• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

Recently I have seen:

Deadpool 69/10

A sweary non-conformist not-a-hero. Have been for a second showing and may go for a third, it is THAT good. Recommend to all to watch. STAY UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS

Bridge Of Spies 9/10

A tense, Cold War based film. If politics doesn't interest you, I'd avoid but as I love Cold War politics it gets a massive recommendation from me.

Big Short 8.5/10

Don't be put off by the banking technicality, for it is explained fantastically. A really good watch at how royally shafted we were by the banks and how they knew what was coming at the top.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off 8.5/10

A classic, only just seen it on the Cineworld classic showing. This was only below Big Short as I prefer the basis for the higher film. If you haven't seen it you need to see it, I want to watch this again and again. POST CREDITS..

Spotlight 8/10

Not a pretty story, but gripping in a good way. Achieves the sincerity Danish Girl aimed for and missed spectacularly, and with a much more accurate and true plot behind it. Dead silence as we left, for the numbers are truly horrifying.

The Revenant 7.5/10

Yes there was not much dialogue a lot of the time, but if you'd been attacked this way I doubt you'd be talking that much. Based on a true story, it explains how a man survives a mauling and a half.

The Good Dinosaur 7/10

Not Pixar's greatest, but still a good film. Quite dark in places for a kids film, probably prompting kids to be nightmarish for a while after.

Black Mass 7/10

Gangsters and corruption, showing how a partnership can cause such problems and how long the cops can be lead along for blindly.

Snoopy 7/10

A tribute to one of the most well known strips ever, really nice art style and a story that isn't bad. Not the greatest film ever but I'd recommend a watch if it happens to be on. Or you're bored.

Spectre 6.5/10

Not a particularly great Bond film, but a health dose of violence is always fun. Need to watch more Bond though :p

Brooklyn 6.5/10

A film with no 'bad guys' as such, but is good to watch in a lighthearted way. Relaxing watching really and shows how it is a struggle to fit in to a new society halfway across the world and much more advanced.

Capture The Flag 6/10

The trailer for this is deceptive, the plot is a lot more cohesive than it is shown to be. Not a Pixar quality film, but on a small budget they did fantastically well. Also SPAAAAAAACEEEEEEEEEE.

Room 6/10

Slow, quite unsettling at times. An interesting concept, but it did drag. Just as unsettling as Spotlight, but less plot.

The Danish Girl 2/10

Utterly terrible. Claims to be the real story, but it butchers the story until it is unrecognisable. Also all the action was left out of the film, so it passes at a glacial speed and when anything happens you feel disconnected from it all, you just go ''oh'' and check your phone for how long of this dirge is left.

Daddy's Home -10/10

A pile of dung so large even Merlin on a bad day couldn't produce it. Never raised a smile from me. Had to leave early to meet Nicole but it was sweet relief as this was just URGHH.

Goosebumps 7/10

A good film, but let down by the start being quite poor and the resolution seemingly being rushed. Didn't expect much though, so was pleasantly surprised.

Recently I have seen:
Daddy's Home -10/10

A pile of dung so large even Merlin on a bad day couldn't produce it. Never raised a smile from me. Had to leave early to meet Nicole but it was sweet relief as this was just URGHH.

Gotta say that's one of the more generous 10/10 reviews I have seen.

10 Cloverfield Lane

9/10 Must see! oh :D
Goodman, a gun, barrel of acid and aliens, cant go far wrong

and have found my new fave cinema, Nottingham Showcase De Lux , those leather recliner seats... mmmm comfy

10 Cloverfield Lane

9/10 Must see! oh :D
Goodman, a gun, barrel of acid and aliens, cant go far wrong

and have found my new fave cinema, Nottingham Showcase De Lux , those leather recliner seats... mmmm comfy
And a tango ice blast! There and Blackpool are the only places I have them :p

Time for a few more reviews from me.

Mrs Doubtfire
Not gonna lie, I found this hilarious. I just kept on laughing for the entirety of the film! It does have a bit of a serious edge to it, but I'd say it's more comedy than anything. One of Robin Williams' finest performances. 8/10

Monty Python's Life of Brian
Some of you will know that I was recommended to watch this film by my Dad, which I do still find to be a bit bizarre. Still, it's one of the funniest films I've ever seen, and a great satirical take on religion. 9/10

Decent special effects, and the plot was OK, but I just found it was too long. For the last hour (it felt like an hour), I was just waiting for the film to end - I was so bored. Disappointing. 5/10

The Wolf of Wall Street
Yes, it's a very long film, but I still liked it a lot. Now, I do use bad language quite a bit myself, but even I thought it was taken to extremes in this film. Still, it was very enjoyable, and Leonardo DiCaprio was brilliant as Jordan Belfort. Margot Robbie's performance as Naomi Lapaglia was very good as well. It was good to see her in a much more serious role than that of Donna Freedman in Neighbours, where she'd first come to my attention several years ago. 8/10

Schindler's List
It's fifth on IMDB's Top 250 list, and with good reason. One of the most emotional films I've ever seen. Put together so well. Furthermore, the soundtrack by John Williams is perhaps one of the most iconic of all time. I remember the first time I saw a clip of it in History in Year 9. It was the bit where a Jewish woman with a background in engineering (or something similar) was trying to explain to the Nazis overseeing the construction of a big building that it wasn't right at all, and she recommended that it be demolished and the whole process started again. Her ideas were rubbished, and she was shot in the head, dying instantly. I was then appalled for the Nazis to then order that the building be demolished. Just...Why on earth would they do that? I should really watch it again at some point, but I'm still trying to work my way through Breaking Bad. :p 9.5/10

I've just watched Attack the Block on E4...

Written and directed by Joe Cornish, this film is set on a south London council estate. It starts with a group of (black) teenage "hoodies" mugging a very scared young (white) woman. But they are interrupted by an alien invasion. It's down to the young scumbags to stop them, all the while avoiding the police, who are convinced the chaos is their fault. The poor lady they tried to mug ends up stuck with them, and over the course of the film, they bond against the greater enemy.

A very well written and made film. It manages to combine action, social commentry, and dark humour brilliantly. It also has some of the best teenage / child actors I've seen in years. (Supposedly Cornish worked closely with them and re-wrote the script to ensure the dialouge was natural).

Nick Frost has a minor role in it. I dare say this is a far better modern British take on alien invasion than World's End was.

I highly recomend checking this one out.

Went to see X-Men Apocalypse last night which was fantastic. Action packed and laced with comedic moments topped off with a superb ending. A solid 9/10 from me. :D

Wouldn't waste your time with it. It's rubbish and the swearing in it is over the top. Just swearing for the sake of it which doesn't make it funny one bit. Stopped watching it half-way through and I never turn films off...

Went to see it Saturday, imo it was very funny. Although I don't think everyone will enjoy is as much as I did. I was quite suprised it was a 15.

Recent movie viewings (in brief)

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them - Fantastic (ba-dum tsh) film which opens a new saga in the Wizzarding World. Fantastic casting, superb special effects and I can't wait for the next one - 9/10

Ghostbusters -
Awful first half, good second half - far too many attempts at comic 'one-liners' which ruins the film. The cast is okay and the special effects were brilliant. Tried far to hard - 6/10

Finding Dory - Hyped up by someone at work as being hilarious - it wasn't. Watchable but forgettable, same old, same old from Pixar and felt like a sequel for the sake of a sequel - 6/10

Captain America, Civil War -
Airport scene was brilliant, the rest of the film was padded out and boring - 6/10

Suicide Squad -
Mixed reviews, most saying it was bad, I loved it in all honesty. I'm not a big comic book person so I have no interest in the accuracy of things. As a stand alone movie I loved it - 8/10

Deadpool -
Another film I enjoyed, it was unusual to see a graphic comic book film (I think Watchmen was the last one I saw) it had some great comedy moments and action scenes. I just feel it was missing something though - 7/10

Last edited:
Wow, wow, wow. I certainly wasn't expecting the film 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' to be such a disappointing film. It probably is my worst non-cgi central (this excludes BFG) film as well as being really overrated.

Let me tell you firstly, I was expecting an alright film. I watched the main trailers but I didn't search anything before watching the film. However, I have been left feeling like I watched a film worse than ghostbusters (which I found alright and rated 7/10).

The positives:
- Mostly good-looking CGI which did mostly look quite real and natural
- Some good characters like Newt and Jacob Kowalski with enjoyable acting
- Very enjoyable first half until the middle section
- Good costumes used, even for extras
- Some good jokes, but needed more or none as it didn't continue the story's flow

Negatives:
- Some of the character were not good enough for the film. I found Porpentina Tina Goldstein and Queenie Goldstein both quite boring and bland. For both Percival Grave and Credence Barebone, I couldn't really understand who and what they were supposed to be. President Seraphina Picquery lacked power and control over the characters as though she was equal to them.
- The plot was one of the worst for JK Rowling. From about halfway in the film, I was getting confused about what was going on and why it was happening. Like the musical Les Miserables (which I didn't enjoy), I came to a point where I decided it was too confusing to follow and just watched it, without understanding the true story. When I arrived home tonight, after watching the film, I immediately searched up the film on wikipedia in the hope that I could understand what really went on. Fortunately, I was able to gain a better understanding but in my eyes, it is a huge flaw that I had to do this. This point leads me to my next negative...
- The final fighting scene was just far too confusing, after I had completed misunderstood what was going on. I simply could not understand who the villain was and why everything was happening the way it was. In my eyes, it was a total mess, with things happening for no logic explanation. Another thing I noticed was the large similarities with doctor strange in what happens.
- I don't know what plot twist was involved because I didn't find it creepy or scary whatsoever. It must have been something small because it was unnoticed by me.

It pains me to say this for such a major film but I have to rate it one of the lowest ratings I have given this year. Doctor Strange is a fairly similar film with similar use of CGI/ action, so comparing the two films, Doctor Strange is the far superior film. Even comparing Fantastic Beasts to Harry potter, it lacks any charm and character, as well as not having a main specific point which one could easily recognise with the film like Hogwarts or Kings Cross. For the reasons mentioned in the review my overall rating for the film is:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them- 6.5/10
icon_sad.gif

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them - 9/10

Rather enjoyed it. Lots of good acting, the plot was twisted and clever use of Effects. It was exactly what the Wizarding World needed.

Arrival - 9/10

Fantastic Sci-Fi with a new outlook on the Alien Invasion genre, absolutely mind blowing (literally)

Fantastic Beasts - 7/10

Was an alright film, very interesting story but felt rather annoyed it was clearly setting up for the other movies, think it was fine just by itself, stop milking it J.K!

Watched last night

Now You See Me 2 - I liked it, very much like the first which I loved. Wonderful twists and turns and okay plot. I wasn't a fan of Daniel Radcliffe though, he wasn't very good in my opinion. Dave Franco though, ooooft! :D 7/10

Independence Day Resurgence
- 20 years I've waited for a sequel and it was one of the worst movies I have EVER seen. I don't think I've seen a film as badly acted as this was. I was so angry that this was what they came up with after 20 years. I nearly puked at the sheer amount of cheese that movie produced. It was essentially the exact same movie as the first one, only 100x worse and that's not a well acted film either. Truly a bag of utter s**t! 2/10 (two is for the aliens)

I watched 'Little Miss Sunshine' tonight. I always overlooked it when looking through lists of films to watch. However, it was a really good film. Worth a watch :)

A brief run down of some others from this year....

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 9.5/10
More of the Harry Potter film universe, with a gripping plot and 4D? Yes please. Unapologetic fanboy here. My review would be a waste to continue as I am so biased.

Anthropoid 9.5/10
A grim look in to a technically successful WWII op ordered by the Czech Government in exile. Watch as the opposition to German rule eventually succeed, then have to kill themselves by guns or cyanide to escape torture and death. German reprisals were severe, 5,000 murdered and a village burnt with all men shot, all women were sent to concentration camps and nearly all the children were gassed.

The Godfather 9/10
Well, what can I say? Another Cineworld classics night, another epic film. If you've seen it, you know what I mean. If you haven't? Watch it and report back

Finding Dory 8.5/10
Sequel to much loved Finding Nemo, this lives up to it's predecessor and stands as another excellent Pixar film. Not quite the pinnacle of Pixar (See The Incredibles for this) but certainly up with the best

Sausage Party 8/10
Sweary food making good film? Sure, I'm in. Have to be in a very silly mood to watch but seeing the ending makes it all worth it :p

The Godfather Part 2 7.5/10
Not quite as good as the original, with a weaker plot and losing it's way slightly but definitely worth a watch. 7.5 is fair.

Money Monster 7/10
First time I have seen Jodie Foster turning her hand to directing, but I was impressed. The film centres on a man trying to get revenge after losing his money seemingly due to following advice from a TV show after a 'computer glitch' caused shares in a company to crash, before it is revealed to be far more serious.

Now You See Me 2 7/10
Lacking compared to the original and I can't place why. Still enjoyable but just lacking something? Maybe lack of Madhouse?

Magnificent Seven 7/10
A Western that isn't 900 hours long! Pretty normal plot and the casting was right. All in all not bad for a remake especially.

Nerve 7/10
Are you a player or a watcher, a watcher or a player? What happens when social media meets the Hunger Games? This. Isn't the best film, but a good one that follows it's idea well

Bad Moms 6.5/10
Something I never expected to enjoy, but it is deeper than I thought showing what can happen with people's seemingly perfect lives crumbling.

Grimsby 6.5/10
Much silliness, if you don't like daft don't watch but otherwise go in with an open mind and probably some alcohol and it's a good laugh

Zootropolis 6.5/10
Try everything apparently, even being a rabbit cop. Didn't quite live up to the hype but wasn't abominable either, not by a long way. Pretty standard fare, but perfectly fine for it.

Suicide Squad 6.5/10
We didn't need Batman. We certainly didn't need Joker being introduced in such a poor way. A film rescued by the ladies pretty much, with Margot Robbie and Viola Davis putting in good performances but the film sffering from a very very badly edited script (clearly a panicked half rewrite after Batman and Superman's tiff didn't end well)

Trolls 6.5/10
Goblins are better than Trolls, according to Nekrogoblikon. They probably are, but the Trolls put in a good show/musical/thing. No Troll left behind indeed.

A Street Cat Named Bob 6.5/10
Seemingly missing part of the story, but watch an ex-druggie recover with help of a ginger cat and a guitar. Again, decent but not really notable.

Miss Peregrine 6/10
Special children live in a protected time loop, it's found and then follows a generic rescue plot. Nice base theme, meh plot.

Kubo 6/10
Never gelled with this, very pretty film but the story never fully engaged me. Probably should be higher, but never grabbed me.

BFG 6/10
More of the same, pretty CG,meh plot that never gets you massively involved.

Girl On The Train 6/10
Ex-alcoholic claims to see something about a young women's death, before it is discovered she is what she is. Then it turns out her past has been fabricated by her ex to make her downtrodden and to behave. Plot meanders slowly along, never getting going fully.

Kung Fu Panda 3 6/10
Nice family friendly slice of merch selling relaxed fun. Don't read too hard in to it.

Secret Life Of Pets 6/10
Slight disappointment, was hoping for something even slightly different but a usual generic friendly way to relax for an hour or so

Storks 5.5/10
Again generic but even more lacking. Basically Amazon's drones if they were alive and could make bird jokes.

Ghostbusters 5/10
Equally as meh as the original, strained the references like having particularly bad constipation. Not the apocalypse as predicted by GB fans, but not the rescue Sony needed.

Alice TTLG 5/10
CGI Fest 2016, meant to feel like a semi-fantasy realm just felt like a CGI land afar, with meh acting and a plot that wasn't horrendous.

Angry Birds 5/10
Why so many generic films?

Central Intelligence 5/10
A comedy that half works, half not so half score. Better than expected though.

Bridget Jones's Baby 5/10
Half awkward, half funny, half score. Rating middle films is hard isn't it? Remind me not to let them stack up like this again

I, Daniel Blake 5/10
Very very good film, just didn't enjoy watching it and since this list is enjoyment based it lurks down here. Basically Ken Loach sticking one to the Tory scum in charge.

Nocturnal Animals 5/10
Need to think behind this, reflects one story line in a story that makes itself the other plot. More Nicole's film, with her liking Gyllehnaal so much and me just being there XD

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:OOTS 3/10
AHHHH Monsters. These aren't Turtles. This isn't a good film.. Why plane diving, why Sheamus from WWE? Why all BAY. STOP.

Warcraft 3/10
Geekgasm for something I don't geek in. Most went over my head as I struggled to care.

Benhur 3/10
Someone wrote this? Even God himself couldn't rescue it from being a pile of poor quality dirge.

Ouija OOE 2/10
Bore Fest 2016 Part I. Did anything happen? Just made me want to sleep, with the action not even being strong enough to end my semi-comatose state.

Blair Witch 2/10
URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Bore Fest 2016 Part II, utter dull 85 mins followed by a ridiculous 5 mins of crap. Made me wonder if I should just eat my Unlimited Card and cancel my subscription.

This last one wasn't in the cinema and I had plenty of painkillers in me at the time, so may be skewed...

Batman V Superman Dawn Of Justice 4/10
Snore of Justice, far too dark and gritty attempt for something that'd be better with a lighter tone. However I was ill and it was on to distract me from being Nil By Mouth and breakfast arriving nearby.