• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

Is Boris Johnson a centrist Tory? I always thought he was supposedly on the more extreme right end of the party, and was one of the biggest Eurosceptics?

Is Boris Johnson a centrist Tory? I always thought he was supposedly on the more extreme right end of the party, and was one of the biggest Eurosceptics?
Boris is a self serving populist. He's a right winger at heart, but presided over a government that raised taxes and spent money like there was no tomorrow. He achieved the feat of winning red wall seats by getting people who have never voted Tory in their entire lives to vote for him. He attempts to be whatever the crowd want him to be

Seems that this Tweet from Mandy hasn’t gone down too well based on the comments it’s received

3ddc3f20b00bb7197279cf9b6f17301b.jpg

Entitled to power without question, destructively stubborn in the face of well-meaning advice, prone to change the rules despite what they've promised to deliver the public...

And to be fair, Johnson himself also leaves a lot to be desired.
Post of the year right there

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

He is relatively left wing economically and socially liberal, but only for populist purposes. It is usually a fairly popular position unless you have Rupert Murdoch against you.

The new Education Minister everyone. Another delightful Conservative MP who will be a great role model I’m sure…

I have just been listening to candidate Thomas Tugendhat talking about his wish for "world class public services".

But all the Conservatives do - and have done - in the past 12 years and in previous governments, is cut spending on them!?

Free markets. Of course they want world class services, so long as they don't have to pay for them...

Either the Tory leadership candidates are being completely insincere about the reality of governing during a period of rapid inflation or they are assuring themselves of defeat in 2 years time.

The current odds for the next Conservate leader have Rishi Sunak as the forerunner with Penny Mordaunt and Liz Truss catching up quickly.

1657652811569.png
Source: The Guardian

The first ballot is tomorrow where any candidate who fails to secure 30 votes will be eliminated. The second ballot will then take place on Thursday where the candidate with the fewest will be eliminated. This will continue next week until only two remain, when it will then be opened up to the wider Conservative members to vote over the summer. The new leader will be known by the 5th September.

A little bit about the forerunners (taken from The Evening Standard):

Rishi Sunak
  • Staunch Brexiteer, almost always voted for pro-Brexit policies
  • Generally voted against more EU integration
  • Consistently voted for reducing the rate of taxation on corporations, as well as consistently voting against higher taxes on banks.
  • Consistently voted against higher benefits for those with prolonged illness or disability
  • Has never voted on gay rights or on allowing marriages between same-sex couples, having abstained from these votes in 2019.

Penny Morduant
  • Generally voted against further integration with the EU
  • Abstained on a government vote in June 2016 about whether the UK should stay in the EU or not
  • Voted in favour of raising the UK’s university tuition fee level to £9,000 per year
  • Consistently voted in favour of raising the income tax threshold, effectively a vote in favour of giving workers a pay rise.
  • Voting record on social issues has generally been liberal, as she has voted in favour of equal gay rights, and for allowing same-sex marriage.

Liz Truss
  • Hard-line stance against the EU, helping to spark bust-ups with the bloc’s representatives [despite being in favour of remaining in the EU in 2016]
  • As Foreign Secretary, she has laid the groundwork for terminating UK participation in the Northern Ireland Protocol via legislation.
  • Consistently voted for selling England’s state owned forests, as well as against financial incentives for low carbon emission electricity generation methods.
  • Almost always voted against measures to prevent climate change
  • Consistently voted for welfare spending reductions, and she has also voted for the “bedroom tax”, which meant reducing housing benefits for people living in social housing deemed to have excess bedrooms
And of course, famous for many quotes such as cheese and pork markets, plus this gem

You can see more about the voting history of them across a whole range of areas at theyworkforyou.com: Rishi Sunak, Penny Morduant and Liz Truss

Last edited:
See they're also refusing to allow a Vote of No Confidence to be raised by Labour (presumably because the Tories don't want to be seen to have forced the PM to resign but then publicly back him again).

Seems that Parliament needs a good reorganisation as well, as it doesn't work on a honour code system when there's so many dishonourable people involved.

Liz Truss is the tories Dianne Abott; regardless of actual capabilities (and in each case I'm not sure what they are, but suspect they are low) she comes across as uttey incompetent and would not be electable. I don't think I know a single person who as a possitive opinion of her.

Liz Truss is the tories Dianne Abott; regardless of actual capabilities (and in each case I'm not sure what they are, but suspect they are low) she comes across as uttey incompetent and would not be electable. I don't think I know a single person who as a possitive opinion of her.
Perhaps it would be worth it for the NEW PORK MARKETS!