• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Vote Coasters 2023 Poll Results

Ethan

TS Member
Vote coasters results have been announced for 2023. The top 10 roller coasters in the world according to nearly 3000 people are:
1. Steel vengeance
2. Velocicoaster
3. Ride to happiness
4. Iron gwazi
5. Zadra
6. Eejanaika
7. Fury 325
8. Hakugei
9. Voyage
10. Dc rivals
New entries Gotham city escape and Arieforce one sit just outside the top 10 in 13th and 14th. Nemesis remains the highest rated roller coaster in the Uk, sitting in 66th. The top 10 rides in the Uk according to voters are:
1. Nemesis
2. Icon
3. Smiler
4. Stealth
5. Swarm
6. Wicker man
7. Nemesis Inferno
8. Megafobia
9. Sik
10. Saw
A total of 1298 coasters were ranked and 2970 voters, making it officially the largest poll for coasters in the world. For any of you who would like to look at the list yourself I will leave a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Mods please move this to whatever topic is appropriate I couldn't find one so apologies for that will just stick it in general discussion and wait for it to be moved)

Vote coasters results have been announced for 2023. The top 10 roller coasters in the world according to nearly 3000 people are:
1. Steel vengeance
2. Velocicoaster
3. Ride to happiness
4. Iron gwazi
5. Zadra
6. Eejanaika
7. Fury 325
8. Hakugei
9. Voyage
10. Dc rivals
New entries Gotham city escape and Arieforce one sit just outside the top 10 in 13th and 14th. Nemesis remains the highest rated roller coaster in the Uk, sitting in 66th. The top 10 rides in the Uk according to voters are:
1. Nemesis
2. Icon
3. Smiler
4. Stealth
5. Swarm
6. Wicker man
7. Nemesis Inferno
8. Megafobia
9. Sik
10. Saw
A total of 1298 coasters were ranked and 2970 voters, making it officially the largest poll for coasters in the world. For any of you who would like to look at the list yourself I will leave a link.
Sometimes... I wish British coasters could breach higher than #66. Although unlike the yanks, we have a lot more H&S regs, for better or for worse... Well, that and the power locals have over the applications though public consultations.

Sometimes... I wish British coasters could breach higher than #66. Although unlike the yanks, we have a lot more H&S regs, for better or for worse... Well, that and the power locals have over the applications though public consultations.
I’d say it’s more that most Yanks have never left their own state, never mind country. There’s probably a fair few of them who think coasters don’t exist in the primitive backwaters of Anywherenotamericastan.

Nemesis remains the highest rated roller coaster in the Uk, sitting in 66th. The top 10 rides in the Uk according to voters are:
1. Nemesis
A ride which no longer exists, and which no one rode in 2023, was not only allowed and featured on the list, but came on top for a region? This may have been "the largest poll of coasters in the world" (not sure where officially comes from), but I'm not sure I particularly hold it in high esteem.

I’d say it’s more that most Yanks have never left their own state, never mind country. There’s probably a fair few of them who think coasters don’t exist in the primitive backwaters of Anywherenotamericastan.
Meh, true. Aren't most Yank coasters mostly just using the formula taller + faster + speed = better?

A ride which no longer exists, and which no one rode in 2023, was not only allowed and featured on the list, but came on top for a region? This may have been "the largest poll of coasters in the world" (not sure where officially comes from), but I'm not sure I particularly hold it in high esteem.
I agree with you about Nemesis. However, I think this poll holds much more weight than the golden ticket awards because there is no country or park biased. The poll has a wide range of people from different countries voting which makes the results more realistic and fair. Millennium force for example has sat in the top 2 of the golden ticket awards for many years, yet in this poll it isn't even in the top 30

I agree with you about Nemesis. However, I think this poll holds much more weight than the golden ticket awards because there is no country or park biased. The poll has a wide range of people from different countries voting which makes the results more realistic and fair. Millennium force for example has sat in the top 2 of the golden ticket awards for many years, yet in this poll it isn't even in the top 30
I don't agree that this poll holds more weight than the Golden Tickets. They are both open polls which people can vote in without any qualifications or verification. There is no way to know if the people voting rode these rides or when they did. I could pass my judgment on Nitro which I rode in 2001... but is that the right thing to do? I mean, a 22 year old memory of a coaster which has aged since then!

I also have more concern with this poll that people are voting based on other people's opinions and POV's - and I do feel that both these lists indicate this. I mean, it's a YouTuber who reviews coasters asking people to rank coasters. It does seem to mirror his and his 'YouTube friends' views.

I don't agree that this poll holds more weight than the Golden Tickets. They are both open polls which people can vote in without any qualifications or verification. There is no way to know if the people voting rode these rides or when they did. I could pass my judgment on Nitro which I rode in 2001... but is that the right thing to do? I mean, a 22 year old memory of a coaster which has aged since then!

I also have more concern with this poll that people are voting based on other people's opinions and POV's - and I do feel that both these lists indicate this. I mean, it's a YouTuber who reviews coasters asking people to rank coasters. It does seem to mirror his and his 'YouTube friends' views.
I agree that the poll results may be based on opinions of others to an extent. I think the results are trendy because people may be ranking on what they've heard are the best rides. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though because rides that are rated highly by everyone that has ridden it must be the best rides. The more popular opinions are likely to be followed by those that haven't even ridden it

So this uses the old Mitch Hawker methodology? Either they're not being entirely honest, or youtube has done even more damage than I thought

So this uses the old Mitch Hawker methodology? Either they're not being entirely honest, or youtube has done even more damage than I thought
That wasn't really my point. I was simply trying to point out that no ranking is better than another. They all have substantial flaws.

Even if tou put together a pannel to ride every coaster in the world, there still would be issues as its such a subjective thing and influenced by so many factors.

I miss the days when Nemesis would regularly rank in the top 5 of worldwide coaster polls.

Just shows how far the UK has fallen in terms of world class rides when the most highly rated coaster has been around nearly 30 years, and hasn't even had anyone ride it in over a year :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
I miss the days when Nemesis would regularly rank in the top 5 of worldwide coaster polls.

Just shows how far the UK has fallen in terms of world class rides when the most highly rated coaster has been around nearly 40 years, and hasn't even had anyone ride it in over a year :tearsofjoy:
I think the way rides are ranked sometimes doesn't make sense. So are rides ranked on how well they deliver the main focus of the ride? For example Nemesis delivers sustained force better than Smiler delivers inversions. If that is the case then does it make sense to rank rides that way? Surely all factors should be taken in consideration not just the main focal one. A ride that has a mix of force, airtime, speed, inversions, hangtime is surely a better ride than one that just excels in a certain area. For example Nemesis has great intensity, but lacks in other areas, yet its ranked higher than Icon which is a more rounded experience and delivers in more areas than Nemesis does. So how can Nemesis be better if it focuses on force and thats it but Icon focuses on a mix of everything

I think the way rides are ranked sometimes doesn't make sense. So are rides ranked on how well they deliver the main focus of the ride? For example Nemesis delivers sustained force better than Smiler delivers inversions. If that is the case then does it make sense to rank rides that way? Surely all factors should be taken in consideration not just the main focal one. A ride that has a mix of force, airtime, speed, inversions, hangtime is surely a better ride than one that just excels in a certain area. For example Nemesis has great intensity, but lacks in other areas, yet its ranked higher than Icon which is a more rounded experience and delivers in more areas than Nemesis does. So how can Nemesis be better if it focuses on force and thats it but Icon focuses on a mix of everything
Because everyone has their own opinions. Shocker, I know.

I prefer Nemesis to Icon for example because it’s a much more thrilling ride experience. Someone else may prefer a more sedate experience that’s not so intense and that’s perfectly fine. If more people prefer the former over the latter, then that’s the one that will come out higher in a poll.

Because everyone has their own opinions. Shocker, I know.
I know everyone has different opinions that's why I was asking if there's a determining factor that makes a certain ride more favourable to the majority over another ride

No it’s all subjective, you state that Icon is more well rounded than Nemesis, I think Icon fails in almost every level. So how can any poll be anything other than subjective.

I don’t think rides are ranked on any one specific thing in most cases. It’s simply down to how much people like them. I know it is for me, anyway.

If you look at my own top 5, as an example, you have a fairly diverse mix of coasters in there. You have:
  • Mako and Silver Star, two more traditional sustained airtime machines, at the #1 and #3 spots. I love these two for their amazing sustained airtime and awesome sense of speed!
  • VelociCoaster, a new-gen multi-launch coaster, at the #2 spot. I love VelociCoaster for how phenomenally well-rounded it is and how truly insane some of its elements, such as the second launch, top hat and mosasaurus roll, are!
  • Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure, a family thrill launch coaster, at the #4 spot. I love Hagrid’s for how absurdly fun it is. It is not the most intense coaster in the world by any stretch, and unlike others, it doesn’t really have any standout moments of thrill, but it’s just so phenomenally, intangibly fun!
  • Iron Gwazi, an RMC hybrid coaster, at the #5 spot. I love Iron Gwazi for its amazing ejector airtime, obscenely fast pacing and insane elements in places!
Yes, there are some definite common threads between a number of them (I do love a good bit of airtime!), but I don’t think they’re necessarily ranked by any one thing other than simply my personal enjoyment of them.

And as others have said, these things are all completely subjective. One person will have a very different opinion to another.

I know everyone has different opinions that's why I was asking if there's a determining factor that makes a certain ride more favourable to the majority over another ride
Personal enjoyment is the main thing.

Also I don't think American bias is a thing, they simply have a higher quantity of elite coasters over there.

I would say that the two things that make a ride more favourable to the majority of park visitors are:
1. It's marketing
2. What it looks like

It sounds daft, but you look at Wickerman - it's a fairly standard family GCI. It is nothing special, other than it's theming and the excellent marketing from Merlin. People seem to love it. Look at Infusion at BPB - its a standard SLC, but it looks pretty epic due to where it is and it is what people think a coaster should be. It regularly scores at the top in guest surveys.

Personally, I am really looking forward to Hyperia. I would think though that PMBO *might* still score higher in GP surveys simply because of how it looks and the fact that it's what people expect a Hypercoaster to look like.

Everything related to ride experience is subjective - I love rides that feel out of control and a bit rattly, many people look for 'glass smooth' rides. So unless we can come up with a league table of measurable statistics to rank coasters on, these things will always just be a bit of folly.