• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

happy show GIF

This is superb.

Next few weeks are going to be absolutely brutal.

Johnson's instinct is to cling on and we can expect all the filth to rise to the surface, he will be dragged out screaming even if No.10 is on fire.. Sunak leaving is pure cynicism, a last ditch attempt to prove he's not damaged goods and attempt power himself in the next few years. Sajid Javid genuinely possibly actually fed up?

Whilst I'm thoroughly enjoying the fall of one of the most dishonest and odeous Prime Ministers this country has ever had, I'm not confident he will resign.

I still think it's not in his nature. His number 1 supporter, JRM is someone who I would want in my corner if I was on the ropes and I think he has far more influence on the PM than anyone who has resigned or will inevitably resign before we all wake up tomorrow morning.

This man is dishonest and has no honour. He will only resign if he feels he cannot continue as Prime Minister through to the next election. At the moment he still technically has a mandate.

The pressure is for him to resign, yet again. But there's nothing technical that says he has to. I really really want to be wrong about this, but I just have this feeling that he'll soldier on. Please prove me wrong Boris.

Last edited:
There's no way Boris Johnson will resign. He is incapable of seeing that he's done anything wrong.

The rumours are that the 1922 Committee elections will take place on 13th July. That will be very important as it's likely critics of the Prime Minister will want to seize control to then allow changing the rules of confidence votes to get rid of him.

I don't see him lasting much longer but I don't see him going with dignity.

What's interesting is a number of Conservative backbenchers are saying that cabinet members who stand by Johnson now risk damaging their own prospects in a future leadership contest. Javid and Sunak are already known to have PM ambitions. Liz Truss is another contender and she's said she plans to stay by Johnson. That could be an error on her part.

Nip to Buckingham Palace sometime in the next week I reckon. Death or glory for him.

Utterly baffled how all the things up to now are not resignation matters but this is. They presumably knew this guy's reputation just as well as Boris and the rest of Westminster did.

Nadhim Zahawi appointed chancellor. I didn't see that one coming. Despite the knee jerk headlines pre 8pm this evening however, something I did see coming is the Prime Minister's determination to carry on.

Johnson's fate now firmly lies in the hands of the 1922 committee changing it's rules. With Johnson's character being what it is, it was always down to the Tories themselves to unseat such an unfit Prime Minister, not you or me.

This should have been seen far in advance of his accession to the premiership. He's always been like this. JRM is right in that the electorate did indeed give him massive mandate in 2019. The Tory party itself did as well. His dishonesty as Prime Minister is a continuation of what he's always been like and I find it laughable that people who have previously backed him are now having second thoughts despite the overwhelming evidence of his character before he was lifted to the top by most of the very same people.

Last edited:
Apparently he wanted Truss but Zahawi presumably threatened to resign or something.

None of these people resigning have honour and are just rats leaving the sinking ship.

He definitely won't resign though. His whole life has lead to becoming PM and it's been an absolute show. He's still got a month to have lasted longer than May as well so that could be amusing.

Wonder how many who are now resigning voted in confidence of him too. All they care about is being in power and how they appear to the public.

Children’s Minister Will Quince and Solicitor General Alex Chalk have also now resigned. According to BBC News, there have been 12 resignations in total from Boris Johnson’s government.

Surely he’ll have to resign if enough people go? I’m sure he will resign before too long… surely he can’t continue if so many of his cabinet desert him? I know he can always find replacements to the cabinet ministers who go, but surely it’ll send a message to him if enough of his ministers go… I know I certainly couldn’t stay if I was in his position.

Last edited:
The fact the word 'honourable' is being thrown around so much by the media suggests they see Boris as a lost cause, but they want to make sure his successor stands a good chance of winning the next election. I wonder whether the people being threatened with deportation to Rwanda see them as honouable. I wonder whether people who've been waiting years for operations see them as honourable. I wonder whether the victims of crime who can't get justice because most of the courts have closed, see them as honourable. I wonder whether the next generation will look back on their refusal to introduce new regulation on home insulation will see them as honourable. I wonder whether the people who've been abused at work will see the cut backs to ACAS and tribunals as honourable. I wonder whether the people who've lost their jobs and now only have one month to look for work in their chosen field will see them as honourable. I wonder whether the people living in deprived areas that were promised levelling up money will see them as honourable. I wonder whether the voters who don't have photo ID will see them as honourable. I wonder whether the friends and families of the people who died in Grenfell Tower will see them as honourable. I wonder whether the 140,000 people working as modern slaves in the UK will see them as honouable? Or the 10% of the working population on zero hour contracts.

Robin Walker has now resigned as schools minister.

Interestingly, Nadhim Zahawi, the new Chancellor, has been blaming the current opposition to Boris Johnson on Alastair Campbell, the former communications director for Tony Blair:

Interestingly, Nadhim Zahawi, the new Chancellor, has been blaming the current opposition to Boris Johnson on Alastair Campbell, the former communications director for Tony Blair:

Yeah, we all remember how Alistair Campbell organised all those Christmas parties at number 10, forced the Prime Minister to attend and made him lie all about. It was Campbell too who was caught red handed slipping amnesia pills into BJ's coffee so that he couldn't remember attending parties or had any recollection of knowing that his newly appointed Deputy Chief Whip was a sex pest.

He has a lot to answer for that Alistair Campbell. If it wasn't for him, we'd have no inflation, no strikes, no Covid deaths and the government would be able to get on with it's job.

Now the conspiracy theories box is ticked off, all we need now is for the Palace of Westminster to be stormed by thugs and Boris drawing lines on charts with a felt tip pen and we'll have a full on Trumpian administration.

Things are really heating up now…

Boris Johnson had a meeting with the liaison committee this afternoon, where he was quizzed about a number of things, and while I didn’t get to watch any of the meeting, my mum caught bits of it on the radio and said “they tore him to shreds”…

The number of resignations is now up to 38. Javid and Sunak remain the only two cabinet ministers to have resigned, with the remaining resignations being made up by more junior ministers, trade envoys and other roles within government. This is the biggest walkout of government workers within 24 hours in British history, breaking the previous record of 11, which had stood since September 1932.

A group of cabinet ministers, said to be including Transport Secretary Grant Shapps and newly appointed Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi, are now inside No 10 urging Boris Johnson to resign. Sir Graham Brady, head of the 1922 Committee, has also gone to visit Boris Johnson to give him “wise counsel” (basically, telling him that he’s lost the party’s support and urging him to go).

Other cabinet ministers, such as Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng and Communities Secretary Michael Gove, are said to be urging him to go.

Boris Johnson repeatedly said no when asked whether he would resign by the liaison committee.

There have reportedly been so many resignations that meetings on legislation scheduled for tomorrow and the coming days are having to be cancelled due to the government “being unable to find ministers”.

I think the next few days could be very turbulent…