• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

It looks just like spiderman, the ride cars look the same just differently painted. But Spiderman is a great ride so I think this one will be as well.

I hope I can go back to Florida again soon!

Screamscape have more Jurassic Park news! :D

???? - New Jurassic Park Improvements / Attractions - Rumor - (6/24/13) Possible good news for those Jurassic Park attraction rumors… Universal Studios has revealed that Jurassic Park 4 is now back on track and will now hit theaters sometime in 2015 instead of June 2014.
According to numerous Hollywood rumor sites, the storyline for the new film may see all the action take place back on the original Isla Nublar site once again, but time-jumped ahead to the year 2015 where John Hammond’s vision for a dinosaur theme park has been perfected and become a major global attraction that hosts 10 million guests each year to the island to see real life dinosaurs in a perfectly safe and worry free environment.
Until in true classic theme park attraction fashion… something goes horribly wrong. From the early buzz it seems that the movie will feature a return of the popular Raptors and T-Rex from the first film series, though the Raptors are rumored to have been domesticated, de-clawed, and muzzled in the interest of guest safety they, “spared no expense.”
They also promise all new dinosaurs the likes of which we have never seen, including a possible encounter with a massive underwater beast of dino similar to a Kronosaurus used as part of an underwater theme park exhibit. Just imagine coming face to face with this monster, with only a few inches of plexiglass between you… followed by cracking glass, gushing water and a lot of screaming. Sounds perfect for a theme park attraction, doesn’t it?
Again… no new rumors about what we might see as far as actual in-park theme park attractions just yet… the above is only my own fun thinking based on the rumors about the plot of the new film. But a new JP film can only be good news for adding a mega new attraction to Islands of Adventure in the future, so stay tuned!

From what I've been hearing, Universal are pretty keen to make Jurassic Park have a rather large impact. After the experience the resort has had with WWOHP, they've realised that the best route to go down is highly themed area, with themed shops and restaurants, with various attractions dotted around. So i'd suspect expansion to the Jurassic ark area would mostly involve new restaurants and shops.

There's two sites that it's rumoured major expansion will be built on. These being the site of the Old Triceratops encounter, and the expansion lot behind Thunder Falls Terrace. I've got a feeling that they'll build an Amber Mine rollercoaster behind Thunder Falls.

Original rumours for the area also included a dark ride, themed to the ride to introduce the park and it's scientific facilities, as seen in JP 1. This would have been built in an extension to the discovery centre. Seemingly these plans got scrapped, but with the theme for Jurassic Park 4 out, I think that the extension to the discovery centre is still likely, but now to house a dark ride about the underwater creatures. Perhaps using a similar ride system to Atlantis.

A version of Atlantis with a giant see monster attacking the subs at the end...

Now that sounds like a good idea! Heck if pulled off correctly that could be so scary. Imagine a proper aquarium to begin with (using real fish but bizarre ones of course to play on the theme) then suddenly sub attack. No one would see it coming.

Quetzal said:
Original rumours for the area also included a dark ride, themed to the ride to introduce the park and it's scientific facilities, as seen in JP 1. This would have been built in an extension to the discovery centre.

I'm actually quite surprised it wasn't done in the first place. Providing it still has Mr DNA, I'd welcome it :)

Taken from a highly regarded source on Orlando United:

Lets get right into it shall we! Enjoy!!

Here is another edition of Words of Hatetofly

Good Evening, my family and friends! It's time yet again to take a stroll with me around Universal Orlando tonight as we discuss the past, present, and the future of my favorite resort. I would like to start off in saying thank you to the members here at Orlando United. We truly appreciate all that you do and look forward to our adventures together in the future. I also want to point out that everything I say is speculation based on information from anonymous sources. Everything is strictly on a no-name basis and I have no inside knowledge and never have

We will begin our tour around the resort in reference to an attraction that has had numerous problems in the past. So many problems, in fact, that they actually never had a grand opening ceremony. The Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster has had issues since day 1. While the main issues were all programming related in the beginning, one issue slowly began to take form under the trains chassis. The trains wheels were wearing down much to fast and lead to a rather rough ride on several of the trains. For those who may not know it was due to the extreme torque of the circuit most notably the non inverting loop. Well a few months ago I reported that a new company won a bid and was set to begin train refurbishments starting in the Summer and going through the fall. Well I am happy to announce that the first train with a completely new chassis structure is in the bays and will soon begin to give riders a new smooth ride. The feedback so far from those lucky enough to ride it after hours say its an overwhelming positive change. The next train is now going under the knife and the entire fleet overhaul should take another 45-60 days. Oh and Rockit fans, not only are you getting a more comfortable ride but your also getting some new tunes as well.

As we continue our tour, we happen to see a vast amount of structures popping up from the Wizarding World Diagon Alley Construction site. The largest of these structures will house a Gringotts themed rollercoaster experience based off of the sequence in the Deathly Hallows 2. The attraction itself will be the flagship of the Universal dark ride line up. Its ride system alone is so advanced several major companies are involved in its installation and execution. Premier and Vekoma are already on site working on a system that will incorporate flight simulation, live effects, animatronics, 4K3DHD Screens, and sudden drops, “tilts”, and acceleration. The massive interior sets will incorporate “portals” or screens that will blend into massive cliffs and rockwork. Some interior rock work will be approaching 5 stories in height inside the Gringotts show rooms. Including sub sections for scenes there are 14 total zones within this attraction with scenes 8 and 9 being two of the largest and most complicated scenes created. The dragon is something else…

As we pass through Springfield USA (Yes were passing through, I mean what else can I give you? ) Well I take that back. Lets just hope they didn’t cut effects like the spill, choking, and blinky to name a few when they increased the budget again for the faux brick work in Duff Gardens. As I enjoy the full bar at Duff and eat fresh finger foods like Nachos, Twister Taters, and Potato Skins I find myself looking at two gentlemen goofing off with cameras and some serious computer equipment. Seems they have found a way to turn guests into Simpsons and offer that picture up for sale on several forms of merchandise. I couldn’t help but take a look at how I might look Simpsonized. The photo was very impressive and I had to have a mug to pour my beer into as we continue our tour.

With Springfield in our rear view mirror we come across a very sad and lonely Kidszone. The area itself is well into the planning phases of a TOTAL overlay and remodel. Soon the first signs of change will be obvious as the only water ride in all of the Studios prepares to be dismantled first. The slide in Fievals Playland is on the chopping block first, why you ask and for what? Well that my friends will have to wait for another day. Skipping past Curious Georges water wasteland we come across some very ghoulish interior decorators who are well underway constructing attractions for my personal favorite event Halloween Horror Nights. This year will be another one that is following the use of IP involvement. Of the eight haunts this year, many will involve an IP. The house lineup is Havoc 2, Resident Evil, Walking Dead 2, Grimm: La Llorona, Cabin in the Woods, The Evil Dead, Legendary Truth, and American Psycho. All of houses will be located in there normal spots with one spot possibly being its last year in use as a haunt location. Why you ask? Well future construction of course.

The next Universal Studios attraction has been green lit and be labeled as Project 301. The project has been well underway with iTEC for months and will involve the removal of Disaster. For years Universal visitors have enjoyed this updated yet classic attraction. During its tenure we have seen many of the parks most iconic attractions be removed in order to make way for the next big thing. Well this time it’s a little different as were removing a classic in order to bring back a classic. I am pleased to announce the big man is coming back to Universal Orlando.

King Kong will be replacing Disaster in an effort to completely rebrand the entire park. This custom creation for Orlando will bring the banana breath himself back to the studios in an entirely new way. With a new queue, new preshows, a new RV, a new station, new track, and custom show scenes complete with Kong in the flesh. This attraction is certain to bring some of that classic nostalgia into the park so many say have been lost. This new mega attraction is set to break loose Summer 2015. During that same summer, Islands of Adventure will unleash its updated Jurassic Park area with a brand new E ticket attraction as well.

I hope you have all enjoyed reading this as much as I have sharing it. I really need the help promoting this website and all of the cool info we share here. I would love to see this shared on other sites and forums but please give credit where credit is due. If you see its not, call them out via Twitter, Facebook, the forums and so on. Orlando United is the premier Universal fan site and its about time it gets credit for it. Last, but not least, I would like everyone to keep one of our fellow members Izzy in their thoughts and prayers as she recently lost her son Johnny. Izzy, I will say a prayer for Johnny tonight and I hope you can find comfort in knowing he’s in a better place waiting to see his mother again. Thank You everyone, Good Night…

The Gringotts coaster sounds as though it will be something else. Genuinely can't wait to get back to Orlando and ride that when it's open.

Everything that Universal are doing at the moment just sounds incredible. The Gringgotts coaster does indeed sound like it is something else. It's very exciting if both Vekoma and Premier are working on it.

:)

This sounds very exciting! I need to get back to Orlando soon - 11 years since I've been there is WAY too long! :p

I. Gotta. Get. Myself. To. Orlando.

Everything they're doing at Universal parks sound out of this world and that Gringotts coaster sounds absolutely unbelievable and sounds like it will blow Forbidden Journey out of the water with ease!

You wouldn't get UK parks investing like this, even if Universal do have quite a bit more money than some parks in the UK... :(

This all just goes to show how much money they have made on Harry Potter. Exciting times!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Wilsy said:
This all just goes to show how much money they have made on Harry Potter. Exciting times!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Why can't they make some more money from it and build a park in the UK too then? ;)
It means more theme parks for us, more competition for Merlin so they will build better quality rides, and more money for Universal. It's a win win win situation really!

Screamscape have reported that Universal Orlando have purchased the land that Wet 'n' Wild was built on, as well as the possibility of the NBA City Restaurant on City Walk becoming a WWE Hall of Fame.

They also had this to say about the Kang and Kodos ride being built:
...According to what I learned from Universal on a tour of the site, the ride will actually have some interactive fun elements for the riders. While you spin Kodos will talk to you during your ride (or perhaps taunt you “Foolish Earthlings!”) meanwhile there will be large tentacles around the outside of the ride area where you are tasked to fly up or down towards some kind of target. Break the sensor beam and trigger some kind of special event.
One of their readers also sent in a picture of the progress being made on the Kang and Kodos ride.

So what are we up to now?

• Diagon Alley for the Studios
  • Springfield for the Studios
  • Return of King Kong to the Studios
  • Transformers for the Studios
  • A new hotel for the Resort in the form of Cabana Bay
  • City Walk improvements and changes
  • Huge Jurassic Park expansion for IoA
  • Seuss Landing expansion in a year or two
  • A fully owned Wet 'n' Wild water park
  • Plans for a third theme park
  • The E.T. upgrade that Danny just mentioned
  • The imminent retheme or replacement of Terminator 2 in the Studios

And let's not forget the other possibilities, such as the potential retheme/replacement of attractions such as Lucy - A Tribute, Fear Factor Live, Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue, The Blues Brothers Show, Animal Actors On Location! and Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular show (they can't celebrate 100 years of movie memories forever :p ). They also have the stage/arena by the side of Spiderman over in IoA to use for something, and there are plans to retheme or replace Toon Lagoon and/or Lost Continent in IoA too!

Wow! :p

I'd be interested to know what they would rather Toon Lagoon to. Despite looking fantastic, I've never thought of it to be the best theme as I have no idea of any of the comics represented aside from Popeye. In fact, of all the themes at Universal, overall it's the one with the least worldwide appeal.

I could actually imagine it to be rethemed to a Mario theme. Being serious, they could easily replace a lot of the scenes from Dudley Do-Right with Mario characters - Mario instead of Dudley, Bowser instead of Snidely Whiplash, Peach instead of Nell Fenwick and Yoshi could replace Horse the horse. Bilge Rat Barges could also be given a Donkey Kong jungle theme. Highly unlikely this would happen, but it would be easy enough to pull off. It would also fill in a niche unseen in any of the Florida theme parks - that of a video game themed area. Considering Mario is one of the most recognisable characters on the planet, it would definately have appeal.

BigAl said:
Same here. I really loved Toon Lagoon and as much as it'd be sad to see it go, I can't help but wonder what it is they'd retheme it as?

As for a Mario themed area, Universal don't exactly get on with Nintendo! :p

Whilst that case will have left a bad sting in Universals side, I'm sure that 30 years later they won't be against Nintendo too much. After all, since then gaming has took off in a huge way, with many Universal properties appearing on Nintendo machines. I'm not plugging for a Mario theme just because I'm a huge Nintendo fan girl, but because I think it can keep the same feel of the area, with a world famous IP that more and more people can relate to. Parents who are taking kids to Universal are reaching the age where they'd have grown up with Mario. His appeal will only get broader.

I was thinking more about how the theme could be implemented. The big shack where the drop for Dudley Do-Right is? That could easily be rethemed to a castle - Bowser's or Peach's.

As much as I love the colourful aesthetics of Toon Lagoon, with the exception of Popeye very few of these characters are known outside of the USA. Especially as Universal love to have only relevant IPs (heck, they even considered Jaws, King Kong, Ghostbusters and Back To The Future to be not that relevant, despite being iconic films), I find it weird that the theme was even green lit in the first place. I had no idea who Dudley Do-Right even was until I'd visited. I'd go so far as to say the only two internationally known cartoons represented are Popeye and Betty Boop. And even with them, they haven't exactly done anything memorable in decades. Don't get me wrong, it's been done very well, but out of everything at the Universal Resort it was the one theme (excluding Lost Continent, which isn't based on an IP) that made me wonder just who these characters are. I'm sure there will even be some Americans thinking the same.

Chances are a rethemed to Toon Lagoon will come after Lost Continent, however. But personally, what with rumours of Sinbad being scrapped in favour of a Grinch ride, I can see the entire area going, not to be replaced with anything. It lost its signature ride with the arrival of Hogwarts. It might be better to merge what's left with Harry Potter and Seuss Landing, unless they don't go ahead with the Grinch ride and they have more room than expected.

From what I understand any planned retheme of toon lagoon is a fair way off yet and likely to be one of the last proposed projects. Their has been a rumour recently it will be themed to lord of the rings as universal were in talks over the theme park rights to the IP.

The plan at the min is the refresh of the studios park, the next big thing planned for IOA was always expected to be the retheme of LC but a new E-Ticket ride is now apparently in development for Jurassic Park and jumped ahead of a LC retheme, and rumoured to open in 2015 to go long with Jurassic park 4 which has now been confirmed as a summer 2015 opening. Anything else in IOA likely to be 2017 onwards.

Apart from the Jurassic ride, I understand universal want to refresh the kids area and disaster in the 2015-2016 years at the studios before anything more gets done at IOA.