• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Towers Street Abbreviations Thread

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
Based on some excellent points by Tom & Thomas, as a relative newbie my self, I felt the idea of clear and precise thread containing common (and not so common) abbreviations, easy to access where they are most used, would be useful. Please add more, and I'll update the list - there will be loads I am sure!

(I am also providing - where possible - hyperlinked text for those who would like further explanations of the tech/images etc)

I will categorise - suggestions most welcome!

Ride Technology:
OTSR: Over the shoulder restraints (Example from Gerstlauer "Euro Fighter" Model eg: Saw the Ride)
MCBR: Mid Course Brake Run
LIM*: Linear Induction Motor (Electro Magnetic propelled launch system)
LSM*: Linear Synchronous Motor (As Above)
B&M: Bolliger & Mabillard (Coaster Manufacturers - Nemesis, Oblivion, Air, The Swarm etc)

*For better explanations of LIM vs LSM click here

Alton Towers General:
AT: Alton Towers
FV: Forbidden Valley (Area containing Nemesis and Air)
Events:
FW: Annual Fireworks Event
Scarefest:
ToTT: Tower of the Terrors (Scaremaze Attraction)
F1000S: Field of 1000 Screams (Former Scaremaze Attraction)
BH: Boiler House (Former Scaremaze Attraction

Thorpe Park General:
TP: Thorpe Park
FN: Fright Nights (Thorpe Parks Halloween event)
NI: Nemesis Inferno (Thorpe Parks version of Nemesis)
X:NWO: X: No Way Out (Thorpe Parks dark coaster)

Chessington World of Adventures General:
CWOA: Chessington World of Adventures

Miscellaneous:
TL: Travelodge (Used often for meets)
WV: Weathervane (Often stayed at during meets, in Stoke)
NIMBY: Not In My Back Yard (Often used to describe serial local objectors to new park developments)

Selection of other Popular Discussed Parks:

BGT: Busch Gardens Tampa
BGW: Busch Gardens Williamsburg
DMP: Drayton Manor Park
DLP: Disneyland Paris
EP: Europa Park
LWV: Lightwater Valley
PBB: Pleasure Beach Blackpool

Selection of other popular/discussed rides:
PMBO: Pepsi Max Big One (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
SM: Space Mountain (Multiple Disney Parks)
BTM: Big Thunder Mountain (Multiple Disney Parks)

Thanks to everyone who has offered up suggestions.

As per Psychoasters suggestion, I will be merging his thread into here, and hyperlinking all of the Abb's provided in there. This will probably take me a fair amount of time, and this page will be substantial. I hope it builds into hopefully a one stop shop for newbies (and dare I say some oldies!) to pop into and build their knowledge, and facilitate their discussions in the forum :)

I think we need to amalgamate this somehow - just to do some reverse upstaging, whilst maintaining an air of co-operation I'm adding links to each explanation so people can do further reading easily.

It's fusing into an education topic now also. It's taking me ages to find the best for each abbreviation! You are right though, something needs to be done here otherwise this thread will end up next to yours, and someone else will come along and do another!

;D

This feels like something really well-suited to the wiki.

We should use the wiki more. It used to get a lot of love and there's some great parody stuff on it (along with some not-so-great articles too), but amongst all that there's some good explanations for a lot of meet memes and conventions (see "Faff") and this would fit in quite well.

Jordan said:
This feels like something really well-suited to the wiki.

We should use the wiki more. It used to get a lot of love and there's some great parody stuff on it (along with some not-so-great articles too), but amongst all that there's some good explanations for a lot of meet memes and conventions (see "Faff") and this would fit in quite well.

To be fair though, not many people see or use the wiki. It's pretty invisible under the more tab at the top, and most new members on here will be looking at the main site/forum for information.

Maybe create a sticky topic in guest services which as a link to the wiki acronyms page and make it locked.

The Psychoaster said:
To be fair though, not many people see or use the wiki. It's pretty invisible under the more tab at the top, and most new members on here will be looking at the main site/forum for information.

Yes, that's true.

I think it's a vicious circle really. The wiki has the potential be a really good place to have information about the community, and I'm sure there's people here who would spend the time to look after it. But, given the amount of parody and in-jokes and the other random bits of content like excerpts from chat, how appropriate it would be to feature it as a major part of the site is quite disputable. It certainly can be very confusing when you first visit.

Ideally, there should be a divide here. I'm not quite sure where the line should lie between the useful meet and forum stuff (like this) and the parody stuff. You want to make the former really easy to get to, whilst making sure the latter can still exist, just not in a place that's so easy to access that everyone else comes across first.

Locking this topic would be defeat the object Dave.

The idea, is people can bring abbs they use into the forum, and explain. What happens when we have SW7's new name for example? Or a new ride, or even new park?

I am trying to make something now that will be stickied, can be contributed too, and edited.

I actually checked the Wiki to try and find where the abbs were, I couldn't even find it - the only way I did, was when Psychoaster sent me his link, within which Diogo had posted a link to it.

This is a forum, I'm coming at this, from a perspective of a point someone made on a slightly different topic, but also of that as a "newbie".

This needs to be, in my opinion, where the action takes place. If it's not wanted as a stickie then no worries, I will keep plodding along with it or just stop updating it further.

I do see the chance of making this a multiple point thread though now, that can be kept updated with links/resources/abbs all in one place.

New technology, new parks, new rides, all = new abbreviations/discussions/opportunities to learn and ultimately, a fluid thread.

Just my opinions/experiences, as always.

You failed to understand. The wiki has a list of abbreviations. You simply update the wiki with the latest ones. The topic would simply have a link to the wiki page. Why have several different pages with different abbreviations, when you can just post a link to one page with them all on? If people are not using the wiki that much, then start posting links to the wiki so people use it more. Simples!

Heres the wiki page. Add new abbreviations or acronyms there. http://www.towersstreet.com/wiki/Acronyms

Dave, the point I am making here is this is not just about abbreviations, it's about sourcing links and resources to what they mean also, and having it in the place the discussions actually take place.

This is something the entire forum can involve in, and does not require any effort on an already busy forum team to administer. So, you find a great link to explanations on LIMs for example, a new video - how do you then incorporate that easily into a site administered wiki?

You don't. Unless you can hyperlink the wiki and update it on a person by person basis (if you can, fair enough).

I didn't miss the point though, I'm trying to add more invention, more immersion, and more inclusivity and not make more work for the forum team. If I was just going to whack up a load of acronyms, fair enough, but I'm not as shown by the work I've done on it today.

This is a way to tie multiple topics/resources together easily and simply - and for everyone to get involved who would like to.

Anyway I was just trying to offer a contribution to the site :)

Anyone can edit the Wiki... Therefore it would be more approachable than a thread like this where only you or the forum team could edit the OP. There is little 'discussion' to have about abbreviations so a full open thread is unnecessary when a small introduction and explanation could be written in a post, followed by a link to the Wiki page.

The Wiki page could then explain in further detail about acronyms and definitions of coaster teminology and would be updatable by anyone.

Whilst I appreciate these things coming to light now, I find it odd that no one mentioned the fact the Wiki was fully publicly updateable, including being able to hyperlink them, in Psychoasters earlier thread that multiple people posted suggestions on.

It doesn't seem like many people know:
A) That it even exists, or indeed
B) That they are able to update, and hyperlink further information.

Bit annoying to find this all out in this manner, but also highlights the fact that newbies (which I still class myself as forum wise), who need it most, wouldn't have the foggiest it is even in existence.

I still think, that pointing out that it's easier to click through a topic, where information would be, to get to information, makes a click where there need not be one. That is by definition, an extra click is it not? After all, the forum is where exists the main focal requirement, for said abbreviations.

The point it can be self administered in the Wiki, is however a relevant one.

Sometimes however, the endless debating here is tiresome as I suit better to just getting on with something.

For now, I will stop work on this page, point an admin here, and see if they can make use or collaborate with what I was trying to do, for the good of the site and it's newer members.

Its not that this isn't a good idea, its just that web forum software is not designed to be a place to store large amounts of information that can be edited and used as a encyclopedia. That's what wiki pages are for. If you want to create a very large database of something, then you could use Google Docs/Drive and make it a publicly editable document and then post the link to it. I find that doing it that way opens it up to people making large changes and messing about with the layout much too easy and I also don't like the idea of people gaining access to parts of my Google Drive account.

I think using the wiki is the best idea and as for the wiki not being used much, well this site is new. I think we have to wait for things to bed down a bit more first and then maybe the wiki will pick up again. It was a place to add very funny comments and have a laugh. The hot drinks mugs from Scarefest weekend need to be added to the mug database for a staters if they haven't already!

TheMan said:
Whilst I appreciate these things coming to light now, I find it odd that no one mentioned the fact the Wiki was fully publicly updateable, including being able to hyperlink them, in Psychoasters earlier thread that multiple people posted suggestions on.
Because a Wiki is, by definition, something editable by anyone...

It doesn't seem like many people know:
A) That it even exists, or indeed
B) That they are able to update, and hyperlink further information.
The Wiki was in the main navbar at the top of the site until very recently and it is still there under 'more' - all it would take is being pointed there to view abbreviations or acronyms to advertise its existence. The Wiki homepage states how it can be edited by all.

Bit annoying to find this all out in this manner, but also highlights the fact that newbies (which I still class myself as forum wise), who need it most, wouldn't have the foggiest it is even in existence.
In what manner exactly? People could only explain the existence of all this after you have raised your idea... People aren't telepathic here and can't tell you to not make something before you post it :) Your point about people not knowing the Wiki exists is true though and has already been mentioned in this topic...

I still think, that pointing out that it's easier to click through a topic, where information would be, to get to information, makes a click where there need not be one. That is by definition, an extra click is it not? After all, the forum is where exists the main focal requirement, for said abbreviations.
If people are actually willing to click on a thread of abbreviations (which many wouldn't anyway) and read a short notice directing people to the Wiki page - then they are willing to click on another link. Your own argument is that a thread like this will save the team work... but if it is in a thread on the forum, it will only be editable by the OP and the team, as opposed to anyone on the Wiki.

Sometimes however, the endless debating here is tiresome as I suit better to just getting on with something.
It may seem tiresome to you, but you often seem to partake in it more than most...

Sorry if this sounds blunt or condescending in any way... I don't mean it to come across like that but I just see this all as a bit of a pointless discussion.

I take your point Dave, mine was simply that it didn't contain things about mugs, or the sillier end of the scale, or indeed tons of information. I was basing it, as a newbie, on what I feel is important to know to just get on in the forum, there is more than you would think - with this one I was going to put links out to further info, that is easy for a new member to understand.

I have a good idea of this, because I'm a relatively new member, and certainly haven't the extraordinary knowledge that many in here have. The Wiki is not easy to find, or use. Instead of asking the admin to address this, I decided to make it a bit more 3 in 1. Once you become more accustomed, the Wiki is a perfect place to move onto - this was a glancing, quick link, reference point.

This wasn't meant to replace the Wiki by the way, but to serve as a faster reference point. It can even link to the Wiki as well for those who want to find the more obscure stuff. Anyway I believe my reasoning is sound on this, but not doing it, makes me less work lol!

Also, it seems to be divided down the middle - some like this idea, others prefer a wiki! It is certainly not a clear cut Wiki is better. Hence I will ask one of the site developers, of their opinions. If they don't wish it to be done this way, that's fine with me. Personally, even if it is only part of the Wiki, I think it should be more appropriately positioned where it is actually most required.

And yes Mr Brightside, I will call it as I see it when I meet with criticisms, some of which have been profoundly unjustified and frankly unwelcoming - many more the opposite however I must add, some with suggestions I have taken warmly on board incidentally... there are ways and means. The impression of debate, is one of often expressing an opinion, having it derided, then feeling I have to defend my intentions when clearly stated and ignored in favour of more debate, about a point that was not even of relevance.

This has been one of the more difficult places to integrate I have found, across many walks of life, I have found it quite extraordinary at times - this is not about this post, but specifically this comment:

It may seem tiresome to you, but you often seem to partake in it more than most...

Neither am I alone in noticing it.

I don't think the whole acronym side of things is a massive issue to be honest. Topic titles on the whole use the full ride/attraction name. If there's any title that's confusing, then feel free to hit the report button if a team member hasn't picked up on it already. A quick read of the topic can normally clarify what an acronym means, or even utilising Google or asking in the topic itself.

However, I agree with comments surrounding using the wiki. It's difficult to keep on top of acronyms from a team point of view, and in the spirit of community involvement I personally much prefer to have the ability for all members to contribute to such a list. A forum topic is great but that must rely on the original topic author or team members editing the topic. Moving forward, I'm sure we can look into maybe including a link to that particular page in future, perhaps on the welcome e-mail, or a sticky on the forum.

Edit: I've locked the other abbreviations topic as we seem to be duplicating discussion on this at the moment. Whatever we end up doing from an acronym point of view in future, we can always look to splitting off the relevant posts from the discussion topic to sticky if we need to.

I think there are two issues here Craig.

The other topic was largely about it appearing in titles, mine is more about how they're used frequently through posts, and creating a page of common ones that link automatically to more detailed links on that topic specifically. Like for example, linking to engineering sites (as I did above) to explain LIM propulsion.

I didn't care about this stuff at first, but as I got more interested, as did my desire to learn more. Therefore I felt something with a succinct link system would be of benefit, to those seeking a quick reference. These are things I felt I needed, and no forum has really delivered upon so far.

It's easy to forget how little some people know on this subject, crikey, I've been around coasters for years and still learn something new every day on here!! Only complimentary to those knowledgeable folks involved and sharing it freely.

This could become a valuable resource and go to point, if it is done correctly. Is my way correct? Not entirely clearly, but neither is the Wiki page - that's good for people to add, but a comprehensive knowledge base, with top quality links, based from abbreviations gives a simple two step level of education to those who would like to know more.

1. What's the abb mean?
2. Where can I learn more?

It's a complex subject, taking in multiple disciplines - creativity, engineering, physics etc. The thing is, in this forum, there are a quite a few who discuss it! I often have to go away into google for information, so why not simply provide it here, in one place.

That, is what I am proposing.

EDIT: Not necessarily in a thread, hence I said it would be wise to discuss with the team their thoughts.

Im abit disappointed that we have to have an abbreviation page, surely if you see it in a thread and don't know an abbreviation you would google it (like this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SBNO) or just ask in the thread - our community of members is very welcoming and don't mind sharing knowledge if someone asks.

As for the wiki, I love the wiki - its basically wikipedia, the worlds biggest online encyclopaedia, but just about the geekyness of TS and alton towers. What could possibly go wrong?