• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Merch

Wouldn't mind an Ice Age 4D polo, but is it worth £25? A lot of money for a shirt.

The oblivion one was £60, but I think it's a genuinely great looking a practical waterproof. Was happily going to pay that.

Ice Age, not so much!

I think the tie is the best buy of what's left; subtle enough to get away with in polite company, but if you know you know.

Last edited:
...OK.

Maybe I have a biased view on the matter, but I actually think this is ludicrous. Who on Earth green-lit the decision to sell old uniform on eBay?! It's a lunatic decision on two fronts...

Firstly, it makes a mockery of the brand. Where I work, we have strict guidelines surrounding the brand we use, what we can and can't do with it, to the extent that anything branded that we use, when it comes to the end of its life, is either stored (who knows when it could be needed again), or destroyed. We can't risk the brand being used in a way it wasn't intended. Whilst the 'Alton Towers' brand may not be as large or powerful brand as that that I work with, it still stands up in its own right, it has power across the UK tourism and entertainment sector, and at least a little sway abroad.

Secondly, and more importantly, this just seems a massive security risk. Again, any old branded uniform we don't want to store gets disposed of, but first destroyed, to prevent the possibility it could be obtained and abused by people. For example, take the Alton Towers Resort Transport uniform. Barely anyone outside this community will know that Alton Towers Transport isn't a thing anymore. So, I buy the shirt, rock up at the resort in a taxi or something, and claim I'm an official taxi operator, part of the Towers company, part of the brand. The rest I leave up to your imagination.

Frankly, this sale of uniform utterly baffles me.

Security and/or reputation concerns are a bit of a nonsense. These don't have 'staff' written across them. All theme parks sell tonnes of clothing merch with their names splashed all over them, they are not selling currently used uniform so these are indistinguishable from previously sold merch. Only people like us would have any idea it was once uniform.

Would Merlin have had to green light the decision or just the park?

I'd imagine just the park, it's just merch now.

The only thing I could imagine them being an issue is selling Ice Age merch outside of any current contract with the rights holder. But as it's (at least in part) charity and was produced under legitimate license originally I doubt they'd care too much.

I guess they must have just found a shed load of old uniform and thought they could make a bit of money (for charity) and also save them the hassle of having to dispose of it, or just leave it in store rooms for years to come.

Most of it would be fine to wear, for all most people will know is it’s just merch, however as far as I’m aware the ice age uniform does say ALTON TOWERS ENTERTAINMENTS written on the back of it, in the current style and branding. So you could be wearing that and be mistaken for staff.

I'd imagine the park would turn away anyone they think could be mistaken for staff, or ask them to take off their jacket

I'd imagine the park would turn away anyone they think could be mistaken for staff, or ask them to take off their jacket
The park aren’t going to turn away people they’ve just sold stuff to...

It’s highly unlikely anyone buying this merch is going to pretend to be staff whilst at the park anyways, this stuff is essentially no different than the stuff they sell in the shops, the only difference is, staff USED to wear it.

I think they will have to wait until June 15th to open Towers Trading. But there is nothing stopping them from setting up an outdoor stall to sell some merch from.
I’m sure they could get away with towers trading, if the likes of B&M, the range, etc are open it’s not much different to towers. They sell plenty of food and drink in there.

You never know they might start selling milk and bread and call them self a supermarket

I’m sure they could get away with towers trading, if the likes of B&M, the range, etc are open it’s not much different to towers. They sell plenty of food and drink in there.

You never know they might start selling milk and bread and call them self a supermarket

The gift shop at Alton Towers is definitely a non-essential store, it cannot open until at least the 15th June.

I doubt there is enough demand to make it worth opening a stall for now, they would be better off putting the effort into opening additional take-away food outlets.

The gift shop at Alton Towers is definitely a non-essential store, it cannot open until at least the 15th June.

I doubt there is enough demand to make it worth opening a stall for now, they would be better off putting the effort into opening additional take-away food outlets.
15th June = next Monday. Not long then.