• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

I genuinely don’t know who will win at this stage.

Sunak has a substantial lead among MPs, I know, but he’s not that popular among Tory members.

Personally, I think either Penny Mordaunt or Kemi Badenoch would be my choice out of the remaining candidates. Both seem to be on the more moderate end of the spectrum, from what I can tell (I’d say I’m centre-left myself, so I’d go for someone more centrist over a hard right candidate), and both seem to speak well in the debates.

According to the BBC, the leadership race is intensifying. So intense they couldn't even be arsed to have the last debate. This leadership race is about as intense as a whacky worm.
Wasn't it more that the debates became so vitriol the Conservative Party realised it was doing (further) harm to their image?

Or they realised that the candidates were so bland and inept that the public wasn't warming to them, or that people were starting to notice that they didn't have many policies. Maybe a bit of all of them. I agree that it probably isn't so much that they can't be arsed though.

The debates turned into a discussion on how bad 12 years of Tory government has been.

more
years!

more
years!

Truss will be the biggest dumpster fire yet. Hopefully she's hubristic enough to see the inevitable poll correction as a sign the public love her and go for a snap election in the Autumn.

Truss will be the biggest dumpster fire yet. Hopefully she's hubristic enough to see the inevitable poll correction as a sign the public love her and go for a snap election in the Autumn.
Interestingly, Conservative MPs seem very keen on the idea of any newly elected leader going to a general election not long after they become leader. Even recently, the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg have said that “any new leader would be encouraged to seek a fresh mandate”, and I’ve heard similar comments from other Tories, so perhaps whoever becomes leader will be encouraged to have a snap election?

Interestingly, Conservative MPs seem very keen on the idea of any newly elected leader going to a general election not long after they become leader. Even recently, the likes of Jacob Rees-Mogg have said that “any new leader would be encouraged to seek a fresh mandate”, and I’ve heard similar comments from other Tories, so perhaps whoever becomes leader will be encouraged to have a snap election?
People like JRM might like this as he's a Johnson loyalist. I can assure you that any Tory MP sitting in any red wall seat or pre-2015 Lib Dem held seat certainly do not want another election any time soon! The new PM will enjoy a massive majority in the commons that they're almost certainly not going to get again any time soon to push through all sorts of legislation for over 2 years. It's hard to see why they would want to put that at risk. This isn't a Teresa May or Boris Johnson style situation where they were in positions where they were struggling (or saw potential to struggle) to get legislation through. Although worth noting that it completely backfired for May and she was left in a far worse situation where she had to buy a small majority through the DUP.

How can Liz Truss be a serious contender for Prime Minister? How? I despair.

That. Is. A. Disgrace.

Liz Truss Uk GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:
A large number of those within the Conservative party obviously want to continue down the road of complete incompetence. Why change a winning formula :D

It's almost as though they're playing right into Labour's hands for the next GE. I mean, I'm a Labour member, so I'm a tad biased, but that's sorta fine by me. I just hope the Tories don't bugger the country up even more than they already have.

2 rounds ago, I was doubtful that Truss would get through, but it seems the right in the party have rallied behind her now that Braverman and Badenoch are out. Mordaunts headlines over the weekend have certainly had an impact and I think there was stuff at play to stop her going up against Sunak as she was seen as the memberships overwhelming choice.

Labour circles are internally hoping for Truss as she's unpopular with moderates and polls particularly poorly in the red wall and in lib dem marginals. Sunak on the other hand is a far better performer and more populist who is seen as someone who can reach out in these areas. I'm not so sure however. Truss sends out Thatcher signals to me, and right wingers love that.

I've been looking her up today and she's a very dangerous woman. Loads of stuff about lobbying Johnson for tax cuts for the rich, smaller state just for the hell of it, meetings with US Republicans discussing Reaganomics etc. Classic hard right stuff. She won't be popular in Scotland, Labour seats and Lib Dem marginals, but she definitely has potential to solidify the right under a new campaign of emotionless wickedness.

Bet Boris can't wait for the new leader to be an abject failure so he can "white knight" his way back into the role.

Truss seems to type of arrogant to hold a snap election soon. Probably better now than 2 years down the line with the current situation, even if they'll still blame it on the 12 years of Labour NOT being in government.

It's not that interesting. The man is a gobshite.

He also said that T-bags had effectively lost her confidence vote since she didn't have a significant enough proportion in support, but when Johnson faced one he recanted that and said in a democracy one is enough.

Lizz Truss is a disgrace but so is Rishi. To be honest, British politics at the moment is in a complete state.

To stop me from getting to the point where I cry uncontrollably, I'm off to downstream movies off that thing they call the internet eh Nadine?!

The country is burning, our health service is overwhelmed, we're entering recession, inflation is nearly in double digits, interest rates are rising and people don't know how they're going to afford their heating this winter. The country seems to be delving deeper into crisis by the day.

Where is the Prime Minister? Well he turned up at a photo op meeting today that ended up being pointless. His successor? Well she's still banging on about foreigners, proposing tax cuts for the rich and telling us what she WON'T do to tackle some of the problems - namely NOT imposing any further windfall taxes and declaring that "profit isn't a dirty word". In most civilised countries, you couldn't make this stuff up. But I don't think even the most naive of us are surprised by the appalling incompetence and ineptitude of our current government. Being smashed at the next election should be a dead cert shouldn't it?

But no! Because the real question is, where is Kier Starmer? I mean really, where is HM opposition right now? An ex labour PM has spoken out. Are labour MP's touring TV studios calling for a general election, an emergency budget, renationalisation of utilities? Are they shouting from the rooftops about how poor the government is and putting forward their alternative plans for a nation in crisis?

Well the open goal remains open without anyone there to tap the ball in. Shameful.