you shift round the track?

Well why didn't they fit it with lapbars then?

Also I was thinking more about the GP angle. Just can't imagine it ever being just lap bars with its layout and the number of inversions it has.

Absolutely no chance of it ever happening anyway.

If I remember correctly, it was Towers choice for The Smiler to have OSTRs. It's nothing to do with design and The Smiler could have had lap bars.

They will never change it of course. They can barely keep the ride clean and tidy, never mind change a restraint style!