• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Progress Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Hey folks,

Sorry I've been having a few days off as I've been ill and now my birthday today, but when I get back tonight I'll answer everything here and sort the logo winner out too :)

Thanks all!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Can those with errors accessing the Wiki just try signing in again for me and see if you're still presented with an error message?

tried the wiki again and got this

Internal error

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

Thanks to everyone that replied with the debugging output from the wiki.

Unfortunately this debugging output also showed your password, so PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT PASTE THE DEBUGGING OUTPUT IN A POST HERE without editing the first line at the top like so:

#0 /home/ts/towersstreet.com/wiki/includes/specials/SpecialUserlogin.php(357): User->setPassword('YOUR_PASSWORD_IS_HERE')

But that all aside - I've implemented another few fixes, and HOPEFULLY you shouldn't even need to login to the wiki now to use it... he says :p

When you browse to the wiki, it should pick up your forum login automatically. If it has, you should just see your username at the top like this:

cf113859c0f54e4aa5f71d2.png

This will be in the very top right corner of your browser.

If you don't see this, try clicking on "login" again and see if it will let you login.

Again, any errors, please post them here for me. Please make sure your password isn't being revealed in the first line of the debug error log though!.

hey guys not sure if this is the right place to put this but i would be nice to have a towersstreet app so that people could access the forums an news on the move without using taptalk just floating the boat of ideas there

Coastermaster

No need as the forum uses SMF software which is compatible with the Tapatalk app which reads most forum software. Simply download the Tapatalk app and then search for TowersStreet and it should appear like magic.

Coastermaster said:
hey guys not sure if this is the right place to put this but i would be nice to have a towersstreet app so that people could access the forums an news on the move without using taptalk just floating the boat of ideas there

Coastermaster
Tapatalk is a fantastic app for accessing the forums on the move, so I'd recommend it... But there is a basic version of the forum you can access at http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/?wap2

i know that im saying maybe the team could develop a app just for this fourm

While an app would be nice, the team have lots on their plates in getting the main site running first... Though if you want quick access to the homepage and you have an iPhone you can add the site to your home screen and a nice little TS logo will come up and you'll be able to access the site in one tap?

Taking development time and costs into account. Is there any real benefit at this stage with the app that you can't already get with tapatalk or just a browser?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The topic of an app came up on here quite a while ago.

Currently we are all working on getting the main site up and running, as well as finalising other parts of the site. At the moment an app is not being considered, as they are very hard things to make and take a lot of time to do although it's something that may come back onto the drawing board one day once the site is settled and if we ever felt there would be a need for such a app.

In the meantime though there's the Tapatalk app as mentioned by others which is available on all Apple devices as well as android phones.

I don't think there's a need for a TowersStreet app at all.

Tapatalk works great for the forum, and the devs who made it are dedicating their time to continuously interate it, so there's not really a need for the team here to repeat all that effort to create a similar experience. Likewise, I think news and other content can be better prepared for mobile devices with a bit of responsive design work on the website, rather than by building a new app.

Any app built solely for TowersStreet would be constrained by the platforms it could run on - likely having to build an app for both Android and iOS and potentially other platforms - and would also slow down progress of any future work on the site if the app was to remain a relevant alternative to the full website. It's just not worth it.

Well I dont know about tapatalk, as they don't do the app for my mobile phone OS.

Thanks to mrbrightside for posting the wap address, i can access via my phone. Just in time for visit to AT on 7 august.

As has already been said, there are many other apps already available for various mobile platforms, and there really isn't much point in us spending time and resources developing something which others already have, and probably much better than we could.

Scott has already posted a link to the WAP2 version of the forums, which is a very basic and data friendly version of the forums, great for mobile devices or slow connections.

However, we also have another slightly prettier version available at http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/?theme=3, which offers the same forum you are familiar with but in a more mobile friendly manner. You will no doubt agree it looks a fair bit better than the WAP2 version :p

Just one side note

Once you first open this version your device will remember it in future, so you may find if you click a link it will suddenly change into the mobile version. To stop this, once you have finished browsing on this version be sure to click the Go To The Full Site button. This will send you back to the regular TowersStreet theme, and prevent you from being sent back to the mobile version.

Can I just say, I'm not a huge fan of the solid background colour. I think it looks a little bland.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.