• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Unexplored Alton Towers

Magrathea said:
jmc said:
I don't believe the lesser known areas of the grounds such as Ina's rock are strictly out of bounds, I just think they are off the 'official' paths?

Several years ago only by chance I found myself in an area of the Towers used for storage. I didn't realise I was heading into an area not meant for park guests as the gate was open at the time. In one room there were lots of old records from the hotels, with old exit passes for RMT and Rapids strewn accross the floor. There was another room with large dolls and characters, and even old signage for Energizer.

I may be wrong but I think this is the area used for The Sanctuary.

Yeah sounds like you found your way into the West Wing, there are various rooms over there which would've had stuff like that lying around in (although mostly now cleared up to make room for the fabulous Sanctuary).

Tut to whoever had left a door open though!

It was a fun experience that has stuck in my mind! I remember it was a stable gate at the time so wasnt particularly secure anyway, but this seems to have since changed to a full length gate.

I have heard there is an area close to the overspill car parks which has some unusual things stored there, such as slate tiles and stone boxes. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I'm pretty sure at least one is a house or something as I remember looking out of the car window as we left Splash last season.

Remember though that wooden sheds seemed to be the shipping container of the Tussauds era! The resort has loads of them scattered around :p

Back in the 2011 season me and a mate took a wonder near the disused toilets and found bits of pottery and very old Henry Hound cups. Its deffiently something everyone should have a look at when the parks at its busy periods.
The only problem is climbing up the muddy slanted hills :p

Has anyone been in it or is it all boarded up? It'd be interesting to know if they use it as storage or whatever. :)

BigAl said:
Has anyone been in it or is it all boarded up? It'd be interesting to know if they use it as storage or whatever. :)

Think it is derelict, the grounds within the farm-house garden walls was the original location for the boiler house marquee.

DiogoJ42 said:
Like I keep saying, they need an adult only bar, away from the loud music. Somewhere you can relax and have a civilized pint at the the end of the day.
A proper "old man's pub" with a selection of real ales that no one has ever heard of, no music, and a strict no under 21s allowed within 50 feet of the door policy.

Perhaps this old farmhouse could be the solution? The Alton Towers Arms, perhaps? :p

BigAl said:
DiogoJ42 said:
Like I keep saying, they need an adult only bar, away from the loud music. Somewhere you can relax and have a civilized pint at the the end of the day.
A proper "old man's pub" with a selection of real ales that no one has ever heard of, no music, and a strict no under 21s allowed within 50 feet of the door policy.

Perhaps this old farmhouse could be the solution? The Alton Towers Arms, perhaps? :p

Blacksmiths in Alton village to be honest, lovely little cosy place!

DiogoJ42 said:
Rowe said:
Blacksmiths in Alton village to be honest, lovely little cosy place!

Hardly on resort though, is it? ;)

I just wanted to mention it! :p But a pub on resort would be great, Courtyard Tavern had the potential to become one. Shame there aren't any unused buildings in the area to turn into one!

The little walk would sober you back up! It's not massively out the way though maybe bring some horse and carts in?

Few other pubs that are even closer. Such a shame that the Earl of Shrewsbury pub closed and now seems to be turning into some youth club.

Might sounds stupid, but...

What part of the towers are actually open to the public, and how do you access them? How do you get up to the flag tower? Is it by Hex or the passage way near behind Oblivion (as you are leaving X Sector heading towards the towers)? Also whereabouts is the Swiss Cottage in the gardens?

Im with you on the towers - I would like to know too..

Re the Swiss cottage, if you turn left just before the towers follow the path for about 100 yards and you will reach it.

IF you are walking up to hex, from the lawns, just before you go under the archway (that goes up to hex & DF), that is where you turn left. You can actually see on on Google street view.

Its on the bank of the valley with its back facing dark forest. You can see it clearly from the skyride going towards DF station from FV.

Lastly, could someone enlighten me where the shortcut from DF to Xsector is please. ( though the towers I imagine, ) I've tried to find it a few times now. Does it come out through the servants tunnel (xsector side)?

EDIT - pictures say 1000 words & all that...

SwissCottage.jpg