• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST Film Review Thread

Saw Fast and The Furious 9 (Nine!) yesterday, the Fast saga continues as you'd expect it eschews logic and any sort of reality for action and humour. At this point character resurections and twists seem par for the course as the action moves from continent to continent. John Cena is an able addition to the cast as Jacob, Dom Torettos previously unmentioned brother.
However later cast additions like Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham are absent (too busy fighting actual an super human in their spin off no doubt).
A film series that started about underground street racing and stealing TV/DVD players now features characters going into space.

It's best off turning your brain off and enjoying the ride. The best description I read is to think of them as super heroes but their power is cars.

Supernova

Saw this today the ever excellent Colin Firth (Sam), and Stanley Tucci (Tusker) are magnificent as a married couple on a road trip. Visiting memorable places from their relationship as well as friends and relatives. Whilst Sam is trying to continue as normal and finding ways to adapt it becomes clear that Tusker, aware with his early onset dementia, that this is in reality their last trip together as he fights his own brain to stay in control. Wanting to be remembered as who he was, not what he's about to become.

A beautifully understated film dealing with a major topic. Great acting, and really makes use of the beauty and desolation of the northern England countryside.

It would probably be a great companion piece for The Father, however I'm not sure seeing them both back to back would be a good idea for anyone.

Another Round

The Danish entry and winner of the best international film Oscar for 2021.

The ever great Mads Mikkelson plays Martin a school teacher, and together with 3 of his colleagues start an experiment based around the theory the human body is 0.05% lower in alcohol than we should be.

From this we get the story, filled with plenty of humour, sadness, and jazz ballet.

Definitely worth watching with a pint in hand (for research purposes of course).

So go and watch it now so you can brag you've seen the original when the eventual Leonardo Di Caprio starring remake is released in a couple of years.

Freaky

Following on from the groundhog day horror mash up Happy Death Day (and its sequel) we get the next high concept twist on a horror film.

As the name sort of hints 'Freaky' is very much a take on the body swop comedies made famous by Freaky Friday, in this case being Freaky Friday The 13th.

So what we get is very well handled horror comedy with both the gruesome kills expected alongside moments of comedy with Millie (Kathryn Newton) and the Butcher (Vince Vaughan) occupying each others bodies and the pros and cons this brings both of them.

I'm not usually one for horror films but it's great mixture with humour has me enjoying the whole ride.

Terrifier

Pretty much a slasher, usual teenagers terrorized by a maniac dressed as a clown named Art. What made this movie for me was how truly terrifying Art the clown was, the sinister smiles and the general look of him in certain lights, Tbh IT is nothing compared to this guy.
This movie is gory, its a slasher, what do you expect, although i did like this a lot purely watching the clown.

Black Widow

14 months later than scheduled, and about 2 years since the last film entry in the Marvel Cinematic Universe we're back with the 24th film of the saga, and the 1st of phase 4.

However whilst 2 of the TV series have pushed into a post Endgame world Black Widow has gone back in time to finally give Natasha Romanov her day in the sun.

Taking place in the days and weeks after Captain America:Civil War sees her initially on the run due to the Sokovia accords before a package from her 'sister' brings her back into her old life.

Overall I really enjoyed this, the 2nd act were it gets a bit bourney with the fighting, as well as her reconnecting with her old sleeper cell family, Rachel Weisz, David Harbour, and Florence Pugh. The latter two I could easily see getting spin off shows from this. The ending whilst enjoyable goes a bit Marvel paint by numbers, and I'd have preferred something a bit more low key than what we got.

So a very good start to phase 4 in the cinema with a much loved character finally getting her due. And with the delays we've had the rest of 2021 offers more quick fire releases with Shang Chi, The Eternals, and Spider-man No Way Home all due in the cinemas this year.

Watched Deerskin the other day, Jean Djuardin plays Georges.

We first meet him as he travels across France to buy the jacket of the title. Then things sort of get out of hand when his jackets desire to be the only jacket in the world and his attempts to document this journey leads to some darkly funny scenarios.

It's certainly not for everyone but I enjoyed how straight it's played compared to how bonkers it gets. Plus at 77 minutes long it's a nice brief watch.

A very musical trip to the cinema for my today.

Firstly I watched 'Summer Of Soul' (or the revolution that could not be televised) about the Harlem Cultural Festival of 1969. Six weekends and 300,000 culuminative attendance. The whole thing was filmed and then went unseen left in a basement for 50 years. Blending the amazing concert footage, with background stories of the political and cultural events of the time (the interviews in response to the success of Apollo 12 seem even more fitting now we've got billionaires launching themselves into space), alongside contemporary interviews with acts and attendees. Highly recommended, even better it'll be on Disney+ tomorrow.

Secondly, Edgar Wrights 'The Sparks Brothers' about Sparks and their 50 year 25 album career. It's a great watch if you're a big fan, or if you're like me and just know a few of the hits and that the keyboard player (Ron) looks like Adolf Hitler.
Genuinely loved it, great use of old footage alongside different types of animation. Great cast of interviewees from both sides of the pond as well. It's definitely achieved its aim as I'm currently listening to their last album from 2020 and looking forward to their film Annette whenever that comes out.

Quite enjoyed Jungle Cruise, wore its influences on its sleeve. Part Pirates Of The Caribbean, African Queen, Romancing The Stone, but not as good as any of them.

However Johnson and Blunt are excellent in it and Disney can make as many films as they want based on theme park rides and I'll go and see it as long as they cast those two as the leads.

This looks incredible, not been this excited for a film for a loooong time.

Can we just pretend tye last one never happened?

Well the 2016 Ghostbusters isn't in the same continuity as this one.
Plus it's not like Ghostbusters 2 was much good either.

However the trailer looks great, hoping it's tipped more to the horror/comedy mix of the original.

Going to be a spoilsport and say this looks somehow worse.

I really like the original, it's of it's time, but a near-perfect comedy/horror fantasy movie. As pointed out above, even Ghostbusters 2 is pretty crap, which goes to show just how entertaining the first go-round is, to inspire so much love and nostalgia decades later.

I don't think Ghostbusters needs a wistful, mythology-building sequel that just repeats the same beats and scenes with an earnest plinky-plonky trailer soundtrack. It's real 'Member Berries' business, in South Park terms.

I didn't think the 2016 version was much good at all; and not because of it's gender flip. I liked a lot of the cast and performers, I just thought the script was poor, but at least it had the foundations of a fun Ghostbusters movie; New York, actual comedy actors and a sense of zaniness, even if the jokes largely fell flat. This, on the other hand, just looks like Stranger Things, even down to the inclusion of that kid from Stranger Things. I know it was completed a while ago, has been sitting on the shelf throughout COVID, so the box office nerd in me is intrigued to see how it sells.

I remember enjoying Ghostbusters 2, but that was in the cinema in 1989 when I was 11 and I don’t think I've seen it since, so that might not be the most reliable of recollections!

I think this looks like it's aiming at the right horror/comedy tone in keeping with the original. It's easy to forget how properly scary some aspects of the original were. There are scenes that could sit in a straight up 18 rated horror of the time, but undermine it with the upbeat soundtrack kicking in straight after the scare and its suddenly in a kids film!

Stillwater

Matt Damon stars as Bill. We initially meet him as he works in America before he has to travel to Marseille.

It transpires his estranged daughter has been in jail for murder for the past 5 years. Whilst in previous roles Damon no doubt would've blended into the background and smartly found the evidence to prove her innocence.

Instead Bill is a brash American who unsurprisingly sticks out like a sore thumb and is likely to make things worse for both his daughter and his crumbling relationship with her.

However the film from what I was expecting from trailers takes a bit of a turn into a direction I wasn't expecting, more of a character study than anything of a man his own daughter refers to as a 'fuck up' (something she also sees in herself).

So maybe not one to rush to the multiplexes to see but definitely worth giving it a watch at some point.

No Time To Die

Daniel Craig's final go around as James Bond. This one set five years after the events of Spectre.

A thoroughly entertaining film that gives plenty of the cast who've appeared in the DC era something to do, Jeffrey Wright, Ben Wishaw, Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes, and Lea Seadioux. Alongside the new double 0 Lashana Lynch.

Don't want to touch too much on the plot incase of spoilers but it's a fitting end. Craig probably the first Bond to have a clear arc through his films. See it now before you hear any spoilers!

Certainly a busy few weeks at the cinema kicking off last weekend.

Went to see Venom Let There Be Carnage, nothing special but I enjoyed the relationship between Eddie Brock and Venom. The films almost seem like a throwback to what we expected from a comic book film pre-MCU. Still at 97 minutes it doesn't outstay its welcome.
Plus a post credits scene that'll get everyone talking.

And today I saw The Last Duel, directed by Sir Ridley Scott and starring Matt Damon, Jodie Comer, Adam Driver, and a very game Ben Affleck.

Telling the story of the last legally sanctioned duel in France the (very) long film tells the story of what led to the duel from the three main characters viewpoints.

Overall I enjoyed it, maybe not the sum of its parts, but the cast were excellent.

Quite a few more films I'm looking forward to just this week with Dune, and The French Dispatch out in a few days.

Watched *a lot* of films since I last posted in here, and with Christmas coming up there's barely any time to watch things - so here's just a few highlights from the past few months.

Supporting independent film, original stories and female directors all in one ticket was possible due to the fantastic Censor. Being a massive fan of horror, video-nasties and the way censoring media works, it was clear to me from the outset this would be one of my favourites - and it does not disappoint.

My most highly anticipated movie of the year was another horror - Last Night in Soho. It's been very divisive, but I really liked it. The first half is absolute perfection with some of the most ridiculous shots I've seen this side of the millenium, combined with Edgar Wright's wit and extreme eye for detail. I did find it lost steam in the second half, and the ending was pretty predictable - it felt a little too "on rails", if that makes sense. However, I loved it - already seen it twice and can't wait for the third watch.

Wanting to experiment with more obscure and artsy-fartsy stuff, I tried out Climax, which was probably the hardest thing I've watched all year. It takes an almost cliche, super simple story and turns it into one of the most intense, hypnotically versatile and hideous experiences you could want. It very much pushes itself into the extreme and is something I doubt many people would enjoy - what's more worrying is it's allegedly Gaspar Noe's most accessible film. If that's the case, I think I'll get off the train here.

Another picture I was ravenous to see was The French Dispatch - easily the most fun I've had in a cinema for years. It's a pure piece of fantasy - it's almost like someone forced an AI to watch all of Wes Anderson's film for a hundred hours, then asked it to make one. Within seconds of the opening, I was in stitches - instant five stars and possibly the best film of 2021.

Being a fan of Dario Argento, Tenebre was the next of his filmography I was due to try. Much like The French Dispatch, Tenebre is the most Argento out of all of his films. Gratuitous violence? Check. Suggestive themes? Yup. Absolute banger of a score? Of course. Ridiculous - almost hilarious - but really clever twist? Sure thing. People's heads getting smashed through windows? You name it, it's all here. Really fun film, probably my second favourite of his behind Deep Red.

And finally, my new all-time favourite - Love Exposure. I hadn't heard of this film before a friend recommended it to me, and I'm so glad I gave this a go. Asian cinema is notoriously over the top and bizzare, but this takes that definition to new heights. It's hard to say what it's about due to a combination of it being quite adult and just how much it covers - even at an astounding four hour run time, certain plot points felt rushed - but it's just insane. Ultimately hilarious in its craziness, yet tragic in its messages - this is one film you won't want to miss.

A triple header from the past few days

Spider-Man - No Way Home

The third part of the MCU Spider trilogy, kicks off as we ended Far From Home. With Peter Parker unmasked and painted as public enemy number one.

A triumphant movie, when casting got underway and suddenly there was talk of villains from the Sony Spider-man films could be appearing I was very apprehensive. Instead it's the films not so secret weapon, with Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molinas returns adding so much to the story.

Tom Holland and Co are great. Gonna leave it there though as don't want to spoil it for people have not seen it yet.

Tick Tick Boom

Lin Manuel Mirandas directorial debut as he transfers one of his heroes pieces of work to the screen. Andrew Garfield plays Jonathan Larson (who would go onto create the musical Rent) in the week before his 30th birthday. Trying to get his current musical Superbia ready for its workshop whilst also dealing with issues with his friends and girlfriend. As you'd expect with its heritage is a musical, people either breaking into song mid scene or part of Larsons re-telling on stage (the real musical Tick Tick Boom).

Overall I very much enjoyed it.

Klaus

Available on Netflix, it's very much a Santa origin story (Santa Begins?).
The main character Jesper, a postman is sent to an island to try and get the feuding local people to use the post service.

Following a meeting with the woodsman Klaus he hits upon a scheme to get the local children to write letters asking for presents so he can hit his target and get home.

An absolute delight of a movie, a real modern Christmas classic. Won't be a dry eye in the house at the end.

Went to see Kenneth Branaghs new film Belfast today. Such a great film, really feel good despite some of the storylines. A tremendous cast. Can see why it's been so well rewarded at the film festivals and is racking up award nominations.