• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Planet Coaster Speed Build Contest 2023/24: Winners Declared (contest ended 16th March)

Week 4 Weekly Digest (6th-12th January 2024)
All right, folks! Week 3 is now over, so that means it's time for another Weekly Digest!

Let's start with the Round 2 results...
Round 2 Results
There were 6 responses to the Round 2 Voting Google Form in total, and the winners of Round 2 were as follows:
The complete leaderboard for Round 2 is as follows:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@Matt.GC1510
2@Thameslink Rail1103
3@Connor981120
4@RicketyCricket1000
5@Willt7810
6@cloudburster800
7@tactic700
8@mo237700
9@MattyH503
10@Matt N410
11@Poisson400
12@Matt878787000
13@The_bup000
As such, the leaderboard for the overall contest so far is:
RankingUsernameOverallRealismOriginality
1@RicketyCricket2400
2@The_bup2211
3@Matt.GC2210
4@MattyH1605
5@Poisson1622
6@Matt N1620
7@Connor981530
8@Thameslink Rail1403
9@Willt71310
10@cloudburster800
11@tactic700
12@mo237700
13@Matt878787000
Great round, everybody!

Now I've covered the Round 2 results, I think it's about time we moved onto Round 3 voting...
Round 3 Voting
Round 3 is finished and the submissions are in, so the voting stage can now begin!

Please vote for your Round 3 favourites via this Google Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeUKmNviK9Ux53oT1k4GGfAC65GVmxXIzQlsnJhOX60F8cePQ/viewform

Let me just recap a few things about voting, if you need a reminder:
  • If you're not clear on how I'd like you to vote; please pick your top 5 track layouts and rank them in order of preference from #1 to #5. Therefore, if you give a player a particular ranking, the points allocated are as follows; #1 ranking = 5pts, #2 ranking = 4pts, #3 ranking = 3pts, #4 ranking = 2pts, #5 ranking = 1pt.
  • You will also receive the opportunity to nominate a submission for Most Realistic or Most Original if you wish. These nominations are not compulsory; you can award them if you would like to, but you do not have to nominate anyone for Most Realistic or Most Original. Each Most Realistic or Most Original nomination a player gets will grant them 1 Realism point or 1 Originality point, respectively.
  • Please only fill out this form once. I have not mandated this within the form itself, but I'm trusting you all here.
  • Please do not vote for yourself. I know that there is no way I can mandate this, but I trust you not to. Please can I request that you only nominate submissions that are not your own.
  • Please judge submissions on track layout only. This is a coaster layout building contest; theming is pretty much irrelevant here.
  • I know that this form of voting is more anonymous than some may like. If you would like to add a slightly more personal touch, you can post a comment in this thread indicating your top 5 choices, as well as any Most Realistic and/or Most Original nominations. However, can I please request that the Google Form is your first port of call for voting; I will only count votes cast within the Google Form, as if you post in this thread, I wouldn't like to assume whether you've already voted in the Google Form or not. Post your choices in the thread by all means, but please make sure that you log your votes within the Google Form first, as the votes within the Google Form are the votes I'll be counting.
Here is a reminder of everyone's submissions so that you know what you're voting for:
  • Concorde, an Intamin Accelerator Coaster by @Matt N:
  • Arabian Frights, an Intamin Giga Coaster by @Matt.GC:
  • Pigeon's Flight, an Intamin LSM Launch Coaster by @tactic:
  • Expedition ENORMOUS, an Intamin Wing Coaster by @MattyH:
  • LGBTRMC, an RMC T-Rex by @RicketyCricket:
  • Unnamed B&M Inverted Coaster by @Poisson:
  • Guinness World Records Coaster, an Intamin Accelerator Coaster by @Thameslink Rail:
  • Back Breaker: The Ride, an Intamin Accelerator Coaster by @Willt7:

Voting for Round 3 closes on Friday 12th January 2024 at 11:59pm, and the results will be revealed as part of the Week 5 Weekly Digest.

Now that we've covered Round 3 voting, I think it's about time that I revealed the next round...
Round 4 Building
Seeing as we've now completed Round 3, I think we need a new round to sink our teeth into, so it's time for me to reveal the Round 3 brief! The Round 3 brief is... Mexicana Coaster at Chessington World of Adventures! The context for this round is as follows:
The coasters of the Mexicana area at Chessington are getting old and into poor states of repair. Since Scorpion Express caught fire in July 2022, that ride has sat dormant and broken, and many people have wondered about whether its time may be up. At the same time, Rattlesnake's advancing age has been causing it increasing problems, with the ride having to be operated in "safe mode" on occasions during 2023, as if it was a virus-laden Windows PC. With the advancing age and overall state of the two coasters in Mexicana, Chessington have decided to remove the two coasters and build a brand new roller coaster on their combined site, and they've hired you to design the new ride. They've said that the ride should have no inversions, as the park still wants to appeal to an overarching family-friendly demographic, and you've also got to consider the park's tree line height limit. Furthermore, the park wants a ride with a little more length than some of its other coasters; following the criticism of Mandrill Mayhem's short track length, the park decided that they don't need any more short roller coasters. But other than that, the sky's the limit! What ride will you build in the Mexicana area at Chessington?
The constraints for the round are as follows:
  • Maximum Footprint 115m*50m/377ft*164ft
  • Maximum Height 65ft/20m
  • Minimum Length 2,000ft/610m
  • No Inversions
For some additional context, here is the rough area of Chessington we'll be working with (it's circled in black and labelled "Mexicana"... my apologies for the crude writing.):
Mexicana-Area.png

To apply the footprint constraints, I would recommend using the Scenario Editor to make yourself a park template that allows you to enforce the constraints.

However, if you find yourself unable to do this, I have created a Steam Workshop park template with the footprint constraints pre-imposed, which you can download here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3127970505

For console users, I would recommend setting out the footprint constraints using wall pieces or path pieces to build yourself an "area" to work within. Path and wall pieces are typically 4m in length, for reference. I know it's not ideal, but it's unfortunately the best I can recommend given that neither Scenario Editor nor Steam Workshop are available on console... sorry for the inconvenience, folks.

Please measure your coaster's height using Terrain Relative height markers in build mode (this is the setting labelled with a mountain).

To submit, please build your submission, film a POV and off-ride shots of it, and post the video(s) in this thread. You can briefly describe your ride if you wish. YouTube is the website I'd recommend for uploading videos to, as this would integrate best with the Google Form when it comes to voting, but if you want to upload your video(s) using a different method, then that's also fine. If you have any issues with recording or uploading your video(s), please don't hesitate to contact me. I will try my best to assist you.

May I once again emphasise that this is a coaster layout building contest. By all means add some light theming and landscaping if you wish, but the coaster layout should ideally be the focus. Quality of coaster layout is pretty much the be all and end all here; heavy theming won't gain you any points, and no theming won't lose you any points.

The submission deadline for Round 4 is Friday 12th January 2024 at 11:59pm. If you struggle for time and would like me to extend the deadline, please PM me or request an extension in this thread before the deadline. If you do not make contact with me and ask for an extension, I will assume that you simply do not want to compete in this round and move on after the posted deadline.

I think that's all I need to cover for Week 4. Good luck with Round 4, folks! If you have any questions or concerns about the round or about anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am always more than happy to help.

Get building for Round 4 and voting for Round 3, everybody!

Just finished my ride and got it ready to submit then re-read the rules and realised it said minimum track length of 2000ft not maximum 😢

I have now completed my submission for Round 4! Say hello to... El Conquistador (Spanish for "The Conqueror"), a GCI wooden coaster:
El-Conquistador-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: El Conquistador
  • Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
  • Model: Wooden Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 63ft/19m
  • Speed: 41mph/66kph
  • Length: 2,017ft/615m
  • Inversions: 0
  • Airtime Moments: 5
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 2.4G (overall), 2.3G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.8G (overall), -0.4G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 2 trains with 8 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 788pph (49-50 trains per hour, 1 train every ~1m 13s)
If you'd like to play with El Conquistador for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3134354732

So that's El Conquistador, my Round 4 submission! I hope you all like it!

Took quite a bit of time to get this one right, but what I think the park needs is a small Gravity Group woodie; this is Mexicoaster.

Top Speed: 40mph
Length: 645m
Positive G Spike: +5
Negative G Spike: -2
Throughput: 1040pph

493340_20240107182026_1.png

493340_20240107182055_1.png

493340_20240107182113_1.png

Awesome submission @mo237! Your ride looks like great fun, with some awesome pops of airtime and great high-speed turns!
Just finished my ride and got it ready to submit then re-read the rules and realised it said minimum track length of 2000ft not maximum 😢
That's an understandable mistake! I'm glad you seemingly got it rectified.
My week 4 creation - Rattlesnake Express

Name: Rattlesnake Express
Manufacturer: Gertslauer
Model: Family coaster
Max Height: 64ft
Speed: 42mph
Length: 2210ft
Inversions: 0
Airtime Count: 2
Max Vertical Gs: 3.17g
Max Lateral Gs: 1.90g
Min Vertical Gs: -0.33g

Great submission @tactic! Your ride looks fun, and it has some nice turns!

If you don't mind me asking, though; out of interest, how did you manage to get what look like Gravity Group wooden coaster trains onto what looks like a Maurer spinning coaster track? I know that the game has a setting to allow for more interchangeable coaster trains, but that seems like a bigger mismatch than even that setting would allow. Did you do this via a mod or something?

Spaghetti Meatballs.

The slightly more family friendly version of Taron at Chessington. I misread the brief and started cramming track in because I was building in metric measurements and didn't realise the length target was in imperial. Anyway, there's 1280mtrs of track in there, and doing so lent itself to its food based theme (partially inspired by Good Gravy). I mean, why not have a coaster themed to food?

Features 2 outer banks, synchronised launches where 2 trains launch towards each other at the same time and runs 3 trains. Running 3 trains isn't very Chessington, but I suppose they could always ruin it themselves once built by just running it on 1 for the full Chessington experience.

If you don't mind me asking, though; out of interest, how did you manage to get what look like Gravity Group wooden coaster trains onto what looks like a Maurer spinning coaster track? I know that the game has a setting to allow for more interchangeable coaster trains, but that seems like a bigger mismatch than even that setting would allow. Did you do this via a mod or something?
I actually don’t know I will be honest. I just went into the customisation tab and in the interchangeable coaster trains drop-down it just allowed me to put anything. It could be a feature of a mod I have installed that I don’t know about I guess, but I didn’t even know that the base game limits what train types are on what track 😂

I have now completed my submission for Round 4! Say hello to... El Conquistador (Spanish for "The Conqueror"), a GCI wooden coaster:
El-Conquistador-Layout-Overview.png

The ride stats are as follows:
  • Name: El Conquistador
  • Manufacturer: Great Coasters International
  • Model: Wooden Coaster (Custom)
  • Height: 63ft/19m
  • Speed: 41mph/66kph
  • Length: 2,017ft/615m
  • Inversions: 0
  • Airtime Moments: 5
  • Maximum Positive G-Force: 2.4G (overall), 2.3G (heatmap)
  • Maximum Negative G-Force: -0.8G (overall), -0.4G (heatmap)
  • Trains: 2 trains with 8 cars/16 riders
  • Throughput: 788pph (49-50 trains per hour, 1 train every ~1m 13s)
If you'd like to play with El Conquistador for yourself, here's the Steam Workshop link you can download it from: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3134354732

So that's El Conquistador, my Round 4 submission! I hope you all like it!

There was quite a lot of airtime in that layout, which was very good.

Gone for what I'd imagine a family RMC would be like... And built two of them because of the Chessington capacity issues. Quirky transitions, a bit of airtime and no inversions. Can run 2 x trains on each side. Two different layouts to make them more re-rideable.

1000030329.jpg

Name - El Bandito
Model - RMC Family

Thanks for running this @Matt N It's good fun to build such different types of coaster and it looks like a lot of effort putting the submissions/voting posts together.

I’m in early with my instead of leaving it too late again.

Intamin motorbike coaster
Height - 54ft
Length - 3076ft
Speed - 55mph
Airtime moments - 11
Duration - 64s

Awesome submission @Connor98! Your ride is packed with airtime, and I love some of those rapid-fire twisting and turning sequences!
Spaghetti Meatballs.

The slightly more family friendly version of Taron at Chessington. I misread the brief and started cramming track in because I was building in metric measurements and didn't realise the length target was in imperial. Anyway, there's 1280mtrs of track in there, and doing so lent itself to its food based theme (partially inspired by Good Gravy). I mean, why not have a coaster themed to food?

Features 2 outer banks, synchronised launches where 2 trains launch towards each other at the same time and runs 3 trains. Running 3 trains isn't very Chessington, but I suppose they could always ruin it themselves once built by just running it on 1 for the full Chessington experience.

Great submission @Matt.GC! You've packed loads of airtime and some really nice turns in there, and I'm a big fan of the self-duelling feature!
Gone for what I'd imagine a family RMC would be like... And built two of them because of the Chessington capacity issues. Quirky transitions, a bit of airtime and no inversions. Can run 2 x trains on each side. Two different layouts to make them more re-rideable.

1000030329.jpg

Name - El Bandito
Model - RMC Family

Thanks for running this @Matt N It's good fun to build such different types of coaster and it looks like a lot of effort putting the submissions/voting posts together.

Brilliant submission @RicketyCricket! Cramming two coasters into the land is an awesome use of space, and your coasters are packed with those brilliant RMC-style manoeuvres!

Sorry to double post, but I've been looking at the responses to the voting form for Round 3, and the 1 respondent I've had so far appears to have made a mistake; they appear to have voted for the same submission in two ranking spots. They voted one submission as both their #4 and their #5.

Just to clarify; please do not vote for the same submission twice. Voting one submission for two overall ranking spots (#1-#5) is not allowed. Even though I admittedly can't enforce it, the overall rankings from #1 to #5 are designed to be mutually exclusive; if you have voted for 1 submission as your #1, for instance, do not vote for it in any of the other positions.

The one exception to this is if you want to nominate a submission for Most Realistic and/or Most Original alongside placing it in your top 5; you can of course do that, and you can also nominate the same submission for both Most Realistic and Most Original if you wish.

But in terms of overall rankings within the #1-#5 hierarchy; please only vote for each submission for one ranking spot.

My other reason for posting this is that I'd like to inform the person who did respond to the form and make this mistake (who shall remain nameless... I have no idea who you are) that I have removed your previous response, and would strongly encourage you to vote again without the mistake. I do want your voice to be heard, and I fully accept that voting for the same submission twice was probably an honest mistake, but I'm afraid that I can't have the same submission being placed in two ranking spots.

For everyone else; here's a reminder that if you'd like to vote for your Round 3 favourites, you have until Friday 12th January 2024 at 11:59pm to do so. The voting form is accessible here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeUKmNviK9Ux53oT1k4GGfAC65GVmxXIzQlsnJhOX60F8cePQ/viewform

Having now removed the response that contained a mistake, the form now has no responses logged, as that voter was the only person to have responded to the form thus far (I myself have not had the time to respond to it yet). If you'd like to vote for your favourite submissions from Round 3, please do so before Friday.

@Matt N If I build a coaster within the scenario dimensions. Can I then export it to a bigger scenario to add a few bits of themeing and landscaping?
That’s an interesting question, and one I’ll admit I hadn’t considered before.

As theming and landscaping are not what should be considered during voting, I’m inclined to say yes provided that the layout itself fits within the scenario dimensions. As long as the layout itself fits within my specified constraints, I guess I don’t see a problem with building some surrounding theming/landscaping within a larger scenario, because as said, theming/landscaping does not really count here.