• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TST's Favourite Album's

Nick

TS Member
Anyone up for a game?

What I'm going to do here is create a game that, on here, has not been played before, but has been popular on other forums. Basically, it involves complying everyone's top 25 list of albums, to show what is popular for TST.

Just a few rules:

It can be any album, by any artist of any genre at all- but no best of albums or live albums please.

List your album either in this topic, or PM me, and please show the artist and the album name.

Although it's better, you don't have to do 25 albums, if you want, you can do 5, 10 or any number (up to 25).

You don't have to enter, but it's a better representation if as many people as popular do it.

If you nominate something as your favourite, it'll get 25 points, and it'll get lower the lower down your rankings something is. For example, 10th place will get 15, and 25 will get 1.

I'll give you until the 30th of September to hand in your top 25.

Lets get the ball rolling with my top 25:

1. Origin of Symmetry- Muse
2. Absolution- Muse
3. Nevermind- Nirvana
4. Is This It?- The Strokes
5. Black Holes and Revelations- Muse
6. Showbiz- Muse
7. Abbey Road- The Beatles
8. Yours Truly, Angry Mob- Kaiser Chiefs
9. Wasting Light- Foo Fighters
10. Tenacious D- Tenacious D
11. In Utero- Nirvana
12. Emergency- The Pigeon Detectives
13. Sam's Town- The Killers
14. The Resistance- Muse
15. Hot Fuss- The Killers
16. Employment- Kaiser Chiefs
17. West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum- Kasabian
18. Here We Stand- The Fratellis
19. El Camino- The Black Keys
20. The Bends- Radiohead
21. The Colour and the Shape- Foo Fighters
22. What Did You Expect From...- The Vaccines
23. Them Crooked Vultures- Them Crooked Vultures.
24. The Pick of Destiny- Tenacious D
25. White Album- The Beatles

I'll announce results- if sufficient enough- on the 1st October, so watch out for then, as well as a few stats.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to see some replies in soon. :)

1. Origin of Symmetry - Muse
2. Black Holes and Revelations - Muse
3. Absolution - Muse
4. The Works - Queen
5. American Idiot - Green Day
6. The Resistance - Muse
7. Mylo Xyloto - Coldplay
8. Progressed - Take That
9. 20th Century Masters - Madness
10. The Trick to Life - The Hoosiers

Good Topic. :)

I don't really see the point as nobody will nominate any of my albums except me, but hey.

1 - 25

Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips.
Super æ by Boredoms (AKA V∞redoms)
Kid A by Radiohead
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
The Man-Machine by Kraftwerk
Untrue by Burial
The Beatles (White Album) by The Beatles
The Richard D. James Album by Aphex Twin
Abbey Road by The Beatles
Music Has The Right To Children by Boards of Canada
Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland by Shpongle
Homogenic by Björk
Confield by Autechre
Graceland by Paul Simon
3 Feet High And Rising by De La Soul
The xx by The xx
Fever Ray by Fever Ray
Glass Swords by Rustie
Our Future, Your Clutter by The Fall
The Idiots Are Winning by James Holden (apt if Muse are in front - kidding ;) )
Kala by M.I.A.
Dispepsi by Negativland
Flower With No Color by Yoshimi & Yuka
Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk
Just Another Diamond Day by Vashti Bunyan

Just missed out: His 'n' Hers by Pulp, Screamadelica by Primal Scream, Hounds of Love by Kate Bush, Neu! by Neu!

(I need to adjust the order of this and add to it, will edit)

iz awl abowt KILLA DUBZTEP 7!!!

No, despite my love of dubstep, I actually have quite an interesting taste in music.

Here are my top 3 albums of the past 5 years, earlier than that and I wasn't really able to comment maturely on music.

5. Origins of Symmetry - Muse

Obviously a popular choice, but why not? The music seemed cool and innovative, and those moments that impress you come all too often. 'Feeling Good' sounds very suave and inspired me to broaden my musical horizons from the pop that litters the charts. It's all rather kick-ass.

4. Build A Rocket, Boys! - Elbow

Ah, Elbow. The Northern voice and those lovely melodies always capture me and bring me somewhere warm. 'Lippy Kids' always helps relax me. Great album, even the unreleased tracks inspire me. The song made for the BBC Olympic coverage, and the music performed at the Closing Ceremony only reflects what a great asset they are, and this album demonstrates what they do perfectly.

3. Lungs/Ceremonials - Florence + The Machine

I've counted two albums as one as I couldn't decide and they're both pretty similar anyway. Her mournful voice and the sweeping harps she uses flow beautifully and eerily with the complex, heavy drum beats that form the backbone to all her songs. 'What the Water Gave Me', 'Dog Days' & 'Cosmic Love' stand out as some of my favourite songs of all time.

2. La Roux - La Roux

Yes, I'm aware it's not exactly a classic, yet it was the first album I bought with my own cash and that falsetto with the unemotive synths produces a nice sound. 'Tigerlily' is aggressive and rebellious and whilst 'Cover My Eyes' uses a lovely gospel choir. Yes, she was a one hit wonder, but I listened to her album a lot and the song 'Growing Pains' really reached out to an angry teenager. Strange choice, but very personal.

1. 18 - Moby

My favourite album of all time. One hearing of 'I'm Not Worried At All' drifts me away. Those strings and peaceful tranquillity that Moby pours into all his songs actually leaves me drained of emotion. The beauty of his music can elate me or reduce me to a puddle of tears. The gospel samples he uses can be ghostly whispers or cries of pain. He'll build layers of sweeping strings and basic beats across harrowing chords, with meaningful words embedded on top. One of the best-crafted albums of all time, in my opinion.

Sorry if this is a little bit long winded and not really enough.

Sam said:
My prediction: Muse might win.

(at least top four will be all Muse).

Why might that be? :p

It probably will, but that's not that we can't see if anything else beats them. Muse is (extremely) popular with a few people, but I think some artists- like Radiohead and The Beatles could have a chance.

It'll be interesting to see.

In no particular order...

1. Bangarang-Skrillex

2. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites- Skrillex

3. Who You Are- Jessie J

4. Talk that Talk- Rihanna

5. Loud-Rihanna

6. + - Ed Sheeran

7. 21- Adele

8. Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded- Nicki Minaj (Please dont kill me)

9. Nothing but the beat- David Guetta

10. Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection- Katy Perry

I know it's short, but I cant think of another 15 that are my favourite!

cool_boy_jon said:

Well, there needs to be a particular order, really.

Just a quick note, if you change your order, could you please PM or post it in here- to notify me, otherwise I may miss it.

Nick said:
It probably will, but that's not that we can't see if anything else beats them. Muse is (extremely) popular with a few people, but I think some artists- like Radiohead and The Beatles could have a chance.

Problem is, the album choices for those two bands will be quite split. Split between OK Computer and Kid A for Radiohead, and Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road and the White Album for the Beatles.

There seems to be a consensus around Origins of Symmetry among people who like Muse. :)

Thats because it has some of the best songs ever produced by Muse, such as: New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased and a great cover in Feeling Good. And it's old Muse. :)

RyanYoxall said:
Thats because it has some of the best songs ever produced by Muse, such as: New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby, Citizen Erased and a great cover in Feeling Good. And it's old Muse. :)

Ahh, that would explain it. Is it regarded by nearly all Muse fans as their best album? I wouldn't know, I can't stand them. :p

RyanYoxall said:

Yep, what he said.

It has my three favourite songs of all time- and that's any artist- as well as the best combo (tracks 1-7) of any album I've ever heard. And Feeling Good, which is very popular and very nice, is my least favourite- which is really saying something. There's something in here for everyone, whether that's heavy rock, beautiful piano, incredible vocals, fantastic solo's- and Citizen Erased, which combines them all together in 7 minutes 19 seconds of pure music heaven.

That's just my opinion though.

Sam said:
RyanYoxall said:

Ahh, that would explain it. Is it regarded by nearly all Muse fans as their best album? I wouldn't know, I can't stand them. :p

Pretty much even between Origin of Symmetry and Absolution, but many feel that Citizen Erased and Bliss are the best two songs.

Go on then:

1.Slipknot by Slipknot
2.Grave Times by The Defiled
3.Rage Against The Machine by Rage Against The Machine
4.American Idiot by Green Day
5.Captain Morgan's Revenge by Alestorm
6.All Hope Is Gone by Slipknot
7.1888 by The Defiled
8.Black Sails At Midnight
9.Women And Children Last by Murderdolls
10.Back Through Time by Alestorm
11.Hardships In Season by Romeo Must Die
12.Vol 3: Subliminal Verses by Slipknot
13.Iowa by Slipknot
14.21st Century Breakdown by Green Day
15.Psalm 69 by Ministry
16.Sick Of You by Semperfi
17.Invaders Must Die by The Prodigy
18.Beyond The Valley Of The Murderdolls by Murderdolls
19.Hatred For Mankind by Dragged Into Sunlight
20.Korn by Korn
21.No God Slave by Embryo
22.Whatever People Say I am, That's What I'm Not
23.Shenanigans by Green Day
24.The Golden Ratio by Shadows Chasing Ghosts
25.Appetite For Destruction by Guns And Roses

Not going to put them into any order as it depends on mood

Wish you were here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
Animals
The Wall

Tubular Bells I
Tubular Bells II
Tubular Bells III

Led Zeppelin I
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV

Equinoxe
Oxygene

Jeff Wayne's The War of the Worlds

I'm sure there's alot more on the list, i'm just lazy.

Joelio said:
Not going to put them into any order as it depends on mood

::)

The order is necessary, so you'll have to find a way to sort them I'm afraid.

Sophie's Choice, I know.

1. The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

2. The Wall - Pink Floyd

3. Animals - Pink Floyd

4. OK Computer - Radiohead

5. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

6. Absolution - Muse (Yes, not Origin Of Symmetry, stop the press!)

7. A Flash Flood Of Colour - Enter Shikari

8. Kid A - Radiohead

9. The Seldom Seen Kid - Elbow

10. Rage Against The Machine - um, Rage Against The Machine

11. Led Zeppelin IV - (work it out)

12. Origin Of Symmetry - Muse

13. Abbey Road - The Beatles

14. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

15. Nevermind - Nirvana

16. ...And Justice For All - Metallica

17. Hot Fuss - The Killers

18. Demon Days - Gorillaz

19. All Night Cinema - Just Jack

20. Alive 2007 - Daft Punk (I know it's technically live, but the songs are that different from the albums they may as well be different songs)

21. Wasting Light - Foo Fighters

22. Different Class - Pulp

23. Leaders Of The Free World - Elbow

24. Mutter - Rammstein

25.American Idiot - Green Day (guilty pleasure)

Well that was harder than I thought. I tried to keep it as 'favourite' rather than 'best', so it's the albums I enjoy the most rather than think are the 'best', which is why there's only two Beatles records on there compared to so much Pink Floyd, for example. The order will probably annoy me, and I probably left out loads of stuff I prefer. It was only when I got half way down I realised I'd forgot RATM, for example, and that's in my top 10!

Oh well, screw it, at least I didn't put OoS on top...

Nick said:
cool_boy_jon said:

Well, there needs to be a particular order, really.

Just a quick note, if you change your order, could you please PM or post it in here- to notify me, otherwise I may miss it.

Ok! IN particular order... :)

1. Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection: Katy Perry

2. Who you are- Jessie J

3. Bangarang- Skrillex

4. + - Ed Sheeran

5. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites- Skrillex

6. Loud- Rihanna

7. Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded- Nicki Minaj

8. Talk That talk- Rihanna

9. Nothing but the beat- David Guetta

10. 21 - Adele

There we go! ;)

Have you heard the first two Elbow albums Blaze? Really great stuff, if a bit more low-key, probably my favourite of Elbow's work. :)

Sam said:
Have you heard the first two Elbow albums Blaze? Really great stuff, if a bit more low-key, probably my favourite of Elbow's work. :)
I have, I was considering including all three of their pre-TSSK albums, but didn't want it to turn into a list of their albums, so went for just one. It was really hard to choose which one, but went with Leaders because it seems to have a bit more 'get up and go' about it, not really more confident as such, because they all feel confident, but there's something about Leaders that feels different and makes me like it slightly more than Asleep In The Back, which is one of my favourite début albums. I know Cast Of Thousands tends to be the fan favourite, but I'd actually put it third. :p

Blaze said:
and I probably left out loads of stuff I prefer
Like now, when I realised I'd left off Mezzanine by Massive Attack. Oh well.

Ten of my favourites are:

1. Absolution - Muse

2. Pink Floyd - The Wall

3. Surrender - Chemical Brothers

4. A Kind of Magic - Queen

5. Black Holes and Revelations - Muse

6. Push The Button - Chemical Brothers

7. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

8. Under The Iron Sea - Keane

9. Hot Fuss - The Killers

10. Employment - Kaiser Chiefs.

:)