• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Universal Orlando (Studios/IOA/Epic Universe) : General Discussion

Universal's spending is spot-on right now, and proves many people's opinion that if you spend lots of money you will get increased revenue coming in.

The amount of investment in the Florida parks alone in the last few years is insane.

They might be doing well now, but they seemingly have little room for expansion, no room for a third park on their current site. Disney down the road have room for a fifth, a sixth, a seventh etc etc...

Time to throw a pointless and crazy idea out there again!

Though it's highly unlikely, there's a huge chunk of land just 2 miles down Universal Boulevard that, assuming it's for sale and Universal want/need another park or two, could be turned into a new Universal Orlando Resort.

I think it was Tim that said that Disney could do LotR better due to the amount of space they have. Universal could create a 'Middle Earth' theme park easily with the amount of land that's available.

That whole area is currently just a load of dirt, what looks like a small junkyard (or dumping ground? :p ) and a few small roads that go to nowhere, so a new theme park would look much better imo. ;) :p It's still near to Universal and a load of hotels and villas, etc...

Edit: We'd also get to keep Toon Lagoon! :D Also, this is the area I'm talking about...
Google Maps

Universal seem to be throwing out concepts for new attractions left, right and center these days. They've obviously been given a lot of money to spend, but I doubt they'd be looking at this King Kong ride, Middle Earth, or a new park as a medium term solution.

Lots of news from Screamscape regarding Universal has come up over the past few days:

(2/19/13) I’m told that the mystery construction project next to NBA City is supposed to be for a set of ticket kiosks, similar to the ones installed over at the Studios.

2014/2015 - PotterVerse: London / Project 722 - (2/19/13) One of our readers snapped off a nice shot of the Gringott’s building, as seen from the employee parking lot. I tried to zoom in a little and lighten it up a little, but you still can’t see a whole lot inside the building area.
db_2013_0219_Gringotts1.jpg

db_2012_0305_LondonLayoutMap1.jpg

db_2012_0213_HogwartsExpressRouteMap1.jpg

2014 - Wizarding World Expansion Link - (2/19/13) According to Screamscape sources, my one speculation yesterday seems like it will be the truth, as the Hogwarts Express may indeed be a pair of side-by-side railways, instead of a single rail with a bypass in the middle. I’m told that the way the supports enter into the London side of the project looks the same as the Wizarding World side.

(2/18/13) Some great POV stills shot from the Fire side of Dragon Challenge show off the construction of the new Hogwarts Express station at Islands of Adventure. Click here to make the jump over to OrlandoUnited. Based on the supports I can see going up in the station building area, I do have to wonder if I’m looking at a structure designed to hold a single train, or if I’m looking at two separate side-by-side tracks, similar to what you use at the Orlando Airport to get to the various Terminals.

Yet again, more reasons to love Universal Orlando! :p

I can't believe how big the Gringotts building is :eek:

Glad to see there's a double track for the Hogwarts Express - they'll need it for throughputs!

I guess from the poor quality photos from inside the coaster building, we're not likely to see any major updates/spoilers until its finished? :(!

Yeah it's going to be a pretty big ride! I seriously can't wait to go back once it's done! :D

Right, TPR have some new photos of the parks and the construction work taking place in both Universal Orlando theme parks here, and Universal posted an image of what the park looked like in the 90's when it had literally just opened:

860966_10151315122067852_1985595279_o.jpg

Nice! ;D

Further construction has taken place with the new Harry Potter area, as can be seen in this image.

599063_346724272105350_1764062538_n.jpg

If only Towers worked that fast...

Also, a new hotel will be coming to Universal Orlando Resort!

406273_346723392105438_291043272_n.jpg

Looks very nice and modern!

TPR have a big photo update of Universal Orlando and some of the construction work going on here.

A few more updates from Screamscape regarding the merchandise store at the front of the Studios park, Transformers and Springfield:

General Park News - (3/5/13) ParkScope reports the discovery of a new permit that will see the merchandise store in the front of Universal Studios Florida expanded. Read all the details here.

2013 - Transformers The Ride: 3-D - (3/5/13) Just as predicted, the new Transformers gift shop (Supply Vault) did just open. Even better, Behind The Thrills reports that the new Optimus Prime and Bumblebee characters were out meeting the guests outside the Supply Vault.
(3/4/13) I’m told that most of the construction walls around the Transformers gift shop and new Meet Donkey area are down. The word from insiders is that the new gift shop could open as early as Monday so keep an eye open.

Spring 2013 - Project 971 / Simpsons - (3/4/13) The walls around the new Springfield eateries were down this weekend. Check out two great pictures sent in by a reader showing off Moe’s Tavern and what may be the Krustyburger.
db_2013_0304_Simpsons11.jpg

db_2013_0304_Simpsons21.jpg

Can't wait to see Springfield completed! ;D

Moe's Tavern could look VERY good if the rest of it is done properly (and I have no doubt it will be).

Looks ace. I remember thinking that the area around the Simpsons ride was so lacking. Even the ride gift shop had pretty limited merch offerings.

Can't believe they've they've managed to build so much in such a short amount of time. Shows what money can do.

Yep, you have to spend it to make it! :p

Anyway, Screamscape have another two images of Moe's for us:

db_2013_0308_USF_Simpsons11.jpg

db_2013_0308_USF_Simpsons21.jpg

This is looking great! The Simpsons ride and Kwik-E-Mart on their own seemed a little weird, so this should really help!

Hogwarts Express and Springfield updates from Screamscape:

2014 - Wizarding World / Hogwarts Express - (3/12/13) An anonymous photo was sent my way this week, showing off what I believe may be our first look at the supports going into place for the Hogwarts Express.

db_2013_0312_HogwartsExpress1.jpg

db_2013_0121_IOA_Depot11.jpg

Spring 2013 - Springfield / Simpsons - (3/12/13) Screamscape spies sent in a little more data regarding the new Springfield / Simpsons themed zone under construction. As I had hoped, the new spinning flat ride will indeed be given a SciFi theme and named after Kang and Kodos. I’m told that our previous rumors about the Duff Gardens facility overlooking the lagoon (and the VIP Seating area below) was right on the money. There will also be several other popular Springfield “icons” to see and pose with as you travel through Springfield. The random food carts that used to exist in this area will be replaced by Simpsons themed Food Trucks instead, along with a small façade of Lard Lad Donuts, complete with the infamous Lard Lad statue. Out front will be Police Chief Wiggum’s squad car parked out front, on top of a fire hydrant. A few other famous Simpson’s themed cars will appear around the area, as well as a character Meet ‘n Greet location between the right exit of the Simsons ride and the Kwik-E-Mart.
Then there is the food court… and the unofficial “list” I’ve been sent of restaurants, running left to right starting next to the Kwik-E-Mart is: General Chang’s Taco Italiano, Moe’s Tavern, Krusty Burge and then Kentucky Fried Panda on the far right side. So far the two buildings on the outside locations have installed the least amount of detail, and neither one looks dead on right just yet, so I wouldn’t be surprised if these two may have swapped locations either.

Aaaaannnd another update from Screamscape:

Spring 2013 - Springfield / Simpsons - (3/14/13) Hi-di-ho Neighborino… looks like Moe’s Tavern got it’s first coat of paint today. Check out the latest photo just sent in. Meanwhile you can see a few more pictures of Springfield area over at OrlandoUnited where digging has begun in full force to prepare the sites for Duff Gardens, the VIP Seating area and the new Kodos & Kang spinner-rooni ride.

db_2013_0314_USF_MoesPaint11.jpg

Screamscape are reporting that a survey crew have been spotted in the Jurassic Park area:
General Park News - (3/22/13) OrlandoInformer posted an interesting photo to Twitter earlier, showing a surveyor crew at work inside the Jurassic Park area of Islands of Adventure. Based on the photo, I’d have to guess they were located at the bottom of the stairs by the Splashdown area of the JP ride (behind them), closest to the Thunder Terrace restaurant (the Entrance of which I believe is to the left of the photographer). If so... that is a curious place to be doing surveying work... unless they were planning on building something in that area that might need access to the open space behind the restaurant. Something like the rumored King Kong 3D 360º attraction or one of the many rumored new Jurassic Park attractions maybe?
Aforementioned photo:
BF4sCAgCUAEUsaS.jpg:large