• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Valhalla: Blackpool Pleasure Beach

But the whole point is the wetness. It's a ride built around excess, so surely it should be excessively wet?

Blackpool is cold and windy enough, you don't need to be any colder...

I often wish you got less wet...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I think the level of wetness is an extension of the theme and concept of the ride so to remove it would lessen the overall experience.

Were all the effects working consistently (something that less wetness may allow for) the theme of excess and extremities would come through much clearer and make the ride something much more awe-inspiring. I'm not saying you should stay dry - as it is a water ride after all! However, I think that the levels of wetness should have been much lower so that the experience and effects could have been appreciated and focussed on more. As it is, I spend more time trying to minimise how wet I get then I do at taking in the actual ride itself...

Another note upon entering the ice room ive found that the doors are on a sensor? correct me if im wrong but when I rode twice consitatnly when half the boat was through the doors would should, infact they did hit off my head twice but that may have been me just looking around and being nosey.

Also when you do the first drop backwards is the ''fan'' thing supposed to be another effect? or is that an industrial fan for the ride to remove smoke/gas or whatever from the main ride part? It seems abit pointless and its extremly loud!

I think the excessive wetness serves another purpose. Imagine if the ride had been built, as Scott says, just as a normal boat ride without too much of a soaking involved - the poncho shop would have been nearly redundant. As it is, the revenue from poncho sales must be absolutely enormous - and help to pay off the huge costs of running the ride significantly. Maybe that is the cynical viewpoint but I think that was a contributing factor.

The reason Intamin were grumpy when GT demanded it could be done was the run off on each drop was not long enough. Hence why the ride is so wet.

I've always felt the double drop should have been just one big drop. Unless you know it's there you can't prepare for it and as a result it's fairly uncomfortable. There would also have been more space for a longer run off without it.

That said, the drops themselves are only a small portion of the total amount of water entering the boat . It would be far simpler to just deactivate the water vortex and water hammers, which would make the ride much more bearable on colder days.

Have Pleasure Beach ever done a behind the scenes tour of the ride? I'd love to do one just to see all the effects and how everything works, it would be interesting to say the least!

Also does anyone had the station audio with the man saying welcome and to prepare yourself somthing along the lines of the gods of the north?

From my knowledge they haven't done a behind the scenes on Valhalla. In the words of an ex-park official "It's a death trap" some of the walk ways are wooden and rotting (not sure if they've been upgraded since) but I was lead to believe it's not safe to walk all of the areas to see everything. All that is safe is the evac routes.

Zak said:
I also visited the same day Dean was there and it's the first time I've ever seen the snow sprayers working and along with the effect I mentioned on here the arrows with the fire. Also after coming out the snow room it's the first time I've saw the drop so misty/foggy which was a great effect! But on our 3rd ride all the fire effects didn't work asif they'd been blown out. A member of the general public also mentioned a "ring of fire" effect? Is this true or them just over exhadurating?

To put it plainly I rode Valhalla all day bar from about 45 minutes on 26th June, the last Fire Ball and the Fire Square only worked once before my lunch break. After lunch they were working slightly more often but not every ride...

Was a nice surprise as normally if the pilot light has gone out, then that's it for the day. But they were resetting every now and then...

Wouldnt it make more sense if they moved the photo point aswell? It would make more sense if they put it on one of the drops or by the fireball at the end to capture the expression at the minute I don't think ive ever had a decent photo on the ride where its positioned at the momment.. unless of course they cant move it.

The photo point always used to be on the backwards drop, accompanied by an announcement telling you to look up (which was needed as most people naturally put their heads down for the drop). I've no idea why they moved it, as the new position is even worse with most people completely unaware it's even there.

Something a bit off topic (yet loosely related) is that Loki's and Thor's Bar and Restaurant appear to have closed opposite Valhalla - citing the end of the Viking area of the park that also consisted of Vikingar and the Valhalla Shop back in the day.

Instead, the Arabian Derby booth further down Reel Street has been replaced by a new chippy 'The Plaice', which sells Fish & Chips and a number of drinks options;

a0dpru

a0dsq0

Photos courtesy of myself and Airgates.

Could this mean they're planning on doing somthing with the area? I always thought the resturant was well themed especially from the outside too!

Although a shame that the restaurant has closed, those prices are pretty reasonable for a theme park!

mrbrightside said:
Although a shame that the restaurant has closed, those prices are pretty reasonable for a theme park!

But bear in mind that it is right next to the main entrance - there are quite a number of independent Fish & Chip shops dotted nearby.

I do hope that this could lead to something new, however there are still remains of an SBNO attraction in the Cableway building (although not the Cableway itself), so it would perhaps mean getting rid of part of the park's heritage. :-\

That restaurant near Valhalla was one of the best themed things in any UK park! :(

I hope it doesn't get demolished!

Oh god, why? Why have they closed it?

Also, why have they redecorated the other restaurant? I always quite liked the cheesy Arabian theme Mandyland and Southport used to have.