• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

The only thing that I think is certain is that Johnson will not resign. He'd rather be dragged out kicking and screaming. Having said that his position is clearly untenable and I would be surprised if he has enough willing MPs to appoint in to all of the new vacancies.
Isn't it great when you are wrong! 🤣

There is no way he can run a government right now, that will be the only reason he is resigning.

He is indeed set to resign. Has to be his new education secretary resigning less than 36 hours into the job. It's clear that carrying on he could no longer lead a functioning government.

It's a shame we had to vote for the likes of Boris just to get the results of a democratic vote enacted (Brexit). If only any of the other parties would have been willing to respect democracy. Let that be a lesson.

I can’t say I didn’t expect Boris to resign after the events of yesterday basically leaving him with a dysfunctional government, but at least he’s done the right thing of his own accord. For that, he should be applauded.

I wonder who the next PM will be? Unlike when Theresa May went, and Boris Johnson was practically lined up ready to replace her, there’s no obvious front runner here… I think the leadership contest could be very interesting, and could wield unexpected results.

It's a shame we had to vote for the likes of Boris just to get the results of a democratic vote enacted (Brexit). If only any of the other parties would have been willing to respect democracy. Let that be a lesson.

A democratic vote were the leave campaign was proven to have lied and cheated their campaign funding and promised remaining in the single market and customs union and then immediately rejected that stance once they had won.

Your idea of democracy seems a little distorted but then this is all old news.

Conversely, does it not ring retroactive alarm bells that the only leader willing to 'respect democracy' and enforce a Hard Brexit was one as fundamentally corrupt and shameless as the one currently being forced to resign by almost his entire party?

Personally, this is not a lesson I needed to learn.

I'm not convinced a 52% vote of the electorate gives the mandate for a hard Brexit. Imagine if remain had won by 52% and the government said we now have the mandate for a hard remain... join the Euro, join Shengen...

Anyway, wrong thread.

It looks like myself and others need to eat our proverbial hats. There's no way I expected him to resign.

I can’t say I didn’t expect Boris to resign after the events of yesterday basically leaving him with a dysfunctional government, but at least he’s done the right thing of his own accord. For that, he should be applauded.

The fact that he's left it this late should be anything but applauded. He leaves in utter shame. He should have resigned over partygate. This is anything other than his own accord, as you said yourself he can't govern. This is the only reason he's resigning, not out of any respect for his party or the country. In fact, by bungling on he's done a great deal of damage. The country is broken.

Back in 2019, one thing I took solace from when Boris won a decisive majority was that we’d finally have a stable government for a full 5 year term.

That didn’t age very well…

So who do we think will be next PM?

Looks like Sunak is one of the favourites. Along with Rabb, Wallace and Hunt.

I thought he did quite a nice resignation speech. He seemed genuinely proud and very supportive of the process.

The leadership contest will be very interesting…

I thought he did quite a nice resignation speech. He seemed genuinely proud and very supportive of the process.

The leadership contest will be very interesting…
These resignation speeches are near en copy and paste, he basically said loads of words that mean nothing. It’s a shame he didn’t stand there and publicly apologise for the mess he’s made but I don’t think we expected that.

So who do we think will be next PM?

Looks like Sunak is one of the favourites. Along with Rabb, Wallace and Hunt.
The one thing you can never do with a Tory leadership race is predict with any kind of certainty who will win. We'll have weeks of political pundits now pretending they know, but the process the party has almost always throws up unpredictable results. Look at John Major, no one knew who he was one day, the next he's Prime Minister.

Looking at what the membership don't like about Boris, I personally don't think we'll be seeing a centerist however, or "One Nation" Tory as they're being called. We already have people like Suella Braverman bleating nonsense about "rolling back the size of the state", an "end to cancel culture" and the "woke agenda". The loaded old Colonel's in quaint villages will drop their monocles in their Brandy with joy, they pay their membership fees to hear this stuff.