• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TowersStreet Progress Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The purple? I think it looks ok, maybe we can have some sort of gradient effect? Something I ahve noticed and I know they are not finished yet, but I have noticed some content is very childish in the way it is worded. Also noticed that some slag and even slightly offensive words have creeped into parts of the new pages.

Also, if your in the forum, the about links dont work as it adds "/talk" to the link.

I know Alton's colours are purple & yellow, but those colours together in the way they are done here look a bit garish in my opinion.

Maybe go for a more blue shade of purple or just blue all together. As mentiond before, differend gradients of the colour would be nice. Maybe fill it with silouettes in a similar fashion to the towers official website. Obviously not too similar though!

Just thought I'd through some ideas in.

Oh, & the towersstreet homepage displays incorrectly on IE9, in compatibility mode, those problems are fixed, but different incorrections appear. If you want me to upload a screenshot, just say the word!

:)

I do like the Interactive Height Planner. I will be sending a link for it to my friend, as he is bring his son on tuesday.

Oddly, it just this moment seems to have fixed its self. Thats wierd, Ive been having that problem for a for a few days now!

:)

BigDave said:
...but I have noticed some content is very childish in the way it is worded. Also noticed that some slag and even slightly offensive words have creeped into parts of the new pages.

Would you be able to point these pages out for us Dave? Then we can have a look at it and amend any content needed.

Yeah I'll be interested to see the examples of your concerns Dave, either drop him here or to one of us by PM.

We did set out a brief (a long time ago actually) that the site would be a little more "informal" in its presentation, but not to the extent of poor language or even bad language - just a slightly more casual writing and presentation to make us more appealing to the masses - we're not aiming to be a professional business, just a informative and friendly community I guess. But as I say I'll be very interested to hear what people consider offensive and slang and I'll make a point of reading through everything myself now personally.

The IE9 issues were fixed a while ago, perhaps your browser was caching an old copy of the CSS?

The link issues in 'about' menu had been fixed, but for some reason the file wasn't saved to the server when I saved and committed the changes, so thats fixed.

I'm personally surprised to see the colour debate popup again - we did say some time back that we wanted to steer away from being blue, as its obviously used by other fan sites a lot, and we settled on a more purple look instead - not primarily to honour Alton Towers in any way, but it was a side affect we did chuckle at the time about.

I'm sure we'll get the colour balance correctly, however it's on the back-burner list whilst we're focusing on the new site content. I'll be happy to hear everyones thoughts on it though for when we do address it :D

I'm also surprised to hear that there is potentially rude or offensive content being published to our website. As a whole team we have taken great care when writing the site, and have been proof reading our content rigerously. Obviously, there is the odd misplace comma which will slip through the net, but I would hope any offensive text had been picked up on by this point.

As Joel has already said, we aren't aiming to be an uptight and formal site. We wanted to create ourselves a relaxed and easy-going source of information, which provides facts and news to our users, while making for easy reading and being accessible to all. We've tried to reflect this in our writing, with a more casual approach and adding bits of humour here and there where appropriate. I don't think any of us have attempted to create rude or inappropriate content though.

If anyone has found any content they feel fits this description please let a team member know, as it's something which needs addressing ASAP.

Just another couple of niggles (perhaps an understatement). The "Park Info" link on the theme park dropdown box links to the current page you are on, rather confusingly.

Also, eligible (correct) is spelt "eligable" on the Fastrack and ERT page at the very bottom.

Not sure what's going on at the bottom of the "Tickets and Entry" page - there appears to be a line that just contains the letter t on its own.

On the "Park Events" page the February Half Term, Ultimate Fireworks and Christmas sections refer to themeparks when it should surely be theme parks? Undergoes (correct) is spelt "undergos" under the Scarefest section.

On the "Weather" page I'm pretty sure "Even if it is planned to be pouring with rain" should be "Even if it is predicted to be pouring with rain" - planned doesn't sound quite right. It also mentions "being launched at 80kph by Rita" when that should be 100kph. Also, "and if the weather eases up, chance are the ride will reopen too." - that should be "chances."

The line "Of course - even very bad weather - you can still enjoy many indoor and covered attractions whatever the weather!" should surely be "Of course, even in very bad weather you can still enjoy many of the indoor and covered attractions!" Mentioning the weather twice at the beginning and end just sounds odd, along with the strange hyphenation ;) I'm also concerned about the reuse of the word "inclement" which is used three times in the space of that section. It could be replaced with 'bad' or 'poor' or any other number of synonyms just to make it sound more natural.

Guarantee is spelt "gaurantee" in the Top Tips section at the bottom of the weather page.

Under "Travelling by car" on the "Travel" page - "the only downside being that it can be a too popular method" should be "the only downside being that it can be too popular a method"

Might take you a while to get through that lot but just reading through there are quite a lot of mistakes both with spelling and grammar/syntax that reduce the perceived professionalism of the content. I fully expect these to be ironed out in time though :)

Ah thanks for picking up on those issues, I'll get the amendments sorted ASAP.

I've just had a bit of a horrible thought that the pages we launched last night were not actually checked over by the team - we had a last minute change of mind about what was going to launch last night as we had some things to fix with the ride and attraction pages.

I decided to throw those pages up last night as I was determined to get some of new site launched without realising they've probably not been signed off by the team, so its actually my fault they aren't where they need to be, as we've spotted plenty of things wrong afterwards too :p

I should probably get more sleep before I do these things, but nonetheless a lesson or two learnt for me when rushing things!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

BigDave said:
Also noticed that some slag and even slightly offensive words have creeped into parts of the new pages.

So where are these then Dave? Or did you just decide to give the team a heart attack for no reason? :p

Feature request: could we have a button on Quick Reply that allows you to switch to the full editor and transfers what you've already written? They have this on CoasterForce. :)

Would it be possible to fix the drop down menus on some touch devices?

They don't work on PS Vita or Sony Xperia U, but do on iPad.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks. :)

As Joel mentioned we are aware of the issue with the menus on certain devices, Joels looking into it but he also has to do his day job too (i know hes a selfish git... who really needs to eat :D )

Im as eager on this as anyone as at the mo im moving house so accessing the site via my phone but i know Joel is working hard on it.

Does anybody have issues with the site being generally a little bit slow on mobile? I'm a skinflint so use the browser rather than tapatalk.

The site isn't designed for mobile devices at all, and uses several heavy Javascript libraries (which are fine on desktop as generally there is more memory and CPU available than mobile devices), which would explain why it is slow.

If you're using the forum, you're best to use a mobile template which doesnt rely on all of the usual desktop javascript and images we use.

Very basic one - http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/?wap2
Slightly more enhanced one - http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/?theme=3

Sam said:
Feature request: could we have a button on Quick Reply that allows you to switch to the full editor and transfers what you've already written? They have this on CoasterForce. :)

I have had a look and there unfortunately doesn't appear to be anything for this for our forum software SMF. CoasterForce uses phpBB so we can't install the same modification.

Speaking of mobile devices, using Dolphin HD browser on my iPad, the forum seems to be about 5mm wider than the screen (landscape format). Making scrolling a pain as it always seems to want to scroll horizontally before it gets the hint and scrolls vertically.

Not sure if this is a Dolphin issue, as I've not tried viewing the forum in Safari. But it doesn't happen on any other sites.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.