• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet European Cup: Playoff 2

Top 5 Germany

• Fluch Von Novgorod

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Colossos

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Karnan

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Wodan

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Expedition GeForce

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • Taron

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Blue Fire

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Silver Star

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Black Mamba

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Karacho

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Martin

TS Member
With the Winter Olympics underway, a World Cup in summer, the rugby lot doing whatever it is they're up to and the Mitch Hawker poll making a sort-of return, I'm in the mood for some competition to wile away the last few weeks of closed season. A mini version of the old polls we used to do on here to find our favourite European coaster!

The Cup will start with 40 coasters in 4 groups of 10 sorted by country, with the top 5 from each advancing to a randomised 2 groups of 10 quarter finals, then a top 10 semi final, with the top 5 once more advancing to a grand final. In the first and second rounds, each member will have 5 votes to allocate, in the semi final 3 votes, and a single vote in the final. Group 1 is UK and Ireland, Group 2 is Germany, Group 3 is Scandinavia and Group 4 is the rest of Europe. This week we are doing groups 1 and 2, next week will be 3 and 4. The two quarter finals the week after and the top 10 taking us up to The Wickerman opening, with this all wrapping up in the following week.

As was traditional, the Alton Towers coasters are banned. The old MH polls, general consensus and ridership on here have been used to choose the rides. Didn't seem fair to include rides that most people on here haven't been on etc. To avoid completely spamming up the place I've kept it to 40 total and to keep the country theme there's some obvious exclusions and if your favourite is missing, a larger poll next winter if this one goes well is possible.

The winner will receive a coveted TST VIP Limited Edition Box (RRP £80) including a keyring, pin badge, and a £5 voucher for the Alton Towers Resort Hotels (NOt valid during Scarefest, Fireworks, or the months of July and August).

So here we go with Group 2, Germany. 10 coasters, 5 votes each, and the top 5 advance.

Fluch von Novgorod, Hansa Park

Colossus (SBNO in 2017-18), Heide Park

Karnan, Hansa Park

Wodan, EuropaPark

Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park

Taron, PhantasiaLand

Blue Fire, EuropaPark

Silver Star, EuropaPark

Black Mamba, PhantasiaLand

Karacho, Tripsdrill

My order of preference (with * indicating I have ridden the coaster):
1. Taron*
2. Wodan*
3. Expedition GeForce
4. Karacho
5. Blue Fire*
-----------------------
6. Colossos
7. Fluch von Novgorod
8. Karnan
9. Black Mamba*
10. Silver Star*

Sticking to coasters I've primarily ridden as my first choices.

1. Wodan
2. Blue Fire
3. Silver Star
4. Taron
5. Black Mamba

Would be different if I had ridden all of them :p

Sticking to coasters I've primarily ridden as my first choices.

Would be different if I had ridden all of them :p

Isn't a big part of this competition to try to judge the coasters objectively? Otherwise we just get a result where the most-ridden coasters progress / win.

Reactions: Rob
Isn't a big part of this competition to try to judge the coasters objectively? Otherwise we just get a result where the most-ridden coasters progress / win.

I know, but I like to properly judge a coaster on if I've ridden it or not since I know them better than some others. FWIW I've only ridden the Europa ones and not the Phantasialand ones I've listed :)

Like i said in the other group I think there'll always be at least a bit of unconscious bias, so without the Mitch Hawker style complexity or the scale of a bigger poll, I've leant a bit towards including coasters more people will have been on, or at least be more familiar with, so they all have more of a chance. I'd rather have 2 rides lose out because most people not having ridden them, than have everyone vote for one ride because they've only been on it and nothing else and skew the results completely, if that makes sense

Now this is a much tougher group; I would probably rate all of these coasters above all of the coasters in the UK group! From this group I have ridden Wodan, Blue Fire, Silver Star, EGF, Black Mamba, Taron and Karacho,

My top 5, in no particular order, are as follows:
  • Wodan
  • EGF
  • Taron
  • Colossos
  • Silver Star
:)

1. Wodan *
2. EGF *
3. Taron *
4. Karnan
5. Colossus

6. Fluch Von Novgorod
7. Silver Star *
8. Blue Fire *
9. Black Mamba *
10. Karacho *

* I have ridden

A tough call indeed!

The strength of this group is incredible, it contains 2 previous winners l've not even voted for!

Black mamba to me is coaster perfection - rode it love it. It’s the nearest thing I have been on to nemesis

Wodan and Blue Fire are very very very good rides - they complete my top 3

AAAAANNNNDDDDD the results are in! Thank you very much for voting, see you in the next round!

Fluch
2 votes
More like flushed amiright

Colossus
5 votes
Being closed for two years probably didn't help tbf

Karnan
6 votes
First big upset of the poll imo

Karacho
7 votes
Karachout