• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet COVID-19 Vaccine Poll

What is your COVID-19 vaccination status?

• Partially vaccinated (Pfizer)

Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Fully vaccinated (Pfizer)

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Partially vaccinated (AstraZeneca)

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Fully vaccinated (AstraZeneca)

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Partially vaccinated (Other)

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Fully vaccinated (Other)

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Not sure whether to get vaccine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely not getting vaccine

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Haven’t had the vaccine yet, but plan to get it

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters
I think more data and research is needed, but it looks like the Delta variant is more able to evade vaccines and infect people than Alpha was, but vaccine protection against serious illness and death is still high.

Speaking of vaccines, managed to get my second dose booked for 8 weeks and a day after my first.

Got my first dose today at 4. Waited a few days to book it after being eligible, to try and get a site closer to myself as all the ones being offered were at least 10 miles away! But managed to get a close one… and I get to leave work early:rolleyes: happy days.

When fully vaccinated, isn’t it more a case of if you do still get Covid, you’re highly unlikely to die or get seriously ill from it, rather than that you simply can’t get it?

Though infection rates are up again, deaths and hospital admissions are way less than pre-vaccine, so it must be having a positive effect.

That's a good point actually that I did not think of. As 4 of them have had mild symptoms so far. The other one not so, but that could be for a whole host of other reasons.

Vaccines aren't perfect. There will still be some vaccinated people who get Covid and die. However it is significantly less than in the general population.

When it’s said that the vaccines are 95% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID or whatever the number might be for your particular jab, that doesn’t mean that 95% of recipients won’t get COVID. It means that if you receive the jab, your chance of getting symptomatic COVID is 95% lower than if you were unvaccinated, so there is still a chance of you contracting COVID even if you’re vaccinated, but that chance is around 95% lower if you’re vaccinated than if you’re unvaccinated.

Vaccines are not a silver bullet, but they are very, very effective. Yes, there is still a chance of you getting COVID even if you’re fully vaccinated, but that chance is substantially lower than if you didn’t take the vaccine, and the reduction in chance is even more profound if we’re talking about things like severe COVID, hospitalisation with COVID and death from COVID.

That's a good point actually that I did not think of. As 4 of them have had mild symptoms so far. The other one not so, but that could be for a whole host of other reasons.

That’s what I gather from bits that I’ve heard. Get everyone double jabbed, then far less chance of getting it, and if you do anyway, chances are it knocks you out for a few days like flu, then you get up and get on with life.

Hopefully come Sept it won’t be such a big deal in schools either or they may have changed the isolating rules by then anyway. Currently got both sons off isolating, sent home a day apart, as they were identified as close contacts from someone who had a positive lateral flow test. Both of said persons then confirmed positive PCR test next day. No symptoms for my lads and lateral flow home tests negative. But by the time they return to school it’s hardly worth them going back as they finish on the 16th anyway.

By Sept surely all parents of school age kids will have been double jabbed, then maybe the isolating thing will stop. Then if they get it, they get it, have a few days off sick and return like if they had the flu. But we won’t have this dogs dinner of them being sent home and told they can’t do anything for 10 days. The schools are decimated right now, I saw 2 more groups of kids seemingly walking back home at 11 today, it can’t go on like this.

Felt awful post first dose of Pfizer, looking forward to the apparently much worse effects of the second one. Yaaay. Still better than COVID though.

Had second dose yesterday eve after work. AstraZeneca. Feel much better than 1st time round.
Experience not as slick as first time as they actually ran out of vaccine when I arrived and another batch was being hastily got together. Which was the last for the rest of this week if the AstraZeneca so I heard. But still for parking up to leaving was around 45 mins so not the end of the world.
The person who did my pre jab assessment was called Neil Ferguson. No relation apparently . Must of heard it a 1000 times that day the poor guy
I await with interest the goal posts moving again before 19th July and ‘we need a couple more weeks to gather the data ‘ being banded about again if it isn’t already.

Sorry if this has been shared before (maybe even by me, I can’t keep up), but with the talk of vaccines working/people still getting covid etc I thought it would be useful. It’s worth a watch.

If you need evidence of the vaccine’s efficacy even against merely getting COVID, here’s some: https://apple.news/Av56S1rOmRa-NlZs5AojWvg

Basically, COVID broke out at a birthday party in Australia with 30 guests. All 24 unvaccinated guests later tested positive. The 6 guests who were fully vaccinated didn’t test positive.

Proof if it was needed that vaccines are very effective against even contracting the disease full stop!

So how come large numbers of local families here in Blackburn are locked in at home, with many parents/grandparents poorly with the delta variant, despite having had two jabs?
The vaccines may be stopping hospitalisations, but there are many getting ill with two shots of vaccine.

In what’s quite a funny quirk, my parents have had both doses of AZ (Mum was bad after dose 1, but fine after dose 2, with Dad having no issues other than a sore arm). I had the Pfizer. My brothers (29 and 26) have had their first doses this week, and both got the Pfizer! It’s rather strange how it’s managed to work out in that way. :p They’ve reported no side-effects other than a sore arm, but that’s standard for any vaccine anyway.
What's the quirk? The order in which the siblings got their jabs?

So how come large numbers of local families here in Blackburn are locked in at home, with many parents/grandparents poorly with the delta variant, despite having had two jabs?
The vaccines may be stopping hospitalisations, but there are many getting ill with two shots of vaccine.
Of course not everyone is protected from COVID infection by double vaccination, but the vast majority are; the vaccine substantially reduces the chance of contracting the disease. The vaccines are up to 95% effective at preventing symptomatic COVID after 2 doses in some cases!

In some cases!
Of course; not in all cases. Some people do contract COVID after getting fully vaccinated, but the percentage is quite low. The efficacy also varies by jab; the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, for instance, was said to be 88% effective against infection with the Delta variant, whereas the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine was said to be around 60% effective against infection with the Delta variant.

The scientist on the BBC this morning explained that even if you still catch covid after having the double jab, you will unlikely become seriously ill, but you will still go on to produce another layer of immune response

Appears to be just a matter of sample size. A group of 24 is most likely to follow the statistical expectation and you find no anomalies. Look at a whole town and you see all the anomalies which seems like a lot at a glance, but compared to the sample size it really isn't.