• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

Having said that, I agree it was surprising that the ride didn't receive a touch up during the nine months it was closed, purely from a maintennance perspective. All rides should receive a general tidy up during a closed period, regardless of a TLC program.

Its possible that for some of the time they couldn't do anything to it in case further investigations were needed. But of course that would still give a couple of months for them to fix things.

You cannot deny that it will be the first of all the current coasters in the park to be removed at some point.

Yes Nemesis is wonderful, and it will outlive Oblivion for sure.

Oh but I can, and will ;). Rita and Spinball will be gone before Oblivion - I'd put money on that. Nemesis, of couse, will outlive all of them.

*Sorry for the off topic, I only just noticed this comment and couldn't resist.

95130d09a0409770df62ae9c603d94e7.jpg

So much better!
Where abouts on the smiler is that? for the life of me I can't remember rainbow steps.

The amount of time The Smiler was closed was a good opportunity to give it a clean all over, and perhaps a repaint. Not from a 'lets make it look safe' point of view, more from a 'maintenance the park should be doing anyway' point of view. For one of the newest rides at Towers The Smiler looks very dirty and neglected.

95130d09a0409770df62ae9c603d94e7.jpg

So much better!

Great to see those stairs repainted. Really hoping they can repaint those exit corridors too!

On the general subject of Towers Loving Care, I don't mind it being used to provide enthusiasts with general updates and closed season updates, although I hope this will last beyond the 2-3 years it was initially announced as. TLC should be permanent.

Not really on topic, but does anyone know if there's any actual reason for the rainbow stairs? Doesnt really fit in with the sinister government project theme, but it wouldn't suprise me if there is some thought behind it.

Stairs look good though. Shame they got into that state but at least they're doing something. Now, they just need to finish painting the ceiling in the room outside the baggage hold ;)

Not really on topic, but does anyone know if there's any actual reason for the rainbow stairs? Doesnt really fit in with the sinister government project theme, but it wouldn't suprise me if there is some thought behind it.

It's the idea that, after marmalisation, you only have feelings of happiness as you 'belong to The Smiler'. Rainbows are often associated with happiness and almost a sense of peace with yourself and your emotions, hence the happy rainbow colours once you've finished your ride signalling that you've been marmalised.

I think the whole of TS is getting a repaint this season, as well as nemesis being completed.

What I want
Nemesis
TS
Katanga refurb mid season
Duel
Blade
Spinball
Gardens
Sky ride (advertise SW8 in some form?)

X Sector
CCL
Mutiny Bay
Rest of Park

What we'll get

Nemesis
Cbeebies
Skyride

Mutiny Bay
Cbeebies

Please change skyride gondola number 8 to SW8 on the bottom and give away some clue of the theme!

I think Europa would have done a better job, to be honest. Phantasialand, wow - best jet washing I've ever seen.

Think there might be a point being made here, not sure but just getting a certain vibe, despite no one criticising this spruce up and in fact making positive comments and much patting of Merlins back (much like when you congratulate a toddler for eating all their vegetables).

The TLC program is grand, very much the good work of good people and should not be scorned. It's just a shame the company don't really see it's full potential.

But that's life and worse things happen at sea.

I once saw a staff member at Phannyland spend a good ten minutes jetwashing the paving slabs of the (I forget it's name) big square with the Waveswinger.
... That's ten minutes per slab, by the way.

I'm not going to complain about Towers doing basic maintenance that should be done every year, but neither am I going to applaud them for it.

I think this is the thing that frustrates me so much with Merlin parks, particularly Towers. Although the park needs serious work besides, something simple and incredibly cheap like a deep clean can make a massive difference. Just getting out a jet wash, a sponge with hot soapy water, a brush etc is cheap yet effective.

I remember a manager in an old, run down shop in desperate need of a refit once told me - "Cleaning is a thankless task, yet so important. Because nobody ever notices a clean shop, but they sure as hell always notice a dirty one."