• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Travellers Day Scarefest

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Go when you want, don't need a topic about it.

Can we make a 'racists' day so I can avoid anyone falling into that category too? =D.
Sorry are you a mod here or?? You don’t get to decide what kind of topics are allowed on here.

If you don’t like the thread just avoid it. You clearly lack the reading comprehension to grasp the issues being discussed here and are adding nothing helpful to the discussion.

"If you don't like demonstrations of racism just ignore it" said...oh, racists.

That's far from true though isn't it?

Nobody has ever said 'those travellers aren't allowed to go'

What has been said, with factual evidence, is that the park experience change somewhat on those days and some people may choose to avoid this.

Nobody has asked for an outright ban of travellers, or for that matter any community.

I hate going shopping at Christmas as it's so damn busy. Does this make be racist against Christians?

Go when you want, don't need a topic about it.

Can we make a 'racists' day so I can avoid anyone falling into that category too? =D.

It’s a very common question on here to ask when are the best days to visit certain parks in order to have a great day there. People ask when the school trip season is in order to avoid busy days for example but it doesn’t mean they are prejudiced against schoolchildren.

Asking when the “Family Day” is (as the park call it) is a similar thing, it’s about avoiding a day where the experience on park may well not be a great one. That’s definitely not the same as racism.

Some of you alright, =).

"If you don't like demonstrations of racism just ignore it" said...oh, racists.
The mods are ok with this thread existing. Guess they’re all racist too right? You’re starting to look a bit silly now.

Days where large groups of travellers visit the park are different to a normal day, that doesn’t mean it’s all travellers causing problems but the problems are heightened on those days. The park knows this and takes steps to mitigate, are they racist as well?

Everyone is racist apart from you! Congrats🥇

Based on the fact I am being moderated I would say yes, they are happy with a topic of this nature. xD.

I don't feel silly, I am sure someone out there agrees with what I am saying but they wou;dn't dare go against the grain. I'll sleep soundly tonight either way =). Peace.

Based on the fact I am being moderated I would say yes, they are happy with a topic of this nature. xD.

I don't feel silly, I am sure someone out there agrees with what I am saying but they wou;dn't dare go against the grain. I'll sleep soundly tonight either way =). Peace.
You have had one single post removed for containing an image and nothing else. Others have been merged as you've posted multiple posts in succession, but your views have so far not been censored and I've allowed you to say your piece.

However, this topic has been here for a month now and on the whole it's contained sensible, measured discussion and where views have been unacceptable they have been quite rightly called out. There is zero need for an additional 2 pages of needless discussion about what is and isn't racist when most previous discussion has been very respectful and overall based on fact.

As others have pointed out, if you feel this topic is inappropriate then I'd politely suggest you don't participate in it. As a team member I've reviewed the content and don't find anything that's unacceptable that hasn't been fairly challenged by others. Now please, either participate in the actual discussion about the operations of the park when these days occur, or just ignore the topic.

Me myself from personal and many friends experience I've always been very scared of travelers and after experiencing a traveler day before, I've always wished to avoid these again in the future.

I'd like to thank people on this thread for pushing the reminders to me and other people that all because these problems come with these particular days at parks this does not represent every traveler out there.

In fact if you go around lots of Europe, many people avoid tourist locations in their own countries during popular travel periods because of British people, we have a known reputation of being drunken moronic hooligans so people simply avoid these periods and I see no issue with that myself.

This isn't anything new but at the end of the day we're all human, and the actions of some does not represent the mass and we all know and recognize this.

I think we all have a right to know what days these are as the increased security and police presence, no alcohol sales, the behavior that happens (not from all guests but it's certainly there) for some this may ruin the immersion and escapism part of visiting in the first place.

Oh dear, this is getting heated…

Let me start by saying that I sincerely apologise if I personally have said anything that could be construed as offensive toward the travelling community. That was not my intent; I was simply trying to contribute constructively to the discussion.

If I’m being completely honest, I can see both sides of the argument here.

I know that every single member on here talking about it means well and are merely discussing the impact on the park, but I can see how some of the discussion surrounding travellers on here and elsewhere in the enthusiast community could be perceived as somewhat offensive to the travelling community. Perhaps unfairly, I do think travellers have developed a stigma in the enthusiast community, and the way they’re sometimes referenced so directly and singled out regarding how a minority of them supposedly behave could be construed as racist/offensive by some. I believe that travellers, like every other minority group, deserve the exact same respect and dignity that everyone else in society gets, and some of the language used towards them in regard to the issue of “family friendly days” (in the enthusiast community in general) could undermine that and be construed as discriminatory.

However, the “family friendly days” as the park coins them do definitely offer a different experience for the paying guest, from what I’ve heard, and I think it is fully understandable for people to want to know when these days occur and plan their visits around these days accordingly. If someone values the odd beer as part of their visit, or wants to avoid visiting on a day where there is seemingly an increased risk of antisocial behaviour (I don’t attribute that to any particular group, by the way), then I think it is perfectly fine for someone to say that they don’t want to visit on that particular day. The park has a whole operational calendar for people to pick from; some may find it useful to know when the “family friendly days” are so that they can go on a different day.

Personally, I think that as long as we keep discussion sensitive and constructive, and don’t go down the rabbit hole of discriminating against any particular groups or honing in on them too heavily (perhaps we could refer to it as “family friendly day” like the park does?), then I don’t see any issue with having a constructive discussion on the topic.

I apologise if I’ve said anything offensive there, as I know it’s a contentious topic, but I was simply trying to approach the argument in a balanced way. I also apologise if I’m backseat moderating a bit too much here… if the actual moderators want me to delete this, then just say.

Legally, it is not racist. It falls under the category of discriminatory, but it is not racist. That is the incorrect word. Please let’s not be calling anyone racist with no merit. As has been said, it is discussed yearly usually so people can avoid the day, as trouble can (and does sometimes) occur. That is why the discussion takes place, not to stop travellers from visiting, but so families/people can avoid potential trouble; etc. That is not racist, it is a simple fact. Many of us were telling other users that banning entry would be discriminatory and is not allowed because of religion based on a protected characteristic if my old legal knowledge serves me correctly. There is a difference between wanting to avoid and wanting to refuse. So let’s not go there. Feel free to remove this post if need be, I just feel like it’s a point that needs to be made. I haven’t seen one person on here make a racist remark (considering that’s not even what the discussion revolves around) so felt I needed to put this out there.

Last edited:
Oh dear, this is getting heated…

Let me start by saying that I sincerely apologise if I personally have said anything that could be construed as offensive toward the travelling community. That was not my intent; I was simply trying to contribute constructively to the discussion.

If I’m being completely honest, I can see both sides of the argument here.

I know that every single member on here talking about it means well and are merely discussing the impact on the park, but I can see how some of the discussion surrounding travellers on here and elsewhere in the enthusiast community could be perceived as somewhat offensive to the travelling community. Perhaps unfairly, I do think travellers have developed a stigma in the enthusiast community, and the way they’re sometimes referenced so directly and singled out regarding how a minority of them supposedly behave could be construed as racist/offensive by some. I believe that travellers, like every other minority group, deserve the exact same respect and dignity that everyone else in society gets, and some of the language used towards them in regard to the issue of “family friendly days” (in the enthusiast community in general) could undermine that and be construed as discriminatory.

However, the “family friendly days” as the park coins them do definitely offer a different experience for the paying guest, from what I’ve heard, and I think it is fully understandable for people to want to know when these days occur and plan their visits around these days accordingly. If someone values the odd beer as part of their visit, or wants to avoid visiting on a day where there is seemingly an increased risk of antisocial behaviour (I don’t attribute that to any particular group, by the way), then I think it is perfectly fine for someone to say that they don’t want to visit on that particular day. The park has a whole operational calendar for people to pick from; some may find it useful to know when the “family friendly days” are so that they can go on a different day.

Personally, I think that as long as we keep discussion sensitive and constructive, and don’t go down the rabbit hole of discriminating against any particular groups or honing in on them too heavily (perhaps we could refer to it as “family friendly day” like the park does?), then I don’t see any issue with having a constructive discussion on the topic.

I apologise if I’ve said anything offensive there, as I know it’s a contentious topic, but I was simply trying to approach the argument in a balanced way. I also apologise if I’m backseat moderating a bit too much here… if the actual moderators want me to delete this, then just say.
You are apologising again when you have done absolutely nothing wrong again Matt!

A large part of my original degree study was racism and anti discriminatory practice.
I assisted (and led) many local government groups on debates on race, discrimination and modern culture and society...with young people and staff, over two decades.
I have read a long reading list of academic texts on the subject, so you can say I have "read a book".
I have seen nothing but genuine debate about individual personal concerns on this site.
If you don't like what you read on here, could I suggest you read other stuff.
This discussion overall is genuine and reasonable.
Some individuals cause problems for the majority at the Towers.
Other individuals are rightly allowed to avoid those dates.
Issue to be rightly and openly discussed.

Last edited:
Changing the subject slightly… what does the park actually change for the family friendly days aside from not selling alcohol?

In terms of the big debate from last night; I maintain my stance from last night. I’m not a moderator, obviously, but I see no issue with us having a discussion on the topic as long as it remains sensitive and constructive, which this one mostly has been so far. I can see how some comments within the enthusiast community could be seen as offensive, but this thread overall seems fine to me.

Last edited:
Increased security presence is the main one, and I believe the hotel bars only serve residents.

Y'all need read a book.

Do you not think it's questionable to be appropriating African-American slang in order to criticise the forum on this issue? SMDH!! :mad:

In case I needed to be more explicit, I'm being facetious. I personally feel that there has been explicit racism on this topic in the past, usually from the same characters making the same obsessive, banal points year in and out. But the discussion is relevant as the operational differences on the days in question are well-documented and acknowledged by park. It's not just scaremongering mythology. On the other hand, I suppose a five page topic speculating as to the arrival of a community could seem a little heavy-handed.

Either way, this forum is usually better than drive-by Twitter speak contributions, especially on sensitive issues. Hope this criticism doesn’t count as ‘gaslighting’.

Last edited:
I note that it's now October 6th and we still don't know the actual date of the family friendly day yet?

There's racing a week on Friday at Uttoxeter, so perhaps it may be next week. However as mentioned in previous posts, in past years the park have sometimes prepared for a 'family day' (closing bars, additional security, police presence) and it's ended up being on a different weekend. No doubt the park will prepare for such a day a week on Saturday, but whether it happens? Who knows at this point!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.