• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Veganuary (and beyond?) 2024

Genuine question from a non-vegan who occasionally eats vegan food just because it's nice to try things. Has anyone ever found any vegan cheese that isn't awful? Every one I've ever tried has been vile. One of the meals at work is a vegan lasagne and it's like someone has covered it in white snot.
Ah. Cheese is a problem. I’ve not found a decent vegan cheese in about 8 years of looking.

I use blocks of Epic by Violife for sandwiches and recipes that require cheese but you’re right it’s not the same and the taste and consistency can leave a lot to be desired.

My vegan cheese sauce recipe has no vegan cheese in it these days, I use nutritional yeast flakes to make a white sauce (made with almond milk) taste of something, then sprinkle the Epic over the top. It’s nothing like the real thing, but as close as I can get.

There may be super fancy vegan cheese out there, but I’m not paying £20 for a small block - I’d rather go without.

“I am nut ok” cheeses are brilliant , generally available in health food shops . Real range of types and flavours too. But at £7 a slab they are very much a luxury item

I have accepted that vegan cheese is some sort of industrial impossibility. Luckily in this case, I'm not vegan, but unlike milk and burgers, it will never be a preference or priority for me.

“I am nut ok” cheeses are brilliant , generally available in health food shops . Real range of types and flavours too. But at £7 a slab they are very much a luxury item
I will have a look for those, thanks for the tip

Just got back from Liseberg. I was a little concerned about food as I couldn’t see many vegan options on the menus however guest services promised me there were options across the park and they were right.

I didn’t stray far from vegan burger and chips (as that was the only option where we stopped for dinner), but it was very tasty and only £22 for large portion of burger and chips with dipping sauce and a 175ml glass of wine. I think if we’d ended up somewhere else they might have had different options, but I didn’t want to spend too much time wandering about and not on rides.

My only slight complaint would be there’s a complete lack of puddings… or there was wherever we looked. No cakes, no chocolate torte, not even the dreaded sorbet, I had to make do with the candy floss and hope it wasn’t coloured with cochineal 😬

Reactions: D4n
After another annoying trip to Towers where they were refusing to provide non dairy frothy coffee I wrote to the vegan society for advice, see screen shot below.

I think the way towers acts is definitely indirect discrimination, and will be writing to Aramark and towers (again) to point this out, if anyone else would like to do similar maybe we’ll be listened to. This doesn’t just affect vegans, it also affects anyone with dietary requirements,

Attachments

• IMG_6740.jpeg
    IMG_6740.jpeg
    419.5 KB · Views: 11