• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

I thought I'd missed something then, but it seems to have been shut and left there. According to a few articles it has now been removed. I guess this would be a good spot for the Jeep ride and the area behind Thunder Falls Terrace could become home to the rumoured 'Bird Cage' (JP3) and the supposed B&M Pterodactyl flying wing coaster concept (extended flying coaster for more freedom?) thing. :p

Edit: This is a video of the Triceratops encounter after it closed...

Jurassic Park Hidden Trail - ABANDONED Triceratops Encounter

It actually does resemble an abandoned facility on Isla Sorna! :p

Just saying, Wizarding World was featured on the 2010 edition of The Celebrity Apprentice and the many colourful candidates had to create a 3D experience for the area. The episode is available until the 22nd and Universal itself kicks in at 21:30.

The editing is absolutely terrible, mind, and Donald Trump even more so I suggest caution in watching the episode because of ample cringe :p

The following was posted on TPR:

Amber Mine Rollercoaster – This small-scale family coaster is said to be a themed run-away mine cart ride through detailed Amber Mines. The targeted height minimum is between 36 and 40 inches; so it will be a ride that most families can enjoy together. And while GCI Coasters met with Universal Creative earlier last year, we are told now that the Gravity Group has been contacted to build this attraction.

Discovery Center Dark Ride – This slow moving dark ride would load inside the Jurassic Park Discovery Center where the labs currently reside. Rumored scenes include the DNA Scene from Jurassic Park the movie, detailed lab scenes, a dinosaur egg hatching, as well as a tour through dinosaurs that are in containment (including Velociraptor AA’s). The ride itself would unload close to the new Amber Mine Coaster.

Camp Jurassic – This popular kids playground would be expanded and given numerous upgrades, including special effects and “live dinosaurs” within the grounds.

Jurassic Park River Adventure – The headline attraction of Jurassic Park would receive a major refurb including new effects and AA replacements.

Numerous new food and beverage outlets – There is no new sit down restaurant planned in this expansion. All new unique offerings will come via themed food stands.

Triceratops Encounter – This old beauty will be leveled to make room for the future additions mentioned above. While most of the work will indeed take place on this site, make no mistake the island will be getting a lot of attention before re-opening.

Well there you have it folks! This is the rumored expansion that is currently scheduled to open in Summer 2014. On top of that, Universal just announced that Jurassic Park 4 would also hit theaters in Summer 2014.

If true they must have sorted all this out while the Potterville USA obsessed staff were off sick.

Great update, but please stop saying Potterville USA! :p The Harry Potter area is great and all of these other things happening at the park prove that Universal don't just do Potter things.

:)

I think Potterville USA is a very apt name. It's Potter related, it is a small area rammed full of overpriced shops (like a village) and it doesn't belong where it is (like Disneyland Paris' Main Street USA)

So if you don't like it because it's not supposed to be in the US, just like Main Street USA isn't supposed to be in Paris, does that mean that you dislike all of Europa, Chessington and Phantasialand, etc...? :p

Also, pretty much all major theme parks and visitor attractions are guilty of having overpriced stores and merchandise. It's not confined to this one area at IoA. Surely you should be constantly pointing your finger at all parks because of this, not just Wizarding World at IoA?

Dunno how Main Street USA doesn't fit into Disney Paris... By that logic it defo shouldn't be in Japan or Hong Kong...

BigAl said:
So if you don't like it because it's not supposed to be in the US, just like Main Street USA isn't supposed to be in Paris, does that mean that you dislike all of Europa, Chessington and Phantasialand, etc...? :p

Also, pretty much all major theme parks and visitor attractions are guilty of having overpriced stores and merchandise. It's not confined to this one area at IoA. Surely you should be constantly pointing your finger at all parks because of this, not just Wizarding World at IoA?
I was thinking more along the lines of it being a winter British scene in the middle of one of the most consistently warm places in the world that doesn't see snow outside of Sea World's Arctic exhibits. The architecture and design of Main Street USA doesn't fit a French themepark, hence why it needed the USA tagline put at the end of it, as it has elsewhere in Disney parks across the globe.

You can count on one hand the number of themeparks that have an area within them with as many shops in it as Potterville has and even less that try and sell them as "an experience".

Moley said:
BigAl said:

I was thinking more along the lines of it being a winter British scene in the middle of one of the most consistently warm places in the world that doesn't see snow outside of Sea World's Arctic exhibits.

Blizzard Beach?

I don't think theme parks can go off weather for everything. It certainly helps to dictate water rides and how wet people get on them, but it'd be very limiting to think like that.

Also, I count Honeydukes/Zonko's, Olivanders, Owl Post and Dervish and Banges. A few believe that Olivanders is moving to Diagon Alley where it should be, so that leaves three.

You could also count the exit store for Forbidden Journey if you want to be picky, but Three Broomsticks is a restaurant so you can't have a go at that.

I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with it. It'd be pointless and a wasted opportunity if they just made Hogsmeade a walk-through as it'd be a little lifeless, so adding some shops themed to those in the books makes perfect sense.

Moley said:
I was thinking more along the lines of it being a winter British scene in the middle of one of the most consistently warm places in the world that doesn't see snow outside of Sea World's Arctic exhibits.
The ironic thing is they made exactly the same mistake with the snow in the finale Harry Potter movie. For some bizarre reason the people designing these Harry Potter related projects believe Hogsmeade is a snowy village because in the books they visit it a few times at Christmas. So whenever characters go there in the films it always looks snowy even if it's Spring or Summer time everywhere else.

I guess it must be magic... or lazy story telling

Tim said:
Moley said:
The ironic thing is they made exactly the same mistake with the snow in the finale Harry Potter movie. For some bizarre reason the people designing these Harry Potter related projects believe Hogsmeade is a snowy village because in the books they visit it a few times at Christmas. So whenever characters go there in the films it always looks snowy even if it's Spring or Summer time everywhere else.

I guess it must be magic... or lazy story telling

That's true actually although I believe the snow makes for a better cinematic effect - it also comes to represent Hogsmeade. Seeing a normal village would not trigger the link in your mind after seeing it in PoA.

Benzin said:
Dunno how Main Street USA doesn't fit into Disney Paris... By that logic it defo shouldn't be in Japan or Hong Kong...

Just aswell Japan has the World Bazaar and no Main Street then ;)
Also, Shanghai is getting 'Mickey Avenue' as its entrance area instead of the US equivalent.

Different name, and aside from a roof, is exactly the same looks wise...

tokyodisneyland_007.jpg

tokyodisneyland_006.jpg

TPR Photo

When it rains, it rains hard... Kinda similar to the two passageways either side of Paris' Main Street which were put in due to concerns over poor weather...

It does look daft though...

Universal Studios Singapore has the same thing over their New York area:

photo-new-york-city-universal-studios-singapore-29143-xl.jpg

New_York_Universal_Studios_Singapore.jpg

I just think the huge metal beaming looks a bit cumbersome - surely they could have gone for a cleaner less support ridden structure?