• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Twin Lakes - Xtreme Scare Park

smudge

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
After all the disappointment of Scarefest (so far), I have to recommend the below to anyone wiling to travel to Leicestershire.

http://www.xtremescreampark.co.uk/

I went last year when it was 'Xtreme Fright Nights' and thoroughly enjoyed the event.

The topic below has more details of the mazes if you are interested, but this year has slightly different Line-up.

http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/all-other-parks-and-attractions/xtreme-fright-nights-at-twinlakes-park/msg29818/#msg29818

Replacing the 'Sick Savoy' 'scare-zone' they have a 'Street Theater.' What this entails, I have no idea, but judging the success of last year I will most certainly be visiting again.

What to expect?:
  • Fabulous atmospheric lighting, including fires
  • Two excellent & very immersive mazes, one being TOTT standard and the other being Boiler house standard IMO.
  • Excellent selection of roaming actors
  • Little-to-no ques
  • Three more mediocre mazes, although still fun and still providing some good scares
  • Excellent value
  • Friendly & helpful staff

We easily got round everything, including the two 'scare zones' (not included this year,) in 2 hours so easily done in an evening without effecting your week. There are no rides available this year, although last year the 'tea cups' were operating as 'Jesters revenge' which was a waste anyway.

If anyone does go, I would love to hear your opinions on the event.

Last year Xtreme Scream Park brought you “The Single Biggest Leap so far in the UK’s Halloween Industry.” Now were back for 2013 even more terrifying then ever!!!

Twinlakes, the East Midlands No.1 Family Theme Park provides the infrastructure for Xtreme Scream Park to deliver over 100 dark corridors, 65 Live Actors and 50 uniquely themed rooms, packed into 5 exclusive Horror Mazes and Live Street Theatre this Halloween.
Purchasing a ticket for one of our Nights of Frights entitles entrance to the park which includes access to the following;

5 Live Horror Mazes
Street Theatre
Free Car Parking
Photo Opportunities
Cafe’s Serving Hot Food and Refreshments
Fully Licensed Bar
BBQ

Stuart Beare | Tulleys Farm, Shocktober Fest
The Single Biggest Leap so far in the UK Halloween Attraction industry!

Michael Bolton | ScareTOUR Reviews
Some of the best scares that you will see all year round

Jay Jay | Terror Attractions Official Review
Without a doubt on par with some of the best scare attractions I have come across

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqV5S72Uazk#ws

Me and two friends went last year and absolutely loved it! I couldn't recommend it enough to people when I had got back and will absolutely be paying a visit this year!

Am I right in thinking the lineup of mazes is unchanged from last year? :)

LiamC said:
Me and two friends went last year and absolutely loved it! I couldn't recommend it enough to people when I had got back and will absolutely be paying a visit this year!

Yes, that's right. Although instead of the 'scare zones'; 'sick savoy' & the 'twisted playground' these are replaced by a 'Street Theatre' - what this entails, I have no idea.

smudge said:
LiamC said:

Yes, that's right. Although instead of the 'scare zones'; 'sick savoy' & the 'twisted playground' these are replaced by a 'Street Theatre' - what this entails, I have no idea.

That was the only down side to last year unfortunately for me.

Twisted Playground had nothing going on in it whilst we were there and I thought the acting and execution of Sick Savoy was poorly done to be honest. The gentleman doing the part when we watched it was rushing through it extremely quickly. Also, people were free to just wander in and out and join in half way through the show so a lot of people spent the time they were in there looking confused.

Perhaps allotted time slots for shows would have curbed this problem, but alas it seems they're changing it so good good :)

Wait, it doesn't mention what ride it was? I believe the phrase is "[citation needed]".

According to other reports (ITV/Leicester Mercury) it was the Moser Drop Tower, so it's no wonder they fell to the ground whilst still somehow remaining seated...

Bit of a weird one really, giving the expulsion of the ride's hydraulic fluid... Given that it looks like those attractions are mostly cable based, and likely that the restraints have the majority of any hydraulic systems? I'm sure someone has worked at Paultons on one forum and can explain further, but I can't imagine restraint systems having a massive reservoir of fluid to gush out and cover people head to toe...

I'm no expert and could be totally wrong but I think these rides use some sort of hydraulic pistons for bringing the gondola down to its final position. So I would imagine it is these that have failed; the same thing happen on Mach Tower at BGW during testing.

:)

If it's the same type as Magma at Paultons, the restraints are air powered (the op has to connect a hose to the gondola when it's parked)

I'm no expert and could be totally wrong but I think these rides use some sort of hydraulic pistons for bringing the gondola down to its final position. So I would imagine it is these that have failed; the same thing happen on Mach Tower at BGW during testing.

:)
Having been on this particular ride multiple times as a nipper, yes there are hydraulics at the base of the tower for lowering the gondola at the end of the ride sequence. :)

Here tonight. It’s very quite. All mazes done in two hours.
Unlike Merlin they don’t give a stuff about sending you through a maze alone
Ash hell , The Village, the Final Curtain all done solo
Thought my heart was going to give in

Scarefest tomorrow so see if they can do better.

I don’t think so.

Unfortunately

Visited here last night. I'm still in shock about how brilliant the entire experience was. We weren't expecting much at all because we've visited other Scream Parks in the Midlands/North and weren't that impressed. However, this had absolutely incredible sets, theming and casts.

The Village was in all honesty a masterpiece. The theming inside (personally) is second to none. I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, but everything is really thought out. The actual maze went on for almost 20 minutes, so a really lengthy scare experience. Worth the entrance fee even if you only come and experience The Village. 10/10.

Ash Hell was great too. It did go on for quite some time, and so your body starts to get worn out from being on edge for that length of time (not complaining though!), but the attention to detail again is outstanding for an attraction which only stands for 3-4 weeks. The interaction between the actors and our group was fantastic too. I think maybe in some parts the actors didn't execute the scares as brilliantly as they could; perhaps not taking full advantage of some great hiding spots we scouted out after walking past. Maybe because the maze is so big though, they can change which areas they use to scare! 9/10

Stilton Hotel & Hell Spa was a masterpiece in design and layout. Some great comedy in places mixed in with some fantastic scares. I honestly think for me this one was tied with Ash Hell- not on 'scare' level but on theming/attention to detail. 9/10

Curtains was just mediocre. I think the fact this maze is in a Scream Park with 5 other incredibly well themed mazes, it makes it stick out quite badly which is a shame. It just felt more like the same rooms over and over again. That being said, there were some brilliant scares inside, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with this next year as Curtains is leaving after this season. 7/10

Pie Factory was great. I wouldn't really say it was amazing, but again because this maze is up against The Village, Stilton Hotel & Ash Hell, it's really hard to rate. If this maze was perhaps the new maze at Towers for this season for example, it would of been received really well compared to Sub Species, Mine Tours etc, and I'd of still been impressed if we'd of left the Scream Park without experiencing the other 3. But again, nothing to complain about! The effects inside are again fantastic, the cast were lively, and the theming again is second to none! 8/10

Hoodo Voodo was another great maze. This is how you do hooded mazes! Really fantastic experience. Again, I don't want to spoil it but this isn't just a hooded maze, there's more surprises etc inside. Even though I don't find Voodo Dolls scary, I still managed to get jump scared several times. 8/10!

The one thing which impressed me about this Scream Park was there are no black walls (excluding some of the 'big squeezes' and hooded sections, but all of these were in darkness anyway). Everything is themed, and themed extremely well. All the space is utilized, making some of the actual mazes themselves pushing upwards of 20-25 minutes long! We kept turning corners thinking it was over, but had another 10 or so minutes left to go. I've honestly never seen such great attention to detail and the owners/operators of this event deserve every success they can get.

If you love scare attractions please give this place a go.