• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Loving Care

I'm very, very pleased with what I've just read about the Hex refurbishment. They've actually done an outstanding job by the looks of it.

Dammit Towers, I'm gonna hate not hating on you!

Seems like lots of you got your wish of wanting the Hexagon AV screens replaced...

This again totally blew me away, that they actually listened to what people were saying on here. The old CRT's are definitely the best type of screen for this purpose but it's quite a small detail in the grand scheme of things.

Also, reverting back to older, sometimes forgotten technologies is a very rare thing in the entertainment industry.

What we need now is feet through the door to show those M£rlin bean counters that refreshing old attractions is a very worthwhile investment.

Today they updated the mobile app's map. As suspected the main path between Mutiny bay and Katanga canyon has been closed. You think now that Haunted hollow is the only reasonable route to take it will cause congestion issues on busy days.

Reactions: pj
Today they updated the mobile app's map. As suspected the main path between Mutiny bay and Katanga canyon has been closed. You think now that Haunted hollow is the only reasonable route to take it will cause congestion issues on busy days.
It's not ideal, but presumably unavoidable. It's only like walking to Video-Air - another dead end.

It might mean that Rapids, Mine Train and Explorers are slightly quieter than normal if there is no passing traffic.

Really happy with all the improvements made to Hex, fantastic work by all involved and just shows that the people behind this are people who care greatly about the guest experience.

Amazed at the old CRTs being moved into the Octagon, great idea, and the queueline using modern TVs isn't that much of an issue as they're on all the time anyway.

I really hope this marks the start of more projects like this happening in future, as it really is great work and should be applauded.

The improvements to Hex look absolutely fantastic, very pleasantly surprised.

I was only expecting a minor refurbishment, so this is great to see. Can't wait to ride again, I missed it last year. Major props to Towers and the TLC team, just shows that there are people who are really passionate about Towers working there.

:)

I wonder how much better the new sound system will be. The existing Bose system always had great sound, even in 2015 when the ride was generally in a poor state.

I remember back a good few years ago, as you entered the octagon the floor was covered in fog which I think came out from around the bottom of the central pillar. There was water that accompanied the lightning effects as well.

Were these switched off purposely or just not maintained?
Hopefully will be making a comeback as a result of the TLC if it was the latter. I always thought it looked really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the staff path from Duel to the Katanga sign is shown on that map, slightly re-routed the other way round the Flume lake to come out roughly where the Flume's exit was to provide a second route from Mutiny Bay to Gloomy Wood. If they do use that path it would potentially allow them to open the gate through to the Rapids photo point giving access to Katanga via the Rapids exit. They might not want to do that though as overcrowding on the Rapids exit path could become a real issue on even a moderately busy day.

They've put CRTs back in there? My god, what's wrong with me. I feel all light headed. Next you'll be telling me the cinema projector is finally switched to 16:9!

They've put CRTs back in there? My god, what's wrong with me. I feel all light headed. Next you'll be telling me the cinema projector is finally switched to 16:9!

Don't worry. I noticed the screen in one of the photos was still in the 4:3 aspect ratio so I highly doubt it.

Can't be dealing with black bars top and bottom so we'll just have to tolerate the skinny Earl.

Confession - I'd never noticed that video was in the wrong aspect ratio. It will probably annoy me from now on though.

Tangentially related confession - whenever I type the word ratio I almost always subconsciously add 'n' at the end

Hex is looking great once more! It shows Merlin can do the odd thing right. It's also great to see some positivity back in the forums :)

What we need now is feet through the door to show those M£rlin bean counters that refreshing old attractions is a very worthwhile investment.

Hopefully if the park is busier this year then towers management can use this as evidence that this sort of investment is worthwhile. Of course that relies on people actually visiting the park.

Sounds like a lot of thought and effort has gone into Hex which is great! Really looking forward to seeing what it is like on opening day, it should feel like a totally new attraction once again.

It will be interesting to see how popular Hex is this year; it's always been a fans favourite but rarely got long queues.

:)

Hex is looking great once more! It shows Merlin can do the odd thing right. It's also great to see some positivity back in the forums :)
This is nothing to do with Merlin, so just for credit to where it's due - the team at Alton Towers.

I have praised this project no end, if what is on the blog is true, then it sets a fantastic precedent. Every ride should be treated this way, not DIY 'improvements' based on opinion - but proper consideration for the attraction's design and show maintenance. Essentially just fixing it the way it should be.

All the attraction needs is a complete restoration, deep clean and servicing to its effects throughout - no fiddles, no additions - and it looks like they've done exactly that. I will wait on the new sound system, because Hex had quite a pricey professional sound system to begin with, so whether it's improved might be down to opinion.

9 out of 10 times, in-house projects like this don't turn out professional quality - but from what I see and hear I am dead impressed. The results look like they are there, it's great! This would be fantastic and a considered restoration like I've never seen before in a Merlin park if all goes well.

I hope this can be the norm for show maintenance once again across Alton Towers, and hopefully set a precedent for other UK Merlin parks.

Last edited:
Apart from the new tv's and sound system. Id say the rest of what they've done isnt something that a good team of 2 or 3 couldnt do every closed season. What gets me is that they have also done the basics as well a the technicle stuff. A simple dusting etc. Cant be this hard just to have a spring clean once a year?

Last edited: