• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST's Favourite Album's

I'd like to take the time to say happy 12th birthday to the defining album of the previous decade, an album that was somehow beaten by Take That's alter-egos Green Day, the peerless Kid A.

Nick said:
Blaze said:
Oh, and Nick, Absolution was their third album. ;)

Oh crap. :p

The Psychoaster said:
Blaze said:
When I saw Origin was 3rd, I was so happy. Then I saw what won. Oh dear. Pop-punk beat The Beatles. Pop-punk beat Radiohead. Pop-punk beat Pink Floyd...

The Psychoaster said:
To be fair, American Idiot has one of the best storylines/lyric sequences of any album of any music of that type.
When you're up against the 'mighty' Blink-182, Good Charlotte, Paramore et al, that's really not difficult.

OK, it's not 'bad'. It's actually pretty enjoyable for a pop album, I think it was at the bottom of my list just for that, there's a couple of songs that I'd call a guilty pleasure. But still. When you look at the albums it beat. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Oh, and Nick, Absolution was their third album. ;)

Again, to be fair, I've not posted in here or voted but from what I gather most people who do post here aren't particular fans of the Beatles :p If you were to ask a solely over 50s audience then perhaps (well certainly) there would be a different outcome, but most people are below 25.

The Beatles are the greatest band ever, no question, and deserve people to listen to them more. People just aren't exposed to them at a young age, and therefore, don't listen to them. If this poll was accurate, then they should have at least 50% of the top 10 spots.

I agree with you, however the poll isn't accurate and is based on the opinions of the relatively young userbase on here :)

If the poll were accurate then American Idiot wouldn't even be in the top 50.

Does anyone want to does this again for this year? It was interesting to see the results last time, and I'm curious to see if the results change. I can safely say mine would, as it would have five albums in common with my previous one.

Or, we could do the same game, but for songs. Although, if you want to see that, do consider that it may just be Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven and Paranoid Android, and then a million other songs with one vote, but it could potentially be interesting to see.

Also, if there are any more suggestions for games, feel free to suggest them.

I'm up for doing it again, because I'm not comfortable with the fact the last one was won by American Idiot followed by half of Muse's discrogaphy. :p

Blaze said:
I'm up for doing it again, because I'm not comfortable with the fact the last one was won by American Idiot followed by half of Muse's discrogaphy. :p

It probably won't be the same this time. Different people voting and people have heard different music. I know that there's only one Muse album in my top 25 now, so I doubt it'll be the same as before.

After listening to American idiot properly I can see why it won, muse no, they are just terrible. Probably fixed.

I totally forgot about it last year and never did mine, so I'm up for doing it again this year. Really haven't got a clue about my top 25, and honestly can't be bothered to decided, so mind if I just do a top 10:

1) Oasis - Morning Glory
2) The Enemy - Streets In The Sky
3) Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
4) Oasis - Definitely Maybe
5) Miles Kane - Don't Forget Who You Are (OK, tbf this one may be rated a bit highly because it's new)
6) The Killers - Hot Fuss
7) Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV
8) Oasis - Heathen Chemistry (Last album from them, promise :p)
9) Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City
10) Bastille - Bad Blood (Ooh, bet that'll be controversial!)

:)

Congrats to Adam for jumping the gun, but I guess voting is now open. OK, for those who didn't do this last time, here are the rules:

It can be any album, by any artist of any genre at all- but no best of albums or live albums please.

List your albums either in this topic, or PM me, and please show the artist and the album name.

Although it's better, you don't have to do 25 albums, if you want, you can do 5, 10 or any number (up to 25).

You don't have to enter, but it's a better representation if as many people as possible do. Just posting a few albums to try and increase the votes is helpful.

If you nominate something as your favourite, it'll get 25 points, and it'll get lower the lower down your rankings something is. For example, 10th place will get 15, and 25 will get 1.

The list must be ordered but, if there are two albums that can't possibly be ordered I'll give the two albums equal points. For example, for number two and three on your list, I can give them both 23.5.

Changes in lists are allowed, but a PM or post is needed to say what the changes are.

Hopefully we'll have voting done by August, but stuff may get in the way, so we'll see how it goes.

And my list (I'll try my hardest not to change this- at the moment this is pretty fixed- but you know how it is):

1. Origin of Symmetry- Muse (surprise, surprise)
2. Abbey Road- the Beatles
3. Nevermind- Nirvana
4. In Rainbows- Radiohead
5. OK Computer- Radiohead
6. Funeral- Arcade Fire
7. Is This It- the Strokes
8. Revolver- the Beatles
9. Doolittle- Pixies
10. Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd
11. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel
12. Are You Experienced- the Jimi Hendrix Experience
13. The Meadowlands- the Wrens
14. In the Court of the Crimson King- King Crimson
15. Pinkerton- Weezer
16. Yours Truly, Angry Mob- Kaiser Chiefs
17. Spiderland- Slint
18. Takk...- Sigur Ros
19. Rubber Soul- the Beatles
20. The Queen is Dead- the Smiths
21. Sea Change- Beck
22. The Moon and Antarctica- Modest Mouse
23. Forever Changes- Love
24. Hospice- the Antlers
25. Loveless- My Bloody Valentine

Might as well join in with this :) (Although most of my list will just end up revolving around a single band)

1. Electro Shock Blues - Eels
2. Blinking Lights & Other Revelations - Eels
3. Nevermind - Nirvana
4. The Meadowlands - The Wrens
5. Daisies of the galaxy - Eels
6. Gorillaz - Gorillaz
7. Want One - Rufus Wainwright
8. Poses - Rufus Wainwright
9. Audio, Video, Disco - Justice
10. Bish Bosch - Scott Walker
11. Beautiful Freak - Eels

Changes made on 7/8 - The Meadowlands overtakes Daisies of The Galaxy at the number four spot, Bish Bosch overtakes Beautiful Freak, Plastic Beach is removed from the top 11.

By pure fluke chance, I think were going to see a lot of familiar names in my list...

1) Muse - Origin of Symmetry
2) Radiohead - The Bends
3) The Black Keys - El Camino
4) Radiohead - OK Computer
5) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
6) Nirvana - Nevermind
7) Pearl Jam - Ten
8) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
9) Mumford and Sons - Sigh no More
10) Radiohead - Kid A

(list is subject to change, but thats how I'm feeling at the minute :D)

Prepare for my mostly horrible music taste.

1. American Idiot - Green Day
2. Take To The Skies - Enter Shikari
3. A Flash Flood of Colour - Enter Shikari
4. Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
5. Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World
6. Appeal to Reason - Rise Against
7. The Sufferer & The Witness - Rise Against
8. MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
9. Hot Fuss - The Killers
10. 30 Seconds to Mars - This is War
11. Living Things - Linkin Park
12. 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day
13. Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture
14. Common Dreads - Enter Shikari
15. Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
16. Endgame - Rise Against
17. 30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie
18. Breaking Benjamin - Phobia
19. Passion Pit - Gossamer

NF2 said:
1) Muse - Origin of Symmetry
2) Radiohead - The Bends
3) The Black Keys - El Camino
4) Radiohead - OK Computer
5) Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
6) Nirvana - Nevermind
7) Pearl Jam - Ten
8) Muse - Black Holes and Revelations
10) Radiohead - Kid A

We would be good friends.

NF2 said:
9) Mumford and Sons - Sigh no More

Oh, never mind. :p

And Max, considering your love for the Eels, try the Meadowlands. Similar style, but the Meadowlands is sadder.

Might as well.

1-Grace for Drowning - Steven Wilson
2-Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion
3-Diamond Mine-King Creosote & Jon Hopkins
4-Post - Bjork
5-Angel Dust - Faith No More
6-Fake History - Letlive.
7-Opus Eponymous - Ghost
8-Amok - Atoms for Peace
9-Lightbulb Sun - Porcupine Tree
10-Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

... That was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

SLC said:

Not horrible. 30STM however....

The Defiled have just released Grave Times Live. Now THAT is a quality album.

Poison Tom 96 said:
SLC said:

Not horrible. 30STM however....

The Defiled have just released Grave Times Live. Now THAT is a quality album.

I know :( If it's any consolation, I've not put their most recent album on because I can't stand it.

SLC said:
I know :( If it's any consolation, I've not put their most recent album on because I can't stand it.

I had to suffer through their god awful crap so I was in a good spot for Rammstein.

Just out of interest, how many songs were off their newest album (The one with the silly name?)

Blaze said:
6 of their 11 songs were off LLFD according to setlist.fm

All I know is that it was awful.

Anyway, on the subject of albums, surely Rammstein owe us one this or next year?