• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Veganuary (and beyond?) 2024

I have tried a vegi diet on three occasions, I am afraid I had chronic digestive problems, to put it politely (rare for me I know), each time.
Less red meat, more free range chicken, and very few takeaways/fast food.
And I'm afraid I have offered my vegi best mate a bacon butty every time he has stopped over for the last forty years.
I like vegetarians generally, but I couldn't eat a full one, not in one sitting.
Bring on the soylent green.

Burger King have brought back their bean burger https://www.burgerking.co.uk/menu/item-item_55032

Greggs are bringing back their vegan bake tomorrow (thanks to @Jonathan for giving me the heads up)

For those who prefer to cook at home, here’s a vegan lasagne recipe I recommend: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegan_lasagne_89049 It looks a bit involved, but it is very tasty.

And for pudding, these are amazing: https://www.ocado.com/products/gu-p...zh4i7ElO_KuPjte-YGhoCOuoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If anyone is trying veganuary - have you found any tasty treats to share? Do any of our vegans have any recommendations?

As someone who works in the meat industry I will take great delight in eating double my normal intake of meat in January just to offset one grass eater.
I’m not a massive meat eater anyway so it won’t be too hard, whilst training I normally eat more carbs and get protein from milk products.

January is dry January, why can’t the plant murderers get their own month instead of jumping on someone else’s bandwagon?

Burger King have brought back their bean burger https://www.burgerking.co.uk/menu/item-item_55032

Greggs are bringing back their vegan bake tomorrow (thanks to @Jonathan for giving me the heads up)

For those who prefer to cook at home, here’s a vegan lasagne recipe I recommend: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegan_lasagne_89049 It looks a bit involved, but it is very tasty.

And for pudding, these are amazing: https://www.ocado.com/products/gu-p...zh4i7ElO_KuPjte-YGhoCOuoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If anyone is trying veganuary - have you found any tasty treats to share? Do any of our vegans have any recommendations?

The dark chocolate and almond cookies at Pret are delicious and vegan. And Caffè Nero do a lovely salted caramel cheesecake that is vegan.

What laughably passes for a canteen at work (spoiler: we don’t have one, we have to sneak in to the company next door and use theirs), forces “meat free mondays” upon everyone.

It is always empty on mondays.

I honestly can't get my head around the widespread contempt for vegans (and to a lesser degree, vegetarians).

It's not a viable or desirable lifestyle for everyone (myself included), but I always find myself cringing at those who respond to compelling arguments about animal welfare and environmentalism with lame, tired jokes about "murdering vegetables" and eating extra bacon to compensate for "grass eaters."

I don't have the resources or willpower to eat a vegan diet full-time but I really commend those that do. Hopefully I can at least make it through Veganuary without being led astray by cheese...

Out of interest Harv, what is different during January that allows you to do Veganuary but not go full time?

I honestly can't get my head around the widespread contempt for vegans (and to a lesser degree, vegetarians).

It's not a viable or desirable lifestyle for everyone (myself included), but I always find myself cringing at those who respond to compelling arguments about animal welfare and environmentalism with lame, tired jokes about "murdering vegetables" and eating extra bacon to compensate for "grass eaters."

I don't have the resources or willpower to eat a vegan diet full-time but I really commend those that do. Hopefully I can at least make it through Veganuary without being led astray by cheese...
Those in the industry know about animal welfare and environmental issues so the contempt is well deserved, jumping on the environmental issues with corrupt data is actually laughable when you know the truth on things like water use.
Counting rain water that feeds the grass or corn for example as part of the figures?
Try and get the potable water figures out of the fake protein industry, They won’t share it because they use a more potable water per kg of protein than poultry for example but that doesn’t follow the agenda so won’t get published.

If it makes you feel better to believe you are doing your bit all well and good but don’t push it on the rest of us.

For the record I have no issues with vegetarians they go about their business quietly but vegans are generally militant so and so’s.

The aim of this thread was not to be militant, or was it to start a debate on whether veganism is a good or bad thing.

It is purely to publicise veganuary for those who may like to take part, and also let people know of vegan options when they’re out and about - especially once the parks re-open.

I really don’t want this thread to start any arguments so I’d respectfully ask that people refrain from turning it into one.

If you don’t want to do veganuary, or you’re not interested in veganism or you’d like us all to wiped from the planet - move along and start your own thread.

Those in the industry know about animal welfare and environmental issues so the contempt is well deserved, jumping on the environmental issues with corrupt data is actually laughable when you know the truth on things like water use.
Counting rain water that feeds the grass or corn for example as part of the figures?
Try and get the potable water figures out of the fake protein industry, They won’t share it because they use a more potable water per kg of protein than poultry for example but that doesn’t follow the agenda so won’t get published.

If it makes you feel better to believe you are doing your bit all well and good but don’t push it on the rest of us.

For the record I have no issues with vegetarians they go about their business quietly but vegans are generally militant so and so’s.
For balance, I know half a dozen vegan individuals, not one is a militant so and so.
I do however, know several corrupt businessmen who try to deflect the genuine environmental concerns from the animal trade.
Go about your business as noisily as you like vegans!!!

As mentioned, the aim of this thread was to discuss vegan options available and to offer support and advice for those who might choose to go vegan or dip into vegan options, especially over January.

It's a shame some members seem to ignore this and choose to try and create a debate, when it's clear this is not the intention of the topic.

Please remain on the topic that the original poster created, otherwise simply don't participate in this thread. Thanks.

Today I tried the vegan steak bake from Greggs - not sure it’s as nice as their Moroccan bake which was available before Xmas but it was definitely worth a try, Unfortunately they had run out of soy milk so no coffee today, but their glazed doughnuts are still vegan so I got a sweet treat.

I can also recommend Deliciously Ella Every Day cook book - not sure on the rules of posting recipes here but I find they’re quite easy to make and the majority have been tasty.

There are plenty of relatively easy and delicious ways to get a lot of protein on a vegan diet. For me that usually looks like some combination of seitan, tofu, soy curls, chickpeas, lentils, soybeans, quinoa, and similar foods. If you're a bodybuilder or otherwise have protein requirements much higher than those of a normal person then it will, at first, be harder to eat plant-based than it would be to just have a chicken breast or two, but for most people it isn't as difficult as you would imagine.

I'm not strictly vegan but have been eating majority plant-based for about six months now and the whole process has been so much easier than I imagined it would be.

We have meat-free meals a few times a month at home. So easy to do with pasta and curry dishes, and I'm sure we've had a veggie-friendly chilli a few times. I do enjoy eating meat, don't get me wrong (yes, I think we all know the joke from my trip to PortAventura back in 2013 :p), but I don't mind going meat-free sometimes. I can do a pretty decent vegetable pasta bake, for example!

I don't have meat every meal, I quite like a stir fry or pasta either with or without meat.
Tonight is pasta bake with no meat in it but I did push the boat out and have a full English in the hotel this morning, delicious.

On another note fruit pastilles are now vegan friendly so “can be enjoyed by everyone!” Well that’s what it says on the bag but they now taste of chemicals and are horrible so certainly not enjoyed by me any more.

Whilst I'm not partaking in Veganuary, it's great seeing the growth in new/recipe altered products and dishes for those who are on vegan and vegetarian diets, alongside the many books and recipes we can now find online. It's a marked difference from 10 years ago when I remember the offering being ok but dull and tasteless. So, I'm very happy for those unable to consume meat or cow's milk due to allergies, intolerances and or health conditions that may not allow it, alongside those who are vegan/vegetarian on ethical and religious grounds.

As for recipes I'll recommend, which're mostly vegan:
I'd share more of my favourites if I could, but they're all in my Linda McCartney/Joe Wicks/Miguel Barclay cook books and haven't been put online (yet).

Last edited:
I would recommend BBC Food (not to be confused with BBC Good Food), they've got absolutely loads of recipes including ones from popular TV shows as well as dietary and financial advice.