• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tulleys Shocktober Fest Trip Report 14th October

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
I went to Tulleys Shocktober Fest for the first time on the 14th of October with my dad. I went on 7 of the 10 'haunts'. The 'haunts' that I did not do were The Creepy Cottage, The Island and Hellements. I had a 6 fastrack ticket, which I used at the end of the day.

Before I get into the trip report, I need to say that I am trying to use a more accurate system for rating the scare attractions. This is because the majority of the scare attractions here were better than any I had done at AT, Thorpe and CWOA. I am now rating mazes into 5 sections, each out of 10 (Scares, Actors, Fun Factor, Theming and Storyline), which makes the total score out of 50. For example, my previous favourite maze, The Attic at AT, was originally rated by myself as a 9.5/10 maze, but using this new system, it scored 36/50.

My dad and I entered Tulleys at around 5:10 p.m. The mazes weren't open yet, because some of them open at 5:30 p.m. and some open at 6:00 p.m. We spent our time finding all of the 'haunts', which was quite easy.

IMG_20231015_100401.jpg

The first maze that we did was  The Cellar: Imprisoned.  We waited about 20 minutes for this. My dad and I were at the very back of the group.
 Scares: 8/10
 There was quite a lot of suspense in this maze, which I always like.
The snake animatronic, whilst iconic, was not very effective. After the 'maze proper' starts, the intensity starts increasing. At one point, there is an extremely narrow passageway that you need to go through, and there are some areas of this passageway where the actors can look at you through a hole, and they often bumped into the walls. The strobe maze was effective, although this part was not particularly intense. The part after the strobe maze was the most intense, and the actors came from a lot of places. The best scare of this maze was the actor who came out of the fireplace.
 Actors: 9/10
The actors were good at their roles, and they were quite inventive.
Fun Factor: 7/10
It was enjoyable, but not a maze that I would want to do again immediately.
Theming: 8.5/10
The theming was very good throughout, and it was done to a high standard, but it wasn't mindblowing.
Storyline: 6/10
The storyline is a cross between zombies and the Josef Fritzl case, but I'm not sure how the opening part
with the snake
fits into this.
Total: 38.5/50

Next, we did The Chop Shop Garage.
Scares: 9/10

The first half of this maze wasn't intense, but once you entered the second half, it became far more intense. There were a lot of chainsaws, which don't usually faze me, but the actors in here were extremely aggressive with them. At one point, I was pinned against the wall by three chainsaw-wielding actors.
Actors: 8/10
The actors in the first half weren't great, but the ones in the second half made up for it.
Fun Factor: 7/10
I definitely enjoyed it, but there are much more 'fun' mazes at Tulleys.
Theming: 9/10
The facade is brilliant, and the first half is very well-detailed, but the second half of the maze is lacking in theming.
Storyline: 6.5/10
It is a generic storyline, revolving around chainsaws cutting up people instead of cars, as the people who own the garage pretend.
Total: 39.5/50

After that, we did Wastelands Penitentiary. This was my dad's 2nd favourite 'haunt' at Tulleys.
Scares: 7/10
The part with the most amount of scares was the 'laundry room'. The actors used the 'laundry' to hide from people.
It wasn't especially intense. The famous
strobe
scene didn't involve many jump scares.
Actors: 10/10
The actors were brilliant throughout, using the environment to their advantage.
Fun Factor: 10/10
This maze is utterly brilliant and makes you want to go round and round again.
The strobe scene is a particular highlight.
Theming: 10/10
The building is very imposing, and the theming is very well done inside.
Storyline: 9.5/10
The storyline for this attraction is well-conveyed. I like the fact that there is a piece of paper stuck to a wall in the maze which explains about the nuclear war that happened thirteen years prior to the events of this maze.
Total: 46.5/50

IMG_20231014_234638.jpg

After exiting Wastelands Penitentiary, the show in the Wastelands Penitentiary-themed area had already started, so we watched the remainder of it. The show was very good, and there is a lot going on. Then, we did Doom Town.
Scares: 5.5/10

The maze isn't about scares, but there was an occasional jumpscare or two.
Actors: 9/10
They were convincing, albeit a bit repetitive.
Fun Factor: 10/10
It is another of those mazes where you could do it all day.
Theming: 10/10
There is a real tarmacked road in this maze. There is also real out-of-date produce.
Storyline: 7/10
The theme is cohesive but unoriginal.
Total: 41.5/50

IMG_20231015_180722.jpg

We did Electrick Circus next.
Scares: 6.5/10
The actors did a decent job with the jump scares, but there weren't particularly many of them.
They were good, and played their parts well.
Fun Factor: 6/10
This is a rather forgettable maze.
Theming: 5.5/10
The 2022 Tulleys theming budget clearly went to Doom Town, although the
trommel and vibrating floor
are good.
Storyline: 4/10
I understand that the new inhabitants of this maze have killed the clowns, but I don't really 'get it'.
Total: 30/50

Then, we did The Village: Coven of 13. This was the last 'haunt' that my dad did. It was also his favourite one that he did. We waited about 40 minutes.
Scares: 4/10
There weren't many scares to be found in this maze, although the actors were attempting to scare people.
Some people were jump scared by the witches in the swamp, although none of the actors came for me.
They were good, and they were realistic.
Fun Factor: 9/10
The swamp scene is extremely fun, albeit tiring.
It is a maze that you could do multiple times in quick succession.
Theming: 7.5/10
The theming is good throughout, but nothing special.
Storyline: 9/10
The storyline about Alice Hemlock is well-conveyed and is referred to throughout.
Total: 37.5/50

I then did Haunted Hayride: Route 666 on my own using one of the fastracks, because it was on a 75-minute wait.
 Scares: 4/10
 There wasn't much in terms of scares, but the actors did try and scare people when they jumped onto the hayride.
 The actors were good, and quite clever.
 Fun Factor: 8/10
 It is a fun ride, although the hayride is quite squishy.
 Theming: 7/10
 The scenes were good. There was a lot of fire. The scenes were also quite distinct, which I enjoyed.
There are scenes such as a graveyard scene, a Christmas scene and a zombie scene.
 Storyline: 7/10
 The storyline is good, and conveyed decently.
 Total: 34/50

 I then used my remaining fastracks to go on Wastelands Penitentiary 3 more times and Doom Town 2 more times, but in reality, you probably don't need Fastrack at Tulleys. Both of the mazes were as great as ever.

I really enjoyed Tulleys! The highlight was definitely Wastelands Penitentiary. My dad and I left Tulleys at about 10:50 p.m.

Last edited: