• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Construction is coming along nicely:

BGXrJOGCEAEWSPI.jpg

BGXezmYCUAAiWnK.jpg

BGXfTCZCAAAyCdZ.jpg

And even a nod to Jaws via Universal Screenplay:

BGXly81CQAE1fU1.jpg

Lots of Universal Orlando updates from Screamscape here!

First up is some news regarding the survey crews spotted in the Jurassic Park area in IoA:

General Park News - (4/2/13) Remember that twitter photo of the survey crew in the Jurassic Park area spotted a couple of weeks ago? The actual photo location has been nailed down, and it isn’t next to Thunder Terrace as I had guessed, but it actually to the right of the ride’s entrance not far away from the Pizza Predatoria restaurant. This means that the surveyors were looking in the direction of the JP ride entrance, and in fact, there are now blue markers nailed down into the ground in that very area from what I’m told.

Now across to the Studios park for a Transformers update:

2013 - Transformers The Ride: 3-D - (4/2/13) A reader sends in a couple of new pictures of the Transformer building today, one showing off what appears to be a bit of the outdoor queue area and the other showing off what may likely be the attraction’s entrance door.

db_2013_0402_TransformersDoors11.jpg

db_2013_0402_TransformersDoors21.jpg

And finally, some Resort news:

2014 - Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort - Under Construction - (4/1/13) If there was any doubt, Orlando’s City Council voted and gave final approval for the $9 million in funding for improvements around Universal Orlando, including the new pedestrian bridge going in near the new hotel. There is a nice piece of artwork showing off what it will look like here as well.

The concept image in question:
pedestrian-flyover-1b*600.jpg

That last photo reminds me of covered bridges over the motorway at service stations, like Corley on the M6 and Fleet on the M3. :p

Apparently there may be a soft opening for Transformers late in April but that's yet to be confirmed.

Someone has sent in a new of photo to Screamscape of the construction of the Hogwarts Express attraction...

2014 - Wizarding World / Hogwarts Express - (4/10/13) An anonymous source has sent in a new picture showing off our first look at a section of the track installed for the new Hogwarts Express that will run from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure over to the new London / Ministry of Magic area at the Studios.

db_2013_0410_HogwartsExpressTrack1.jpg

Also, Orlando Theme Park News have taken a load of photos in the Studios side of Universal Orlando. Click here to view them.

A video of Universal Orlando's Augmented Reality App has been posted to Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwUNtAMykLE#ws

It looks pretty good! I like the fact that they've done it for the old attractions and films rather than having it just for new attractions.

There's also news from Screamscape about a possible opening date for Transformers too:
2013 - Transformers The Ride: 3-D - (4/15/13) Wild Rumor time… I don’t know how valid this is but according to a Universal Orlando visitor, a cast member staffed outside the Transformers ride area was telling the guests passing by that the ride would have a grand opening on Friday, June 21st. Don’t buy your tickets just yet, but if all the other rumors are true, that does sound like a fairly safe bet for it to open by… if not a “soft opening” weeks before that.

Sounds unlikely but Screamscape has come across a few rumours that Universal Orlando may be planning a third park for 2018:

General Resort News - (4/23/13) I’m not quite sure who is spreading the rumor that Universal Orlando is planning a 3rd park by 2018 but it certainly hasn’t been me. To be honest, not only has this rumor not even touched my keyboard, but it hasn’t even passed within a whisper of my ever-listening ears, or those of the Screamscape Spy-Network.
So right now, much like the fellow at the Orlando Business Journal, I’m not buying into this rumor either. The only new ‘park’ I’ve been talking about Universal Orlando looking into building for several years now is to build their very own themed waterpark, which will serve as a replacement for Wet ‘n Wild when the lease eventually runs out on that property.
By contrast, my inbox has been full of nothing but huge rumors for all new attractions and mega-investments into Universal Orlando’s existing two theme parks… and nothing at all about a new 3rd mega park. Now… I’m not saying that a 3rd park is impossible… it just isn’t in the cards right now.
Once upon a time it was, back when Universal was owned by Seagram’s and they bought up that huge piece of property that the new convention center building sits on that ran from there all the way down almost to John Young Parkway that is now home to the Rosen Shingle Creek resort, golf courses, a Westin hotel and more. Back before Vivendi bought Universal from Seagram’s and sold off all this valuable property, THIS was supposed to be the future site for Universal expansion projects for years to come. They planned golf courses, new resort hotels, a new mega theme park (maybe two) as well as an all new waterpark experience. Unfortunately, none of it ever saw the light of day when Vivendi sold the property off piece-meal to anyone who opened their checkbook because they were in such a poor financial state.

Finally, a bit of Hogwarts Express news:

2014 - Wizarding World / Hogwarts Express - (4/23/13) It has been awhile since we’ve heard much of anything about the “show” that will take place within the Hogwarts Express train ride between the parks. Previous rumors had suggested that there would be different possible shows run to keep the experience fresh, and now I’ve heard that there may be at least 6 different possible show experiences you’ll encounter at random.

Orlando Parks News has a big photo update of everything happening in the Studios side of Universal Orlando. The moving Megatron robot looks great, it's just a shame he's so small. :p

Screamscape have put up more images of the construction of the Hogwarts Express and some other details here. They've also got news on names being trademarked by Universal here.

I know everyone will be bouncing around about The Smiler opening date having just been revealed, but Universal have just done a press release for the expansion of WWOHP:

262406_10151439493417852_2138809564_n.jpg

Building on the global phenomenon that is The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Universal Orlando Resort and Warner Bros. Entertainment today announced an expansion of historic proportion with the entirely new themed environment, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley.
Scheduled to open in 2014, the world’s first centrally themed, multi-park experience expands The Wizarding World of Harry Potter across both Universal Orlando theme parks and allows Universal’s creative team to bring an unparalleled vision to this unique project. The new area will bring to life some of the experiences and places found in and around London in the Harry Potter books and films, offering brand-new adventures for fans and theme park guests from around the world.

Diagon Alley and ‘London’ will be located within the Universal Studios Florida theme park, which is adjacent to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park, where guests now experience Hogwarts and Hogsmeade. The new area within Universal Studios will be just as expansive, immersive and authentic as the existing themed environment.

And – just like in the books and films – guests will be able to travel between ‘London’ and Hogsmeade aboard the Hogwarts Express.

Work on the new area is already underway. When complete, it will feature shops, a restaurant and an innovative, marquee attraction based on Gringotts bank – all directly inspired by the fiction and films.

More details on The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley will be released over time.

Screamscape is reporting that the Jurassic Park ideas for next year may already be on-hold:
???? - New Jurassic Park Attraction - Rumor - (5/11/13) I’m not sure what effect this may have on those rumored new Jurassic Park attractions, but according to this news report the release of Jurassic Park 4 has been delayed or put on temporary hold for some retooling. Various side reports claim they may have been some creative differences between some of the crew and the studio as well that led to the move. Universal has yet to commit to a new release date at this time, but you can consider the June 2014 date scrapped for now. The good news, from a theme park side of things, is if the movie is delayed until 2015 or later, this will give Universal a chance to try and open a new Jurassic Park themed attraction at about the same time that the new film hits the theaters.

Screamscape have also reported on the Wizarding World announcement here as well. Glad to hear that Diagon Alley is getting an Olivander's as that is where it was in the books. However, the one over in Hogsmeade will remain there to ease the queues and to apparently let people who may only visit one side still have the chance to experience an Olivander's.

Screamscape said:
???? - Tolkien’s Middle-Earth - Rusaurontowermor - (5/13/13) Add this to the juicy rumor mill for long term plans, but I’ve heard from one source that we could see Toon Lagoon come to an end in 2017 as Universal may be looking at redeveloping the entire land into an all new themed area. It’s too early to speculate very much about if existing rides would be rethemed or scrapped, or what exactly may replace it… but for some reason those rumors about the rise of Middle Earth just have not gone away. I’ll just keep my ear to ground for now… as I’m sure we wont see any kind of development or movement on this front until after the Wizarding World expansion work comes to an end in 2014.

Universal just released this concept art.

65621_10151462094232852_1376190600_n.jpg

Springfield is coming to Universal Orlando Resort! An all-new Simpsons-themed area will open at Universal Studios Florida this summer – allowing guests to step into the world of The Simpsons like never before.

It will be the only place in the world where you can walk the streets of Springfield, grab a Krusty-certified meat sandwich at Krusty Burger, go nuts for donuts at Lard Lad, imbibe at Moe’s Tavern and more! Plus there will be Duff Beer – brewed exclusively for Universal Orlando - and a new attraction called Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl that will take you “foolish humans” on an intergalactic spin designed to send you into orbit!

Looks awesome!

I really hope this is finished in 2 months, 2 weeks and 3 days, in time for me to enjoy a Krusty burger with Duff beer chaser! ;D