• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

I have now completed my submission for Round 2! Say hello to... Terra Firma, a Mack Rides Launch Coaster:
Terra-Firma-Entrance.png

Terra-Firma-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Terra Firma
  • Manufacturer: Mack Rides
  • Model: Launch Coaster (Custom)
  • Height Differential: 199ft/61m
  • Speed: 70mph/113kph
  • Length: 7,470ft/2,277m
  • Inversions: 3
  • Airtime Moments: 7
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4.8G (overall), 4.2G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.6G (overall), -1.3G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 4 trains of 6 cars/24 riders
  • Throughput: 1,570pph (~65 trains per hour, 1 train every ~55s)
If you'd like to play with Terra Firma for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3120883050

So that's Terra Firma, my Round 2 submission! I hope you all like it!

On a side note, I must say that building Terra Firma has given me the view that the cross valley coaster isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be as an idea... the valley was only just wide enough to fit a drop and a rise back up. And I did find that integrating the valley drops made the pacing of the ride a little bit disjointed compared to if it was just a regular coaster...

I have now completed my submission for Round 2! Say hello to... Terra Firma, a Mack Rides Launch Coaster:
Terra-Firma-Entrance.png

Terra-Firma-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: Terra Firma
  • Manufacturer: Mack Rides
  • Model: Launch Coaster (Custom)
  • Height Differential: 199ft/61m
  • Speed: 70mph/113kph
  • Length: 7,470ft/2,277m
  • Inversions: 3
  • Airtime Moments: 7
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 4.8G (overall), 4.2G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -1.6G (overall), -1.3G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 4 trains of 6 cars/24 riders
  • Throughput: 1,570pph (~65 trains per hour, 1 train every ~55s)
If you'd like to play with Terra Firma for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3120883050

So that's Terra Firma, my Round 2 submission! I hope you all like it!

On a side note, I must say that building Terra Firma has given me the view that the cross valley coaster isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be as an idea... the valley was only just wide enough to fit a drop and a rise back up. And I did find that integrating the valley drops made the pacing of the ride a little bit disjointed compared to if it was just a regular coaster...

That was quite a long ride! I liked the custom inversions.

Round 1 Voting
OK, folks. The Round 1 submissions are in, so the voting stage can now begin!

Please vote for your Round 1 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1RRCIfcPyAtxBjmCEE2o4oePccAK5zLdlrZZYe8Em6ukvEg/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. Therefore, if you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Realism or Originality if you wish. These nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you wish, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Realism or Originality. As the Bonus Round doubling rule also applies to Realism and Originality points, each Realism or Originality nomination a player gets will grant them 2 Realism points or 2 Originality points.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is more anonymous than some may like. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Realism or Originality nominations. However, can I please request that the Google Form be your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here is a reminder of everyone's submissions so that you know what you're voting for:
  • Montezooma II, a Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster by @Matt N:
  • Unnamed Intamin Impulse Coaster by @Poisson:
  • Full Monty-zuma, a Premier Rides launch coaster by @RicketyCricket:
  • Unnamed Intamin Blitz Coaster by @Connor98:
  • Montezooma's Revenge's Revenge, a Mack Rides Launch Coaster by @Willt7:
  • Monte's ZoomZooms, an Intamin Lift and Launch Coaster by @MattyH:
  • Monte Go Zoom Zoom, a Premier Rides launch coaster by @Matt.GC:
  • Angel's Flight, an Intamin Accelerator Coaster by @Thameslink Rail:
  • Great Uncle Monty's Zoomer, a Mack Rides Launch Coaster by @The_bup:

Voting for Round 1 closes on Friday 29th December 2023 at 11:59pm, and the results will be revealed as part of the Week 3 Weekly Digest.

Get voting for your Round 1 favourites, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about Round 1 voting, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me. I am always more than happy to help.

Here is my creation for week 2: Valley Vengance!

Name: Valley Vengance
Manufacturer: RMC
Model: I-Box (launched custom) (using realism v3 mod)
Height Differential: 203ft
Speed: 71mph
Length: 4166ft
Inversions: 6
Airtime Count: 4
Max Vertical Gs: 4.42g
Max Lateral Gs: 2.01g
Min Vertical Gs: -1.49g
Key features/USPs: Worlds first double launched RMC (I think...), vertical drop.

As Matt said in his post, I found building this to be decently difficult, there wasn't really enough speed in the valley to get the coaster back out and the other space there is I felt I couldn't utilise properly.

Last edited:
I haven’t come up with a single piece of track yet. This is actually quite difficult

Awesome submission @The_bup! Your ride looks great, with some nice airtime and awesome custom inversions!

I guess that would be OK. I wasn’t sure on doing terrain for the valley because I wasn’t sure how you’d enforce the constraints that way, but if you feel you can, then be my guest!

I also agree that the way you’ve mentioned is probably quicker for getting the height dimensions right than the way I mentioned…
Based on this post ^

Is this acceptable? If not I can start again using the buildings with a gap in the middle.

1000029434.jpg

I dug down and built a test coaster with a drop into the valley, to get the depth right using drop height.

Here is my creation for week 2: Valley Vengance!

Name: Valley Vengance
Manufacturer: RMC
Model: I-Box (launched custom) (using realism v3 mod)
Height Differential: 203ft
Speed: 71mph
Length: 4166ft
Inversions: 6
Airtime Count: 4
Max Vertical Gs: 4.42g
Max Lateral Gs: 2.01g
Min Vertical Gs: -1.49g
Key features/USPs: Worlds first double launched RMC (I think...), vertical drop.

As Matt said in his post, I found building this to be decently difficult, there wasn't really enough speed in the valley to get the coaster back out and the other space there is I felt I couldn't utilise properly.

Nice submission @tactic! You've got some really nice custom inversions and airtime moments in there!

I must ask; how did you get launch tracks into an RMC hybrid coaster? I didn't think that a launch track was an option for that ride type!
Based on this post ^

Is this acceptable? If not I can start again using the buildings with a gap in the middle.

1000029434.jpg

I dug down and built a test coaster with a drop into the valley, to get the depth right using drop height.
I've decided to be a little more flexible with the constraints and allow you to implement the round using an actual valley if you see fit. With this in mind, what you show is fine provided you can find a way to apply the constraints of the round accurately using terraforming.

I put the template in, built my coaster and then removed the template and terraformed to fill the area where the template was. Coaster removed from this as it's not 100%

1703459876029-png.8349

Attachments

• 1703459876029.png
    1703459876029.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 74
I must ask; how did you get launch tracks into an RMC hybrid coaster? I didn't think that a launch track was an option for that ride type!
Realism v3 mod. It allows all types of track peices that are not in game, but have been used in real life for certain coaster types. Thats why on the launch sections there is no track, because there is no visual for a launched hybrid in default planco. I can't remember the rules on mods like this for this competition though, if I'm not allowed to use it just let me know and I'll do another submissiom.

Realism v3 mod. It allows all types of track peices that are not in game, but have been used in real life for certain coaster types. Thats why on the launch sections there is no track, because there is no visual for a launched hybrid in default planco. I can't remember the rules on mods like this for this competition though, if I'm not allowed to use it just let me know and I'll do another submissiom.
You can use it if you wish. I don’t mind.

I have to say, though, that I didn’t know Planet Coaster had mods…

Last edited:
You can use it if you wish. I don’t mind.

I have to say, though, that I didn’t know Planet Coaster had mods…
There's a few yeah, definitly very helpful for coaster building in my opinion. I think there's an official planco modding discord server if you want to find out more/need help installing mods!

Following the collapse of Arrow in 2002, Towers did not panic and rush out a 2003 concept and build an alternative 2005 coaster (Rita) but instead stuck with the concept they already had planned by Arrow and got Vekoma to finish the job. With the design engineered to take traditional Arrow trains, Vekoma used them for a final time. With a nearly 2.25 miles (11801ft) ride length and getting up to 67mph whilst being able to handle 1600pph this would have been Arrow's swansong.

1703586975431.png

1703587016228.png

1703587195139.png

Following the collapse of Arrow in 2002, Towers did not panic and rush out a 2003 concept and build an alternative 2005 coaster (Rita) but instead stuck with the concept they already had planned by Arrow and got Vekoma to finish the job. With the design engineered to take traditional Arrow trains, Vekoma used them for a final time. With a nearly 2.25 miles (11801ft) ride length and getting up to 67mph whilst being able to handle 1600pph this would have been Arrow's swansong.

1703586975431.png

1703587016228.png

1703587195139.png

Excellent submission @Poisson! An Arrow (Vekoma?) Suspended Coaster is certainly a unique response to the brief, and your ride is obscenely long with some great moments of speed and intensity!

For everyone else; I’d just like to remind you that we are now half way through Week 2.

I’ve had 3 responses to the Round 1 Voting Google Form so far, including my own. If you’d like to vote for your Round 1 favourites, here’s the form allowing you to do so: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1RRCIfcPyAtxBjmCEE2o4oePccAK5zLdlrZZYe8Em6ukvEg/viewform

There have been 3 submissions for Round 2 so far, including my own. If you would like a deadline extension for Round 2, please notify me before the deadline and I would be happy to facilitate one for you. If you have any issues with uploading videos or anything at all, get in touch with me and I would be very happy to solve these issues for you. If you do not get into contact with me before the deadline, I will assume that you are happy forfeiting this round and move on.

Week 2 ends on Friday 29th December 2023 at 11:59pm, and this is the deadline for both Round 2 building and Round 1 voting.

Excellent submission @Poisson! An Arrow (Vekoma?) Suspended Coaster is certainly a unique response to the brief, and your ride is obscenely long with some great moments of speed and intensity!

It's an Arrow, just making something up that'd fit the time period. Video is currently only in SD, HD is taking its sweet time.

Is Rita's site included in your template? I'm under the impression the station would be around there, with only a turn around and lift from FV for space reasons.

It's an Arrow, just making something up that'd fit the time period. Video is currently only in SD, HD is taking its sweet time.

Is Rita's site included in your template? I'm under the impression the station would be around there, with only a turn around and lift from FV for space reasons.
The encompassed area was the rough area taken up by the 2003 proposal, and I was under the impression that that area didn’t go as far into Dark Forest as where Rita is currently situated. With that in mind, I did not include Rita’s site in the area.

Name: Pigeons Plunge
Manufacturer: Intamin
Model: Steel multi-launch
Height Differential: I don't know how to get this...
Speed: 77mph
Length: 4909ft
Biggest drop: 171ft
Inversions: 2
Airtime Count: 5

The Midlands answer to Falcons Flight - a custom terrain thrill coaster featuring 3 individual launch sensations, Pigeons Plunge swoops through the trees, up and over the iconic Staffordshire valleys, and through airtime, inversions, and two unique 170ft drops.

I'm not sure if I followed the challenge rules correctly, I think I have? haha. I have included videos with and without my interpretation of the valley and scenery! Really enjoyed this, as I struggled with getting something done for the first week's challenge, and I love a swoopy, bendy ride, yes I do Matron. It's a bit wobbly in places, smoothing isn't my best skill haha.

Sorry if the Google Drive link is potato quality - if you can download it, it should be the OG 1080p file. CBA with setting up a YouTube!
edit: did a YouTube, the potato quality of Google Drive was upsetting my brain.

Happy Christmas everyone!

Last edited:
I present, BUT WHY: THE RIDE

The year is 1993, Vekoma are working on an inverted looping design for a rollercoaster.

They get together with a medicinal cocktail of alcohol and happy pills and suddenly the phone rings from a Mr J Wardley,

What if they built an inverted looping coaster but cross valley?

BUT WHY is the shout from EVERYONE.

Did I mention the TWO beyond vertical drops?

20231226205806_1.jpg

20231226210130_1.jpg

20231226210147_1.jpg

20231226220203_1.jpg

20231226220215_1.jpg

POV: