• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tusenfryd

Sam

TS Member
A couple of years ago, I posted on TTF about a little park in Norway called Tusenfryd...

When I posted that in 2012, I didn't think it likely that I'd go to the park - not in the following ten years anyway. But last Friday, Tusenfryd was exactly where I found myself, after taking a 20-minute bus ride from the centre of Oslo where I was taking a city break weekend with my friend Tim. It was odd to be at a park that had held a special intrigue with me for a while, despite it not having the fire-power of the boy boy European parks. I think we all have little parks around the world that we have taken a shine to, without ever having step foot in, for no better reason than because they look appealing.

To be honest, re-reading my 2012 post the night before I went to the park, I wasn't expecting much. None of the coasters really jumped out at me, there isn't much 'theming' to speak of, and the other rides looked a bit lacklustre. Either way, ratcheting up a new Intamin launch coaster (especially one with an esoteric layout) is always a draw, as is ticking off one of the rarest Mack credits in western Europe. I was also curious to compare it with the only other Parques Reunidos property I've step foot in, Germany's Movie Park, which embodied the struggle between small park charm and ambitions for bigger, more corporate offerings.

Arriving at Tusenfryd is a painless experience - it's obvious that the site was selected for a 1988 opening with nakedly commercial interests in mind, as the park is a 20 minute bus ride away from down-town Oslo, Europe's fastest expanding city. The entrance to the park, nestled on the side of a mountain amid a vast Norwegian forest, is the epitome of charm. It's nice to think that it evolved this way but it almost certainly didn't - the neat interlock and symmetry of the entrance pavilion with the escalators up to the park and Speed Monster's 'Norwegian Loop' imply that this was all carefully planned, probably opening with the Intamin launcher in 2006.

10516399_10152479677075250_1730890582_o.jpg

10490032_10152479675590250_1379322514_o.jpg

The duel set of escalators that bookend the beginning and end of your day are the park's first really clever move. They create a portal in which you leave behind your everyday life at the gate and transition into this place of fun and rustic nostalgia for a few hours. Obviously, it's a very cheap and home-made take on the idea that Disney use spectacularly at 'Main Street, U.S.A.' but it's surprising effective - once you're in the park, you quite easily forget the car park and the major highway that runs right past the front door.

Speed Monster

The ride that immediately appeals for obvious reasons is the aforementioned Speed Monster, a cheeky little Intamin Accelerator from 2006 with a layout unconventional enough to earn a place beside Rita as one of the Swiss company's least formulaic coasters. While the presentation is in many ways quite beautiful - the long, slim layout strings along a hillside, threatening to dive over the edge at any moment - I could do without the attempt at theming. If you're not going to do something well, don't bother at all - that'd be a good motto for this park to abide by.

Of course, being an Accelerator, it is almost legally obliged to have a race car theme. Yes, the pretty little trains are dolled up to look vehicular, but once you've seen that and the vroom vroom! dispatch and launch audio, the concept runs out of steam. Sad little plastic chequered flags littering the launch-track seem to wonder what their purpose is. The problem with the theme is not just the lack of execution, but the original idea itself. Formula One is lazy, and has seemingly very little connection to the park or to the country. Oslo hasn't hosted a Grand Prix since 1950. This ride could be Formula One themed anywhere, on any continent. Why not a more culturally cohesive theme, like an explosion in a Norwegian lumber mill, or in one of the country's many illicit 'moonshine' home brew basements? While the blue track of the ride compliments the austere green pines beautifully, the metallic silver station is ugly, and is crying out to be a log cabin instead.

The ride itself is nothing to write home about, but is good, solid fun. As expected, the launch isn't very powerful (somewhere slightly north of Blue Fire on the intensity thermometer) but the 'Norwegian Loop' is great - it's not a faceripper, but has a wonderfully natural and flowing feel to it. Thundering underneath and overhead people gawping on the escalator is very cool. It's just a sensitively designed, well-engineered, pleasant element to pass through.

The ride then hits its only real dead spot - an uneventful turnaround followed by a long, shallow and boring curved descent. This should be an inversion of some sort. But we're back to the action after not too long, with a nippy little pop of airtime as we thread the loop. The best bit of the ride comes next: two back-to-back S-bend hills that both offer two more pops of airtime as well as sprightly flips from side to side. These improve on the design of 2005's Rita, though I can't pin down why - think more of EGF's 'flip turn'. With a burst of exuberant spirit still needing to be let out, the ride enters a final corkscrew for good measure, a reasonably forceful little flip that leaves a good taste in the mouth as you hit the brakes.

Speed Monster is not going to set the world on fire, or reinvent the wheel, although from certain angles it is one of the greatest coasters visually anywhere in the world. I do have reservations both about the choice and the delivery of theme - if only it had been built by post-Thor's Hammer Tusenfryd, it might have got the treatment it deserves. Still, it fits the bill perfectly - a sprightly family-thrill coaster with enough intensity that adults won't come away disappointed, and it serves the function of a signature coaster better than almost any other.

Loopen

10503433_10152479675295250_686926938_o.jpg

Across the midway is what was the park's only big coaster for a shocking thirteen years, it's Vekoma MK-1200 / Tornado 'Loopen'. When arriving at the station, we were told in incomprehensible Norwegian that the ride was currently experiencing problems. The speaker, one of two hosts, was like out of a blissful dream, the sort of man that every gay man and straight woman envisages when they hear the word Scandinavia. He was blond, of course, and tall, with a beautifully soft face and perfectly symmetrical features. He had a boyish, naive charm to him, but the hint of muscle tone below his carefree t-shirt hinted a the strength of a man. He was probably called Magnus, or Ygnve or Jonas or something equally heavenly.

When we rode later, I said hello to him, and upon realising that we were probably the only non-Norwegians in the park that day, his face broke into a smile among the most beautiful I've ever seen. Young Norwegians love a chance to practice their impeccable English. His eyes were blue like the sky that day, and seemed to pierce you like a dagger when he spoke to you directly - but this wound bore no pain. I waved at him as I ascended the lifthill, and he waved back and grinned, revelling in the flirting from the English boys. He waved again on the brake run, and I think it was at that point that my heart burst into a thousand pieces, each glowing with unconditional love for this northern European demi-god.

Thundercoaster

10512126_10152479674895250_1195637241_o.jpg

Despite hearing great things about this ride, my expectations were still set no higher than lukewarm, perhaps because my faith in Vekoma trying their hand at anything but mine trains and madhouses is so non-existent. The combination of the words Vekoma - Dutch stalwarts of headbanging - and woodie is enough to make even the most rugged enthusiast think twice about their lunch. Here's the twist: it's a Vekoma, but it's really, really great. Not great for a Vekoma, but properly great in its own right. This thing is facing down a few GCIs in my ranking - that's how great it is.

Although you hear murmurings of its high quality, I suspect the very low numbers of international enthusiasts who have made it to this park gives this ride its status as one of Europe's undiscovered true gems. Here's why; first, the trains. Forget your perceptions of Vekoma trains being coffins on wheels. These trains look and feel very similar to Millennium Flyers and they ride nearly as well. Comfortable, plush seating, with minimal clutter all around you allows a free, liberating ride, like you get with the MillFlys. The restraints are also good, giving a fair amount of leeway, and the ride staff are hardly overzealous.

Thundercoaster (continued)

The first drop is actually a bit of a low-light: a long, shallow curved descent (a trick they'd later repeat to similar disappointing effect with Speed Monster) that doesn't really do much except shake you around a lot. This coaster is not rough, but it is a bit buzzy, and even rattly in places. Think, the better maintained CCIs, but with better trains. Fobia with MillFlys. Once we've got the first drop formalities out of the way, the ride really hits its stride with a steeply profiled ejector airtime hill. For a Vekoma, or for any 2001 woodie, it's surprisingly extreme stuff. Like the rest of the park, the ride is built on a hillside, meaning that similar to many of the coasters at Reunidos-stablemate Kennywood, the second drop is bigger than the first, and is the real show-opener. That's more like it!

On some POVs it appears to be blank, but this drop now dives into a tight tunnel, which adds greatly to its already-considerable intensity. After this shock to the system, the ride then doubles-back on itself for a top-notch sequence of airtime hills, each packing far more negative-G than this ride has any right to deliver. After a few uneventful turnarounds, the ride saves its best moments for last - three sharp little bunnyhops in a straight line towards the brakerun, each of which wrench you out of your seat. This is especially true of the final one, and your bum lands back on the seat with an almighty slam as you hit the brakes.

This ride, it shocked me to say, is an airtime machine. It could easily have been rough enough to negate that positive, but the excellent trains neatly side-step that problem. While it is not my new #1, I have to admit that no ride has ever delivered so much more than what I expected. I was open-mouthed when we arrived back at the station. Make no mistake: this ride is one of Europe's top woodies, up there with the very best. It is comparable to Wodan and Megafobia, and probably comes up trumps against some venerable legends like the Grand National. A criminally undiscovered slice of excellency.

SuperSplash

10499763_10152479647555250_2093684324_o.jpg

10481978_10152479674215250_1669372098_o.jpg

Not too much to say about this, other than that Mack Rides deliver a high-quality coaster as ever, that simply gets the job done. It's a bit of a baffling choice for a Norwegian park, but apparently they have a 'short and intense summer', so that is presumably when this ride comes into its own. It wasn't very hot when we were there, as you can see, but there were still a few dozen punters in the queue eager to give it a whirl. As is given away by the unimaginative name, the ride belongs to the same family as bigger cousin Atlantica SuperSplash, but they are very different.

The Scandinavian sibling dispenses with the turntables, replacing them with a turn not seen at EP. The backwards 'dip' is turned forwards, and instead of the German counterpart's straight drop, this has a Poseidon-style drop that gets steeper halfway down, in a classic Roland manoeuvre. I prefer going forwards down the dip - backwards makes me feel faintly nauseous - and the drop on this is probably a bit better, if only half the size. Also, it really paces it round the turn at the top, throwing you over the drop just at the moment you expect to hit trim brakes! The theming isn't extensive but doesn't need to be with a picturesque setting. Job done.

Spin Spider

I was fully expecting this to be the best ride in the park, and it was the only one that left me feeling cold. Visually it's jaw-dropping, the colossal pendulum reaching unnatural heights at an angle that should worry any amateur engineer. It draws in punters more than any other ride in the park - it easily had the longest queue all day, twice as long as for anything else. I was hoping this would wipe the floor with Eagle's Claw, and the KMG Freak Outs and Afterburners that I've been on. But there's a problem: it's too big.

The scale of it compared to the much tighter swings of the Freak Out mean that this ride is inevitably pretty forceless. Even when the swing goes 'your way', it doesn't offer much airtime, or the fabled 'willy lift' that these rides often tickle men with. What this ride does so is height and speed. When you face forward through the down-swing, you feel like you're taking off in an open-top jumbo jet. It's kinda awesome, but can get a little tiresome the third or fourth time. But as I said, when I'm looking for in these rides is a mixture of interesting g-forces, and this one is simply too big with too wide of a swing to be able to offer that.

The other problem is how long it takes to get to full height. It appears to be quite underpowered, and takes ages fannying around before it gets anywhere close to its maximum. This means of course that you only get three or four swings at full height before you start slowing down - the same problem that bars Rush from being a great ride. I'd say the ride time is 90% build up and come down, with only 10% of the top drawer action. I was expecting great things from this, but left feeling oddly hollow. Yes, in some ways its exhilarating - the sheer bloody height of it when you're up there! - but it simply doesn't have the depth or substance that I was looking for, especially the variety of interesting sensations.

Thor's Hammer

10516381_10152479647890250_2085879352_o.jpg

I have a terrible memory, and despite creating a topic about this ride, I had completely forgotten what it was when I arrived at the park. At first I was excited as I thought it was Gerstlauer bobsled Thor's Hammer, which is actually at Djurs Sommerland. I was disappointed when I remembered that it's just some cheap, second-rate dark ride. How wrong I was. The first amazing thing about this ride is that as far as I can tell, the entire thing, queueline and shop and all, is contained deep inside a mountain. There's the entrance to it, there. It's not a small hill with a warehouse at the back. The entire ride is carved out into the rock, and that alone is enough to create a hefty wedge of immersion in itself. I believe the cave was blasted out for a previous simulator ride but it must have been expended for this, as it's not small. Digging this out must have cost a small fortune.

The theme of the ride is the Norse gods, and if you basically think of Wodan's queue as a dark ride, you're on the right lines. The idea (as well as the quality level) is actually very similar, with stone statues, Nymph-dwelling forests and pounding, warlike music abound. I was expecting a dumpy little car, wheedling its way around a few cardboard cut-out scenes.

What this ride actually is is a blockbuster motion-based 3D dark ride, like a smaller Spiderman. The cars jump, spin and rock their way through a mixture of scenes, some based on screens, some based on physical sets with a number of effects and simple but clever animatronics. The animation is second-to-none, and feels like an IMAX presentation of a top Hollywood film, like Thor or something. As in Spiderman, the cars jump back when a character throws something at you, or spin on the spot as you're hurled into a whirlpool by the gods. This regional park have scored something way out of their league with this ride.

Sure, the capacity would need upping and maybe a few top-level animatronics would have to be scattered around, but otherwise this superb little dark ride could quite comfortably fit in at Universal or Disney. It is immersive, engaging and well-built. It feels cutting-edge, even though you know that it can't be. They've got far more back-for-their-buck than the small budget ($8.5m) should have allowed for this project. It shows that small parks can compete with the big boys without breaking the bank, if they spend the money more intelligently. And best of all, it's Norwegian! The theme actually fits with the country it is in, and attempts to tell stories about the native country's past, rather than just import some brash American racing cars. Again, like Thunder Coaster, this is right up there as one of Europe's greatest dark rides. It is better than anything at Disneyland Paris, except ToT. Another ride that is criminally overlooked probably due to lack of riders.

Other rides

Although I've covered the headline draws, the park has quite a few smaller attractions to pass the time with. The Log Flume inexplicably had a moderately large queue, as it is utter rubbish. It only has one drop, which is very small. It has quite a long lift-hill, but then like the Flume at Towers, it loses quite a bit of height just noodling around in the air. At least The Flume has three drops to compensate for the tedium. This does not. Very forgettable. The park have an S&S Shot Tower, which is as reasonably fun as all the others. It doesn't do that much for me but it's OK, and the views of the nearby Oslofjord are of course spectacular.

There is a Vekoma Junior coaster, a standard-issue layout which are always OK. My views are marred somewhat by getting stuck on the brake-run for a good half hour - very embarrassing for a credit whore. The only other ride of note was the surprisingly good Nightmare, a "5D" shooting ride with the same ride system as the late Vengeance at the old London Dungeon. Because Vengeance was so crap, I was expecting to go on this to laugh at the ridiculous spinning noise (like an Airbus taking off) but for it to be rubbish apart from that. But this ride was far, far better than Vengeance.

Nightmare is considerably longer, maybe three or four times as long. Using the same screen, it had loads of different scenes but - crucially - more stuff to break up the shooting segments than Vengeance had. There were about five or six different positions it could turn to, and some of the 'wall scenes' had physical effects going on - paintings that swung or shelves of cutlery that rattled, that sort of thing. There was just loads happening between the big screen segments. I don't know how they found the room, but there seemed to be endless physical scenes that we kept rotating to, that lit up with interest projection effects. It used a lot more 4D cinema tracks, with water sprays and leg ticklers and bum-pokers and smoke and a 'dropping ceiling' effect. It was simply great (whilst also being very funny for the stupid noise).

Food

10503458_10152479649930250_55507809_o.jpg

Like in the rest of Norway, food was shockingly expensive. Unlike in the rest of Norway, it was also crap. Scandinavia is pretty much the most expensive place in the world, especially when it comes to eating and drinking, and combining that with the usual theme park eatery rip-off, the prices can be eye-watering. We saw a medium-sized pizza "to share" (I could easily have eaten it myself) for £20. No thanks.

I've yet to go to a small park with great food, and this was no exception, offering the same processed junk you get at Lightwater and Flamingoland. I had a burger, chips and drink for about £11. The burger was quite nice, but the chips were inedible. It was like someone had fried them too long and then somehow managed to chemically extract the potato from the inside, leaving just a crispy residue of fat. At least the tired 50s-style diner overlooked Speed Monster's launch, so there was a distraction from what was on our trays.

Staff

Quick word about the staff. Forget Phantasialand. The staff at Tusenfryd are without question the hottest staff at any theme park I've ever had the privilege of visiting. The guy on Loopen was just the jewel in the crown. The number of beautiful, soft-faced, heart-melting, twenty-something blonds walking around was enough to make me faint with aesthetic overload. Most of the male staff were cut from this same stunningly attractive cloth, nearly all of them fair haired and ethereally pretty. All of the staff were happy, smiling, efficient and spoke perfect English. Although small parks often have problems with lazy and miserable staff, this place didn't. They all behaved like they wanted to be there. The girls on Thundercoaster were high-fiving every single rider on dispatch, all day. The chirpy, jovial, fun and energetic staff should be commended - a credit to the park.

Throughputs

The day we went, the park was pretty quiet so most coasters only had one or two trains wait. Still, that didn't stop them operating rides briskly, eager to get trains out the door and to reduce people's already-minimal wait-times. None of the rides are designed for high throughput (the Mack only has two boats!) but the staff were doing an impeccable job with what they had. They were snappy and alert, interacting with guests but being pretty damn efficient at the same time. The only rides that had a long queue were Spin Spider (low throughput by design), the Log Flume (bizarrely) and Thor's Hammer, which had a pretty low theoretical for the speedy staff to battle against. But all in all, not a problem.

Conclusions

10512285_10152479672435250_455324386_o.jpg

10509216_10152479666320250_2048819468_o.jpg

Tusenfryd is not pretending to be Disneyland or Efteling, or even Liseberg. It is a small, regional park that knows that it's biggest strength lies in its picture-postcard surroundings. The park is very minimally built-up, giving it the countryside feel of parks like Tripsdrill or Lightwater, and this nicely papers over the slight lack-of-rides problem. I do feel that it is missing a coaster or two. Now they've got Speed Monster, the obvious choice - a launched, looping Gerst - would be a bit redundant, so I'm not really sure what they could do to replace Loopen. Maybe another woodie, this time from GCI, and build a bit of a reputation as being a European home of good woodies.

People rightly moan about big theme parks companies, especially Parques Reunidos in particular, but what is curious about this park is that the great leap forward has come since the chain took over. Pre-Nightmare (2010), there had been no real attempts at theming or immersion whatsoever. Reunidos with Thor's Hammer have taken the park to the next step, and I'd like to see them explore this path further. It feels like they were sort of lost before this, not really knowing what to do, and this is probably one corporate takeover that's done a world of good for the park. They were treading water before, and now they have a clear direction.

It may not be as old as the other Scandinavian parks, it may not have a Rutschebanen, but this park has absolutely bags of charm - corporately owned or not. I was expecting very little - another mediocre regional park - but it won over my heart. On my last ride of the day, a sixth-and-final spin on Speed Monster, I couldn't help declaring "I love you Tusenfreeeeeed!" as we tackled the Norwegian loop. At that moment I did, and I still do. I'll be following this park from now on as it has captured my imagination, and I have a lot of affection for it. I'd like to go back some day.

Sam

Great review! It's great to know that parks like this both exist and are good. It's a shame there's no small parks here that are of a similar standard.

Reactions: Sam
Always good to read a nice in-depth TR from a park you've not been to. Cheers!

Reactions: Sam
Seems like a really interesting park.

I love reading about places I'll never visit :) Always good to broaden your knowledge - thanks for writing it Sam!

A useful report to read about since I'm visiting later this month...

I didn't even know they had a Vengeance type ride, which is excellent news indeed...

Tusenfryd have apparently posted this image to their Facebook page:

11045352_10152759334442549_3259036990628336994_n.jpg

Looks like it will be getting Timberliner trains.

:)

That's a shame, wanted it to be MilFlys. Hope it gets a bit of a re-track in the rougher areas (well, just the first drop and turn) but they leave the rest alone because this coaster is FAB. Genuinely one of Europe's top-tier woodies.

Tusenfryd will be getting a new rapids ride in 2016:
Screamscape said:
Tusenfryd will open a new "Rapid River" ride from Hafema for $5.4 million that will be located down near the park's Mack Supersplash flume and Thor's Hammer dark ride. The new rapids ride will also share the same Nordic themeing as the other nearby rides.

db_2016_RapidRiverArt11.jpg

db_2016_RapidRiverArt21.jpg

Looks very nice!

:)

Biiiig thread bump!

TusenFryd have announced that they are getting a Suspended Triple Launch Coaster from Gerstlauer in 2023. A video of the coaster can be seen on their website.

Track is going to start going up from today. They actually started the groundwork for this coaster in March 2020 but the pandemic meant they were not able to resume with it until November 2021.

Will be intriguing to hear how this rides once it opens. Let's hope it's not Gerst doing their worst.

It doesn't sound particularly great, quite a bit of rattling in that video. The inverted hang time though will be quite something. I'll possibly have to pencil in a return trip to Tusenfryd next year.