• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

(Trip Report) Blackpool Weekender- 5th-7th August 2023

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I'm doing a weekend in Blackpool next month with three others, we've got accommodation booked (an AirB&B near the seafront) and details sorted, we just need to book our activities. We're doing both the Pleasure Beach and the Sandcastle Waterpark. Looking forward to getting back to the PB, my last visit was in 2019. Not done the Sandcastle waterpark before so am really looking forward to it.

Has anyone used BPB's new E-ticket system? It looks a bit of a faff. I'll be applying for an Essential Companion ticket so once we've booked should I wait for that to be sorted before my group and I activate our e-tickets?

Trip Report

Over the weekend I was in Blackpool with some family friends. We did the Sandcastle Waterpark, Pleasure Beach and the Sealife Centre. I hope you enjoy reading it!

Day 1- Arrival and Sandcastle Waterpark
We set off from my house at 10am and arrived in Blackpool at lunchtime. We parked up at a local shopping centre for lunch, before our swim at the Sandcastle at 2:30, then parked at the Yeadon Way car park which was a 10-minute walk from the water park. Upon arrival, we had a short wait before checking in and collecting our pre-booked locker wristbands. You can just pay for them on the day but it's much easier to add them to your online booking. Also, the lockers are quite big so you don't necessarily need one each.

Once changed, we emerged onto the poolside. It was fully booked so was very busy, and we did have fairly long waits for most of the slides. I've listed the slides we did below, in the order we did them. it was an eventful session, to say the least...

Thunder Falls (Yellow family body slide)

After a dip in the wave pool (which throughout our visit wasn't actually that busy) to acclimatize ourselves, I decided we should start off with an easy slide, so we did Thunder Falls. This has two winding body slides that end in a splash pool. I chose the yellow one as that's my favorite colour, and it was actually surprisingly fast and had tight turns. Unfortunately though, when hitting the splash pool at the end I somehow hurt my shoulder. It was very painful but thankfully the pain went away after a few minutes, so I didn't need to seek medical attention.

Master Blaster (water coaster)

Next was the Master Blaster, the park's aqua blaster water coaster slide. This was fun... until I got turned around part way though! I ended up going down the final drop backwards :eek:🤣
Got a bit of backwards airtime as well, which was terrifying!

Sidewinder (boomerango slide)

This boomerang slide looks scary, and is just that. You go down a steep drop and shoot up the wall, then continue backwards and forwards until you stop at the bottom. Was daunting at first but fun! After this we decided to do the parks action river;

Ushi Gushi River Creek (action river)

This action river is short but fast, and has sprayers and tipping buckets along the way. Definitely worth doing a few times!

Aztec Falls (raft bowl slide)

This raft bowl slide was my favourite, it's fast, dark and the bowl has some really cool lighting. So good in fact that I did it again later! Might be short, but extremely fun.

Montazooma (mat slide)

Now, I'm glad we left this slide til last, as we had a few issues with it. You ride this slide face-first on a mat, and unfortunately one of my group hit their head three times when going down the slide. They had to go to first aid afterwards. Another of my group hit their head once but was feeling ok so didn't report it, and I didn't hit my head but had to exert all my strength to keep it in the centre of the slide. I also somehow ended up facing backwards after entering the run-out tray at the bottom, and don't think I was on the mat properly when I launched from the top. Another issue was the fact that there was only one staff member up the top, manning both Montazooma and Aztec Falls (they told me to go while manning the other slide). Don't think I'll be riding the former again, personally.

We left our session 10 minutes before it ended, as the member of our group in first aid had decided to leave earlier after coming out and we had done everything we wanted to do. After returning our locker wristbands we sat in the cafe area for a bit before heading for dinner at the Velvet Coaster.

After hearing so much about the VC it was nice to finally go in! It was quite busy so we went up to the top floor, sitting inside but close to one of the outside terraces. Was cool to see the food lifts too. I had my Spoons usual, Lasagne. Was tasty as always!

After leaving the VC we walked back to our accommodation, to get some rest before our day at the Pleasure Beach. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for day two's report from the PB!

Last edited:
That sounds fun! I have never been to that waterpark.

Imagine how much fun the place is when it is nearly empty.
I phoned in advance to try to get a discount, they told me everything was open, but only had fifty people booked.
Fantastic afternoon with everything walk on, but a few rides only opened on rotation.

Montazooma, I hit my head pretty bad on that thing too. I had to sit at the side quietly for a bit (felt a bit dazed) but then felt ok. I did report it (they did ask if I needed first aid).
I asked if that had happened to other people, the staff member just shrugged. I thought I’d just somehow ridden it wrong? Turns out I’m not the only one.

Montazooma, I hit my head pretty bad on that thing too. I had to sit at the side quietly for a bit (felt a bit dazed) but then felt ok. I did report it (they did ask if I needed first aid).
I asked if that had happened to other people, the staff member just shrugged. I thought I’d just somehow ridden it wrong? Turns out I’m not the only one.
Yeah my friend sat on the exit steps for a bit until a first aider came, then went to the first aid room (which was usefully just around the corner). Concerning to hear that you also hit your head. I sent an email to the park last night explaining what happened, and it sounds like management will be investigating. If it's a persistent problem they should look into changing its operation to a regular body slide. Would be much safer in my opinion.

Sounds like you had a great day at Sandcastle. It’s not a waterpark I’ve done yet but I’ve heard good things about it.

Momtazooma sounds terrifying though, and possibly dangerous. I might give that one a miss should I ever get the chance to visit blackpool in future.

Day 2- Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Now, the part you've all been waiting for!
After breakfast on a bright (and surprisingly sunny) Sunday morning, it was time to head to the Pleasure Beach. None of my group had been to Blackpool before, let alone the Pleasure Beach, so I was really looking forward to showing them the park and seeing what they thought. This was my first visit since 2019, so I was also looking forward to getting back on my favourites. We left our accommodation at around 9:30 am and arrived around quarter to 10. We only had to queue for five minutes as the doors opened ten minutes before park opening time, which was good.

Once through security, we scanned our tickets, another member of my group had to help me though as my phone wouldn't scan. After putting my wellies and waterproof trousers safely in a locker (yes, I did bring them, and it was the right decision as you'll find out later), we went to the Wallace and Gromit shop to activate my photo pass. As the ride wasn't due to open til 10:30, I decided we would head to Nic Land first. We started off with the park's smallest woodie...
Blue Flyer

This was walk-on, so we were on board straight away. It might be small (only one adult can fit in each row, we did try though!) but the fact it is wooden makes it more rickety and more fun (but not too rough). A good starter woodie for those newbies! Annoyingly I forgot to add my ride photo at the kiosk though.

After Blue Flyer we headed straight over for the land's bigger woodie.

Nickelodeon Streak

This also didn't have a wait, we were in the station straight away. Blue Flyer's big brother is smooth (for a woodie), and quite fast too. It's essentially a smaller version of the Dipper and well worth a ride! We then decided to do the area's log flume, but weren't quite prepared...

Rugrats Lost River

Continuing the theme, we yet again walked straight into the station. Four adults made our log heavy, and we were about to find out the hard way. Thankfully, unlike a certain indoor water ride just across the park, we were able to leave our bags on the exit platform (there's a yellow box on the ground). Now, I had planned to nab the front of the boat as there's a footwell which protects your shoes, but a friend asked me to put her bag on the side with mine and cheekily nabbed the front while I was doing that. 🤣
When it came to the drop, my shoes got soaked (which made me thankful for bringing wellies for Valhalla), but thankfully dried off quite quickly. The weather was amazing all day, which was useful!
I did have an issue though at the photo kiosk; The picture went before I had time to put the code in, and there was no one at the counter to add it manually. We mentioned it at the W&G photo counter after riding that next, and they were able to find it and add it for me.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.51.jpeg

After that soaking, we headed back to Wallace and Gromit, which was now open and, you guessed it, walk-on!

Wallace & Gromit's Thrill-o-Matic)

This has always been one of my favourites, and it was so nice to get back on it. Was enjoyable as always, although I do agree that you'll enjoy it more if you've seen the films/shorts like me.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.51(1).jpeg

After that, we went around to the other side of that building to meet some ghosts (and our first ride queue).

The Ghost Train

This is a classic, and a very good one! There was quite a queue for this but we joined it, then we quickly realised that the ride was down. We waited it out and saw cars being removed and added. They got going for a couple of but then had further issues, but eventually they were able to start normal operation. Once that happened the queue actually moved really fast. Was fun, although I noticed the train effect wasn't working and the tunnel was struggling, which was a shame.

Next, we decided it was time for a bigger coaster and, walking past Avalanche, I decided we should do this Mack Bobsled first.

Avalanche

This was probably our longest wait of the day, although I think it was only around 25 minutes. The switchbacks were full and it was only on one train (I know that as when two of us got off the back row the other two were getting on at the front). Always a fun one to do, although it can be quite uncomfortable if you're up against the restraint. Luckily I was behind my friend so it wasn't too bad. Might be short but is fast, forceful and feels out of control.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.52.jpeg

After surviving the Avalanche, we braced for the climb up to Revolution;

Revolution

This launched shuttle looping coaster was one of my favourites on my previous visit, and it was nice to get back on it. We had a short wait towards the top of the staircase and, I have to say, the wait is scarier than the ride! When the train launches and returns the whole structure shakes, which is really unnerving. The ride itself is quite intense though, especially backwards!

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.52(1).jpeg

After the Rev, we decided to stop for lunch at the nearby hotdog kiosk. I don't usually have hotdogs, but it was nice. I dropped part of my sausage though, which was annoying. Lunch finished, we decided to do a gentle attraction nearby to let our food go down before the Big One.

Chinese Puzzle Maze

This maze is always worth taking a bit of time out of your day for, and it is a good way to let your food go down between rides as we did. The entrance is located close to Revelution's staircase. Beware of the fountains though... You have been warned!

After escaping the maze, it was time for the Big One, literally! To our surprise, this was almost completely walk-on- we walked straight to the turnstile and there were just a few people before the air gates. We were in the bays in no time. I had a non-wheel seat, and the ride was actually pretty smooth! I enjoyed it much more than on previous visits. The rest of my group also enjoyed it too.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.52(2).jpeg

(I wonder what the frame of the Big One ride photos will say next season, as that line at the top will be redundant... 😜)

After the Big One, myself and one other member of my group went on the park's triple-lane racer together...

Steeplechase

We had a short wait for this one, and it is useful that the queue splits into three lanes in the station. Now, I was surprised to see the yellow track open as I'm sure it had been closed earlier in the day, and I'd heard (on TS I think) that it is rarely open. As yellow is me and my friend's favourite colour, we chose that one.
The layout looks tame but the thrill comes from the high riding position. It is also not the most comfortable experience, as the sides of the seat can dig into your back. Wasn't actually too bad though this time thankfully.

After Steeplechase, all four of us joined the queue for ICON. It was quite long but thankfully moved relatively quickly. While queueing I did notice that one of the speakers wasn't working though.

ICON

I had the back row for this Mack double-launch coaster (had to wait an extra train though as the next train was the ENSO one), you get pulled over the hill after the first launch which is fun. Yes the launches are very gradual but that's not what the ride is about. The thrill instead comes from the compact layout and interactions with other rides, a couple of my group said they felt a bit disoriented after we got off. The back row was a little rattly but that didn't detract from the experience for me. A very enjoyable coaster. Interestingly mind, when I boarded my restraint wasn't fully up and wouldn't budge. I had to bend quite a bit to get in the seat. After we got back to the station it did raise fully though.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.52(3).jpeg

After ICON, it was time for us to start heading back towards the front of the park as we had done everything we'd wanted to do in the back half. Next up for just two of us this time was a nearly 100-year-old woodie, which I didn't ride on my previous visit nor the one before that. There was a bit of a wait for this, the queue was just before the bottom of the steps.

Now, here I discovered a good thing about the new e-ticket system; Slowly approaching the turnstile, I realised that I didn't have my phone... or my e-ticket. I started panicking a bit as we were very near the front and the queue had grown behind us, but then I remembered that we all could see our group's tickets on the app. My friend got my ticket up on her phone and scanned me in, before scanning her own ticket. what if we'd had paper tickets?! (that did happen to someone on Revolution, they came down the steps past us saying they'd forgotten their ticket)

Eventually, it was our turn to ride;

The Big Dipper

I was a little nervous about this after having a bad experience on my first visit a few years ago. That ride is still the only time a coaster has physically made my head hurt. I needn't have worried this time though, we chose a non-wheel row and it was actually really good! Will definitely ride it again.

After the 'Dipper, we continued to the front of the park, and one of our group decided they would do one more ride then go back to our accommodation as they'd had enough. That ride was to be one of my favourites from previous visits...

Ice Blast

Three of us rode this time and we only had a short wait, but it was enough time for me to realise that my photo pass was missing (I'd not scanned it with my phone yet). After panicking a bit I spied it on the ground just outside the queue railings further back. Photo pass safely in my phone case (on the sensible advice of one of my group), it was time to board.

I know it's not quite as good as the combo towers like Mingo's Cliff Hanger, but the launch upward still packs a punch. You get a nice view at the top too, if only for a few seconds. Was great to get back on it, and my friends enjoyed it too.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.53.jpeg

After returning to solid ground, one member of our group headed to the park exit. The rest of us headed to the lockers next door to prepare to sacrifice ourselves to the Viking Gods...

Valhalla

Yes, it was finally time for the park's indoor flume ride! We had been looking forward all day to ride it and now was the moment. All three of us put our bags in the locker (no storage on the platform, you have been warned!) and I put my waterproof overtrousers and wellies on. A guy there showed us how his jacket was still dripping wet from his ride earlier in the day, which was a big warning for us...

It was just a station wait for this one, we got to the turnstile almost straight away. The staff member manning it was talking to another group about the wetness, and upon seeing my wellies they said "You've got the right idea". 😂
That was just the confirmation I needed that I'd made the right decision.

Two of us (including myself) sat in the front row and one sat in the row behind. We set off, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately given how much it failed to turn off recently) the waterfall above the building entrance was not working. Several effects were working, though, although that didn't bode well for us... The fire effects were cool, and the room with all the lighting was amazing. I also liked the story-based audio that followed us around, that was cool too. Unfortunately for us though, the hammer was working... I saw it rising as we were going past and thought "Oh shit". 🤣

And yes, we got soaked by that. The biggest splash though was the final drop, a massive wave of water came over the front of the boat. Thank goodness I was wearing wellies! The whole experience was fantastic and we all really enjoyed it. 100% worth the absolute soaking. Yes, some parts are pitch black, but I think that adds to the mystery and makes it more scary. You don't know what's around every corner. Definitely one to do once per visit if you're only able to visit every so often like us. Definitely put any valuables and bags in a locker if you're all riding, and don't be afraid to wear wellies like I did. One of the highlights of our day, that's for sure!

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-06 at 17.43.53(1).jpeg

After leaving Valhalla dripping wet and collecting our bags from our locker (and changing out of my waterproofs of course), we decided to do a final ride before heading out. That ride was to be one that I'd never done before, the park's racing woodie!

Grand National

I was stoked to finally get another chance to ride this Mobius racing woodie after not being up for it on any of my previous visits. After walking onto it, we were in the front car, I sat in the middle row and my friends sat in the back. I was quite nervous given its reputation, but it was actually really good and not too rough. The double-down first drop is unique and fun, and it's quite fast too.

After getting off, we decided to run straight back around and do the other side since that was also walk-on. Same car and row this time, but it did feel a little bit rougher, especially on the corners. Still enjoyable though and it was nice to do the whole layout in one visit.

Both sides done, it was time for us to leave the park, or so we thought...

We headed into the gift shop in the entrance building and I noticed that they had one of the personalised gift machines. I decided to get a magnet and found a design I liked but was informed that their printer wasn't working. They told me to go to the KMQ shop (under Flying Machines), which we did, but theirs wasn't working either. They told me to go to the Nic Land shop, which we also did, and although theirs was working they only had Nicelodeon-themed designs. They told us to go back to KMQ and order it there,m then bring the receipt to them and they'd print it.

We did that and I finally got the magnet. So much effort for a personalised magnet, eh? We certainly got our steps in chasing it!
It is really nice, though, so was worth the effort.

WhatsApp Image 2023-08-09 at 10.23.14.jpeg

Souvenirs in hand, it was finally time to leave the park and head back to our accommodation.

Conclusion

Overall, we had a fantastic time at the Pleasure Beach, it really could not have gone better. I was expecting the park to be packed, with long queues everywhere, but was pleasantly surprised that it was much, much quieter. I really think it was one of the best theme park days I've had for a while, and hope that it won't be another four years before I visit again. My friends enjoyed it as well, and one of them said that they would like to go back.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this report and if you have any questions please ask. I'm probably not going to do a day 3 report as all we did was the Sealife Centre before heading home.

Thanks again, and happy riding!

Last edited: