• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

As numerous people seem keen to start earlier, I am moving the start of the contest forward by 1 week. Round 1 will now drop on Saturday 16th December 2023 at 12am. As such, there will also be one more round in the contest than originally planned.

Just to confirm, the following people have expressed interest in competing so far:
  1. @Matt N
  2. @Thameslink Rail
  3. @RicketyCricket
  4. @cloudburster
  5. @mo237
  6. @Matt878787
  7. @Poisson
  8. @The_bup
  9. @Connor98
  10. @Matt.GC
  11. @tactic
  12. @MattyH
If I've missed your name off the list, please tell me and I'll add you in.

If you are interested in competing and haven't registered your interest yet, I'd encourage you to post in this thread and register your interest before I reveal Round 1 on Saturday.
Hi Matt,

Now you’ve moved the start earlier a week, I’m not able to participate in round 1. I’m on holiday unfortunately (I know i got my priorities wrong, Planco > skiing), if i don’t participate in the 1st week is that ok?

Hi Matt,

Now you’ve moved the start earlier a week, I’m not able to participate in round 1. I’m on holiday unfortunately (I know i got my priorities wrong, Planco > skiing), if i don’t participate in the 1st week is that ok?
Yes, that’s fine. You don’t have to participate every week, and you can dip in and out whenever you need to.

Week 1 Weekly Digest (16th-22nd December 2023)
OK folks; the 2023/24 contest has now begun! Let's get straight into the nitty gritty of the Round 1 brief, shall we?
Round 1 Building
It's time to reveal the first round of the competition! The brief for Round 1 is... Montezooma's Revenge Replacement at Knott's Berry Farm! The context for the round is as follows:
In early 2022, Knott's Berry Farm started an ambitious refurbishment project of their iconic Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop, Montezooma's Revenge. The project was started with good intentions, and the drive was certainly there to refurbish this classic coaster faithfully. However, we're now almost 2 years in, and things have gone awry behind the scenes. The project has been delayed considerably, and rumours of things such as the loop being erroneously removed and lawsuits being filed against suppliers have been circulating. Whatever the true situation on site is, Cedar Fair has found themselves needing to back out of the project and concoct a quick replacement, so they've enlisted you to design a coaster to replace Montezooma's Revenge. They have said that it cannot stray outside of the long, narrow plot previously occupied by Montezooma's Revenge, and they would also like you to retain some of Montezooma's Revenge's most iconic elements. Other than that, however, the sky's the limit! What coaster would you replace Montezooma's Revenge with? Show us!
The constraints for the round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 591ft*164ft/180m*50m
  • Minimum of 1 Launch
  • Minimum of 1 Inversion
For some idea, we'll be working with the following area of Knott's Berry Farm (It's the area circled in black and labelled "Montezooma"... my apologies for the very crude drawing):
Montezooma-s-Revenge-Area.png

To apply the footprint constraints, I would recommend using the Scenario Editor to make yourself a park template that allows you to enforce the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have created a Steam Workshop park template with the footprint constraints pre-imposed, which you can download here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3114042492

For console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. Path and wall pieces are typically 4m in length, for reference. I know it's not ideal, but it's unfortunately the best I can recommend given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 1 is Friday 22nd December 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 1. Good luck with Round 1, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building, everybody!

Week 1 Weekly Digest (16th-22nd December 2023)
OK folks; the 2023/24 contest has now begun! Let's get straight into the nitty gritty of the Round 1 brief, shall we?
Round 1 Building
It's time to reveal the first round of the competition! The brief for Round 1 is... Montezooma's Revenge Replacement at Knott's Berry Farm! The context for the round is as follows:

The constraints for the round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 591ft*164ft/180m*50m
  • Minimum of 1 Launch
  • Minimum of 1 Inversion
For some idea, we'll be working with the following area of Knott's Berry Farm (It's the area circled in black and labelled "Montezooma"... my apologies for the very crude drawing):
Montezooma-s-Revenge-Area.png

To apply the footprint constraints, I would recommend using the Scenario Editor to make yourself a park template that allows you to enforce the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have created a Steam Workshop park template with the footprint constraints pre-imposed, which you can download here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3114042492

For console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. Path and wall pieces are typically 4m in length, for reference. I know it's not ideal, but it's unfortunately the best I can recommend given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 1 is Friday 22nd December 2023 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 1. Good luck with Round 1, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building, everybody!
The fact that theming doesn’t count is making me have the weirdest type of itch. I need to theme it because I want to but… no points. GAH!

The fact that theming doesn’t count is making me have the weirdest type of itch. I need to theme it because I want to but… no points. GAH!
You absolutely can add some theming if you want to, but at its heart, this is a coaster layout building contest.

My reason for erring against considering theming is because theming in Planet Coaster can often be very time-consuming compared to simply building a coaster layout, and some folk may have more time for that than others. I think a week to build a fully themed coaster is quite a tight squeeze for many (myself included), so I thought it might be simpler to just focus on the layout.

You absolutely can add some theming if you want to, but at its heart, this is a coaster layout building contest.

My reason for erring against considering theming is because theming in Planet Coaster can often be very time-consuming compared to simply building a coaster layout, and some folk may have more time for that than others. I think a week to build a fully themed coaster is quite a tight squeeze for many (myself included), so I thought it might be simpler to just focus on the layout.
Makes perfect sense, probably will though as I have nothing to do over winter break. I think I’ve made an absolutely unhinged Layout though

I themed some of my entries, built stations for others and left some entirely unthemed. All down to time availabilities.

I have now completed my submission for Round 1! Say hello to... Montezooma II, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster:
Montezooma-II-Entrance.png

Montezooma-II-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Montezooma II
  • Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
  • Model: Infinity Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 271ft/83m
  • Speed: 88mph/142kph
  • Length: 5,385ft/1,641m
  • Inversions: 5
  • Airtime Moments: 6
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 6.2G (overall and heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.4G (overall), -1.2G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 3 trains of 4 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,388pph (~87 trains per hour, 1 train every ~41s)
If you'd like to play with Montezooma II for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3115441158

So, that's Montezooma II, my Round 1 submission! I know it's not my greatest submission ever, and I admit in hindsight that I may have been a tad ambitious in terms of scale for the plot, but I hope you all like it nonetheless!

I have now completed my submission for Round 1! Say hello to... Montezooma II, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster:
Montezooma-II-Entrance.png

Montezooma-II-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Montezooma II
  • Manufacturer: Gerstlauer
  • Model: Infinity Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 271ft/83m
  • Speed: 88mph/142kph
  • Length: 5,385ft/1,641m
  • Inversions: 5
  • Airtime Moments: 6
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 6.2G (overall and heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.4G (overall), -1.2G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 3 trains of 4 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 1,388pph (~87 trains per hour, 1 train every ~41s)
If you'd like to play with Montezooma II for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3115441158

So, that's Montezooma II, my Round 1 submission! I know it's not my greatest submission ever, and I admit in hindsight that I may have been a tad ambitious in terms of scale for the plot, but I hope you all like it nonetheless!

This is probably one of the best submissions that I have seen from you.

Sorry if this seems like a random question, but out of interest, are any console players aware of what the upper bound of the object limit is on console?

Needs a launch, needs an inversion, tight space? Can't be a GIB so why not a LIB? 80mph, 210ft tall and 4/8 inversions.

1702762525118.png

1702763205195.png

Excellent submission @Poisson! Your ride looks fast, smooth and thrilling, and I do think that adding a launch into the Giant Inverted Boomerang concept is a really cool idea! It almost looks like an awesome cross between a GIB and an Intamin impulse coaster!

Sorry if this seems like a random question, but out of interest, are any console players aware of what the upper bound of the object limit is on console?
There's no published number attached to it, it just gives you a percentage. I've got to 100% a few times. It also depends on platform as it's around 30% more on Series X and PS5 than you get on Xbox One and PS4. It can be cheated slightly by saving park areas as Blueprints and then pasting into one Sandbox which I have done.

It's probably enough to build a large fully functioning park with light theming (you can landscape and add water as much as you want as it doesn't count as pieces), or a couple of heavily themed areas. I usually use one Sandbox for the coasters I submit in this contest without any issues.

Got a question Matt, when i start participating next week, do you get bonus points for custom supporting to make it seem more realistic, or is it based solely on the layout for realism?

Also if i smooth my coaster down to 2m/1m would that bring me an advantage too making it smoother and more realistic?