• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersPlans - Planning applications database

Jordan

TS Contributor
When I first built this, I posted this on TTF, but I've made some changes lately and I'd like to give it a mention again here :)

If you've ever used the Staffordshire Moorlands Planning Portal, you'll know what a pain it can be to trawl through the planning applications for Alton Towers. It's slow, complicated, and in some web browsers it won't work at all. You can't always bookmark a page and be sure it will still work when you visit later, and I've found myself trawling through page after page of applications trying to find a particular one.

To make this a bit easier, a few months ago I built the website TowersPlans. It's really simple and presents each application in a way that makes it much easier to read. You can see the whole list on a single page, and you can filter them by whether they've been approved or not. I've also grouped quite a lot of the applications by the attractions they're about - so you can see the Secret Weapon 7 applications easier, or applications about The Towers.

The site works by pulling the data in from the planning portal every morning, so the site keeps itself up-to-date on a daily basis. I've recently made changes so that this will track the history of each application whenever there is a change, so you can now see a list of all the recent activity on the homepage, which should make it easier to spot new applications when they appear.

If you're a developer, there's also an API, so that you can pull in the latest applications into your own website without having to go through the hassle of querying the planning portal yourself.

In the future, I want to look at other ways in which the site can use the data - and being able to annotate applications with more information about what it relates to and where on the resort it is.

I'd really like to know what you think, and if there's anything that could be done to make it easier to use. :)

Reactions: Sku
Quick question, how does your site specifically pull AT planning info from the portal. In other words, how does it filter out all other planning applications that are non-AT related?

Otherwise, I think it's a great idea. Nice, intuitive, minimalistic design - runs very efficiently and presents the information in a very practical and easy to navigate manner :)

The site visits the property page on the portal for Alton Towers first, and then loads the list of planning applications specific to that property. :)

Jordan said:
The site visits the property page on the portal for Alton Towers first, and then loads the list of planning applications specific to that property. :)

Very, very clever. Respect to you for coding it all yourself from scratch and ending up with such a great looking interface. :)

That site is awesome, really impressive. The only thing it lacks is that map on the planning portal page that lets you view over Alton Towers and the area of each application is highlighted. But that would be really hard to implement.

Just a suggestion; have you thought of integrating it with TowersStreet once the archives section goes live? Even if you keep the sites separate this definitely deserves a very noticeable link to it.

Tim said:
The only thing it lacks is that map on the planning portal page that lets you view over Alton Towers and the area of each application is highlighted. But that would be really hard to implement.
Yes - I'd like to do this. If there's one particular thing of the portal which is terrible, it's the map. From my mileage, it does not work at all unless you're using Internet Explorer, and when it does work, you have to fumble around tiles of an OS map.

Unfortunately, obtaining this data directly from the planning portal itself is nigh-on impossible, so I'd have to do the mapping of this myself on an application-by-application basis.

Tim said:
Just a suggestion; have you thought of integrating it with TowersStreet once the archives section goes live? Even if you keep the sites separate this definitely deserves a very noticeable link to it.
TowersStreet, along with any other website, is free to use any of the data I've provided. :)

I've also tried to link out to relevant pages on TowersStreet for each attraction, such as the link on the SW7 attraction page. When the archives section goes live, I'll visit some of the older applications to link those across, too.

Such a useful find! And it still works. Could be a useful site for the months ahead. Sorry to bring a thread that's 3 years old back from the dead but thought it may be of interest given the likely SW8 application coming soon