• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wanda Group/Paramount/Lions Gate/THORPE PARK

TheMan

TS Member
Favourite Ride
NemiLerVion
The company Dalian Wanda Group, who mentioned investing in a theme park in the UK, and who were speculated upon to maybe be behind investment in Paramount potentially have made an interesting move... they're rumoured to have bid for a stake in Lions Gate no less:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/01/us-lions-gate-ent-m-a-dalian-wanda-idUSKCN0JF2AC20141201

Obviously there's a huge amount of speculation, but it's business world not coasters so paths are generally more logical.

They're also interested in building a $1.2bn dollar something or another in Hollywood as a "first step"... No word on what that is. But they're in the entertainment sector now and mean serious business clearly.

Paramount could do worse than partner with these, but with the rumoured Lions Gate dark ride tie in, as well as existing IP and recent further IP acquisitions during Fright Nights etc, I cannot imagine THORPE will be getting their IP long term with a park they've invested serious cash in down the road (if all speculations/rumours etc turn out to be accurate).

One of those real "rubs chin in thought" moments with my coffee.

They could become serious players, they're moving swiftly through the entertainment/leisure industry and have their eye on theme parks, I am sure Blackstone will have an exit strategy for Merlin; indeed I'd wager that's why the business pressures are on quick build cut/copy/paste maximum revenue investments... Could ultimately we see Wanda make a move for Merlin?

They've got the capital.

Competition or takeover?

Would this affect THORPES IP if they do become major investors in Paramount? Signs given the Hollywood comments and Lions Gate approach suggest aggressive moves into this marketplace.

One things for sure, it's refreshing. They seem to have come from no where, but they're capable of giving Blackstone a real run for their money.

I initially was going to post this in the THORPE/Paramount threads, but changed my mind and gave this it's own topic as it's a bit more serious business chat rather than uphill launched multi-looping wooden valley coaster like... :D

So. FT at the ready. Espresso at hand. Market prices live streaming. Can TS do serious business chat lol?

It's certainly very interesting but it is all a lot of ifs and buts right now, so much so that I doubt Thorpe/Merlin are worrying about anything yet.

As the article says, discussions between Lions Gate and Wanda are at a very early stage and it may not lead to a deal. Then as far as I am aware the speculation of Wanda investing in Paramount London is purely an idea that materialised on here and chances are there is nothing in it. It just could make sense as Paramount need money from somewhere and Wanda have plans for the UK market. I suppose it depends if Wanda want their own branded park to get their name out there (a la Merlin) or if they are happy to sit and invest in the background behind an established name like Paramount and reap the potential rewards.

So a long long way to go before any real implications but it is interesting. And it makes a really nice change to have some potential interesting developments in the UK market over the next ten years or so.

:)

I knew I could rely on you for a post on this @Rob :D

The thing with the Paramount link, is that's a very logical step. They want to be in Cinema, have held talks apparently with Lions Gate, are sniffing around MGM it seems, own a huge cinema business, want to move into Hollywood in a major way, and spoke openly (I believe) about moving into the UK theme park market. As I say, in the business world lots of talks happen of course, but huge companies like this seldom engage in idol chatter, and this is all over the business press. Joking aside I did actually read it initially in the Financial Times lol. It's reported in the Wall Street Journal, FT, Bloomberg and Reuters.

They're clearly going to do something in the UK market, it's just what more than if I think.

I wouldn't expect Thorpe's tie-in with Lionsgate to last more than another 5 years anyway. Fright night mazes get re-done after a few years to stop them being stale and Saw: The Ride will have a fixed term contract with Lionsgate anyway, after which point it will need a retheme. Although given what happened with Rumba Rapids (after Ribena sponsorship ended) and Bubbleworks and The Flume (after Imperial Leather sponsorship ended) I wouldn't expect Thorpe to do anything decent with Saw once the contract ends.

Don't forget @jon81uk the, here we go again, RUMOURED, Dark Ride IP that does actually make more sense.

Of all the likely IPs the more I have considered it, the more I find The Hunger Games to be a pretty strong choice.

Still not sure on longevity but with fans getting the new film soon, and then around a year or so later a ride, it does keep the flow nicely and should build and maintain interest if they timed an announcement right they could build some SERIOUS momentum.

That's something else I was referring to.

Maybe Wanda will invest in Lions Gate and buy THORPE PARK off Merlin (not exactly their most successful venture is it, get it off the books).

Of course none of these things can happen, the latter being very unlikely, Paramount remaining the most likely, a whole new park being LEAST likely for me over those.

But there's quite a lot of cross over here that could make things... interesting.

I still think the new dark ride could have a Dr Who theme. Hunger games to me feels like it would be difficult to get across in a dark ride, it is more suited to a stunt actor show.