• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK Theme Park Awards 2023- Results announced

Skyscraper

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
The results are in, and some are quite controversial in my opinion;

Winners​

Theme Park of the Year presented by ADIPS

• GOLD: Chessington World of Adventures
  • SILVER: Alton Towers
  • BRONZE: Paultons Park

Best New Attraction presented by LEAPS

• GOLD: World of Jumanji (Chessington World of Adventures)
  • SILVER: Thomas & Percy’s Submarine Splash (Drayton Manor)
  • BRONZE: LEGO Ferrari Build & Race (LEGOLAND Windsor)

Best Reimagined Attraction presented by Katapult

• GOLD: The Curse at Alton Manor (Alton Towers)
  • SILVER: Valhalla (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  • BRONZE: Nemesis Sub-Terra (Alton Towers)

Best Theme Park for Families presented by Vennersys

Large:
  • GOLD: Alton Towers
  • SILVER: Paultons Park
  • BRONZE: Chessington World of Adventures
Small:
  • GOLD: Gulliver’s Theme Parks
  • SILVER: Adventure Island
  • BRONZE: ROARR! Dinosaur Adventure

Best Theme Park for Toddlers presented by BALPPA

Large:
  • GOLD: Paultons Park
  • SILVER: Drayton Manor
  • BRONZE: LEGOLAND Windsor
Small:
  • GOLD: Sundown Adventureland
  • SILVER: Blackgang Chine
  • BRONZE: Crealy

Best Theme Park for Thrills presented by Planet Attractions

• GOLD: Thorpe Park
  • SILVER: Alton Towers
  • BRONZE: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Best Theme Park with Animals presented by Attractions.io

• GOLD: Chessington World of Adventures
  • SILVER: Flamingo Land
  • BRONZE: West Midland Safari Park

Best Seaside Park presented by Ride and Park Media

North:
  • GOLD: Blackpool Pleasure Beach
  • SILVER: Fantasy Island
  • BRONZE: Ocean Beach Pleasure Park
South:
  • GOLD: Adventure Island
  • SILVER: Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach
  • BRONZE: Dreamland Margate

Best Themed Coaster presented by the Roller Coaster Club of Great Britain

• GOLD: Wicker Man (Alton Towers)
  • SILVER: Mandrill Mayhem (Chessington World of Adventures)
  • BRONZE: The Swarm (Thorpe Park)

Best Thrill Ride presented by Attraction Source

• GOLD: Maelstrom (Drayton Manor)
  • SILVER: Samurai (Thorpe Park)
  • BRONZE: Red Arrows Skyforce (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)

Best Water Ride presented by InterPark

• GOLD: Valhalla (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  • SILVER: Stormforce 10 (Drayton Manor)
  • BRONZE: Tidal Wave (Thorpe Park)

Best New Event presented by The Business Creative

Large:
  • GOLD: Night at the Manor (Drayton Manor)
  • SILVER: Eggsplorers (Chessington World of Adventures)
  • BRONZE: Springfest (LEGOLAND Windsor)
Small:
  • GOLD: Festival of the Dead (Robin Hill)
  • SILVER: BeWILDerwood Presents Christmas (BeWILDerwood)
  • BRONZE: Jurassic June (Pleasurewood Hills)

Best Live Entertainment presented by TAG Live

• GOLD: Hot Ice (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  • SILVER: Return to Skeleton Bay (LEGOLAND Windsor)
  • BRONZE: Sooty's Big Top Showtime (Crealy)
Seasonal:
  • GOLD: Amity High vs LycanThorpe (Thorpe Park)
  • SILVER: Banyan - The Circle of 8 (Chessington World of Adventures)

Best Adventure Golf

• GOLD: Extraordinary Golf (Alton Towers)
  • SILVER: Lava Creek Adventure Golf (Fantasy Island)
  • BRONZE: Adventure Golf (Adventure Island)

Best Theme Park Food presented by Rollover

• GOLD: Route 83 Diner (Paultons Park)
  • SILVER: Rollercoaster Restaurant (Alton Towers)
  • BRONZE: Loki's Après Ski Bar (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)

Best Theme Park Hotel presented by Pure Entertainment Group

• GOLD: Boulevard Hotel (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)
  • SILVER: LEGOLAND Castle Hotel (LEGOLAND Windsor)
  • BRONZE: Chessington Safari Hotel (Chessington World of Adventures)

Best Theme Park Music

• GOLD: The Curse at Alton Manor (Alton Towers)
  • SILVER: World of Jumanji (Chessington World of Adventures)
  • BRONZE: Haunted House Monster Party (LEGOLAND Windsor)

Best Customer Service presented by Convious

• GOLD: Paultons Park
  • SILVER: Adventure Island
  • BRONZE: Drayton Manor

Best Value Theme Park presented by Rose Events

• GOLD: Drayton Manor
  • SILVER: Paultons Park
  • BRONZE: Crealy

Best Marketing Campaign presented by Agility

• GOLD: World of Jumanji (Chessington World of Adventures)
  • SILVER: The Curse at Alton Manor (Alton Towers)
  • BRONZE: Rebuilding Nemesis (Alton Towers)

Best Social Media Content presented by Rubber Cheese

• GOLD: Drayton Manor
  • SILVER: Thorpe Park
  • BRONZE: Chessington World of Adventures

Content Creator of the Year

• GOLD: DigitalDan
  • SILVER: Theme Park Worldwide
  • BRONZE: Diary of a RollerCoaster Girl

For starters, how World of Jumanji won Best Marketing Campaign I don't know. 🤦‍♂️🤮
Was only good because I won the competition lol. 🤣

TCAAM won Best Reimagined Attraction though, which is good.

Last edited:
Best UK theme park - Chessington?

Sure Jan GIF

Was so happy to see Paultons scooping some awards! Shocked Chessy won best park (nothing against it, just thought someone with better ops etc may get that award but I guess with Jumanji opening this year it could have swayed it?) & I was almost willing to put everything on Nemmy winning best marketing!

I'm going to say it... do these awards really matter and does anyone actually care...?
I think they're good fun. Controversially, I'd like to see a bigger, ticketed evening event at the end of the year, similar awards layout, guest speakers with some exclusive reveals for the year ahead from attending attractions, maybe a charity auction of experiences/memorabilia to celebrate the Attraction industry.

When I was in the industry, I worked with many people who would have loved something like this, myself included! We had site specific ball type events but nothing industry-wide as far as I'm aware. Completely understand why some people don't care though but personally, I love to see something I enjoy celebrated 🥰

To be honest Nemmy will probably stand more chance of winning Best Marketing Campaign next year, when she's back open. She'll be eligible for Best Reimagined Attraction then as well.

In a similar manner to this years golden ticket awards it's certainly interesting that the best theme park winner also happened to host the event.

Most egregious thing I spotted was an Alton Towers aramark venue somehow finishing 2nd for best food.

In a similar manner to this years golden ticket awards it's certainly interesting that the best theme park winner also happened to host the event.

Most egregious thing I spotted was an Alton Towers aramark venue somehow finishing 2nd for best food.

‘Interesting’ how Chessington seemingly only came third in the family theme park category but also won best UK park?

Given they are squarely a family theme park that doesn’t seem to add up to me.

I thought it was funny that Digital Dan won the award for Best Content Creator over TPWW.

Shawn has literally been hauling his himself across the world to all manner of parks and putting out great content. To be fair though, Dan was part of the all day Hero riding evening which was pretty epic and for a great cause but I doubt that he won the award because of that.
I'd also argue that the quality of DD's videos is higher. Sometimes his editing style can drive me up the wall, but everything is concise, relatively thought out and without too much repetition, which is impressive when you consider age, experience and much lower access to content resources (no major long trips abroad, fewer connections). Over at TPWW it feels as though Shaun doesn't actually cut out anything he films throughout the day. Each video is more than 30 mins, with vast amounts of repetition and nothing terribly insightful. I can't fault TPWW for their ambitions, but I do feel as though their content style has fallen somewhat out of favour and that they've failed to adapt, but I suppose his numbers report differently.
--
Some of the sponsors for the categories were awfully amusing too. Funny how all of the parks that won prizes in "Best Food" sell Rollover hot dogs, who just so happen to sponsor the category. Although, having said that, isn't it an open public vote?

It's all harmless fun though and it gives people something to aim for year after year. It's also good for an industry to have internal recognition, a chance for people to say a job well done.

I'd also argue that the quality of DD's videos is higher. Sometimes his editing style can drive me up the wall, but everything is concise, relatively thought out and without too much repetition, which is impressive when you consider age, experience and much lower access to content resources (no major long trips abroad, fewer connections). Over at TPWW it feels as though Shaun doesn't actually cut out anything he films throughout the day. Each video is more than 30 mins, with vast amounts of repetition and nothing terribly insightful. I can't fault TPWW for their ambitions, but I do feel as though their content style has fallen somewhat out of favour and that they've failed to adapt, but I suppose his numbers report differently.
--
Some of the sponsors for the categories were awfully amusing too. Funny how all of the parks that won prizes in "Best Food" sell Rollover hot dogs, who just so happen to sponsor the category. Although, having said that, isn't it an open public vote?

It's all harmless fun though and it gives people something to aim for year after year. It's also good for an industry to have internal recognition, a chance for people to say a job well done.
It's a public vote but also has a panel of judges whose votes are combined with the public ones.

Very strange winners in some categories. Apart from World of Jumanji I think Chessington’s offerings this year have been far worse than last. Happy to see Alton win barely anything as it’s been a woeful year for them overall.