• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TripAdvisor Ratings... the key?

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
I did a quick comparison of Merlin's European Resort theme park offerings vs. most other major European resorts on TripAdvisor:

Currently:

Chessington: 3.5 stars
Thorpe Park: 3.5 stars
Legoland Windsor: 3.5 stars

Gardaland: 4 stars
Heide-Park: 4 stars
Alton Towers: 4 stars

Legoland Billund: 4.5 stars
Legoland Deutschland: 4 stars

Non-Merlin resort property in Europe:

PortAventura: 4 stars
Phantasialand: 4.5 stars
Liseberg: 4.5 stars

Disneyland Paris: 4 stars
Efteling: 4.5 stars
Europa-Park: 5 stars
Parc Astérix: 4 stars
Puy du Fou: 5 stars
Futuroscope: 4 stars
Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 4 stars

I doubt there is anything to be proud about with Chessington, Windsor and Thorpe especially being at only 3.5 stars. It's pretty poor, to be honest.

Don't get your hopes up, they don't have a single ride of any kind.

Isn't Puy du Fou a big place with really nice theming and tons of shows?

Also, Alton Towers, Gardaland, Heide Park and Legoland Deutschland are rated 4 stars, which is the same as DLP, Parc Asterix, PortAventura, Futuroscope and Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Merlin's highest rated attraction, Legoland Billund, is rated 4.5 stars, which is the same as Efteling, Phantasialand and Liseberg. Not bad! I do feel that some are being slightly unfair towards Merlin, as it is only those 3 parks rated 3.5 stars. Granted, some would say that that's 3 parks too many, but it is only those 3 parks.

Last edited:
I think what you really need to do to tell the difference is how many 1 star (maybe 2 star as well) reviews they are, and what the visitor gripes are...

From those bored times I've read such things, the main complaints at European parks tend to be regarding smoking and quite often non-*insert own language here* signage (especially at Efteling)...

There is a very stark variation between the content of the reviews, even if it only results in being 0.5 of a star behind...

With the British Merlin parks the main factor that seems to decide whether people leave a good review or a bad review seems to be whether they visit on busy days or quiet days. There are complaints about charging to park (particularly when it's Chessie and you're paying to park in a field). There are complaints about parks looking tired and rides not working. But the main factor that seems to earn them poor reviews is long, slow moving queues.

Incidentally:
Drayton Manor: 4 stars
Paultons Park: 4.5 stars
Adventure Island: 4.5 stars
Folly Farm: 5 stars