• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wardley to retire

thefatone said:
Tom said:
Sub-Terra was Wardley-free. I think as a concept it was pretty cool, but execution was poor. I think they have some promising people but they need the funds.
Actually it wasn't. He was there a lot before the ride opened for feedback etc. He apparently looked thoroughly bored though - but was there for on site for a good week at least.

He didn't develop the ride. He is a consultant but the ride was thought up and produced by Ben Dowson. I suspect a lot of the tweaks came from John's suggestions though.

Sub-terra is actually a decent ride now and i know thats because a few extra people came on board and said "this needs doing". Sub-Terra is the perfect example of a ride built by commitee that then gets fixed by people with some vision.

My only hope is based on Gardaland, Raptor looks really well thought out and i hope that sort of expression can be continued.

Not about John's retirement but it's better than opening a whole new topic.

John has appeared in June's Parkworld Magazine on What he believes should be the next ride to make a come back and how it could be improved in the 21st century.

JWint_zps67061191.jpg

Too right John!!

For those who missed my post on page 3 of this forum about JW coming on the ECC Oakwood trip....
"Just to let everyone know that John Wardley has just emailed us, to say that he's really looking forward to "Oakwood", and that he will be bringing his pen along for the ride, to do signings of his new book. Now If you haven't already ordered your book from Amazon you don't have to worry because he will also be bringing some along at a reduced price.!! "

So if you'd like to come and meet JW - He'll be hosting a QA session along with prize giving in the ECC Oakwood post BBQ pub quiz Sign up once the invite arrives in your inbox if you're an ECC member - If you're not - What better excuse to join us?

Sorry for the shameless plug

Kev
(ECC Secretary)

coasterbloke said:
For those who missed my post on page 3 of this forum about JW coming on the ECC Oakwood trip....
"Just to let everyone know that John Wardley has just emailed us, to say that he's really looking forward to "Oakwood", and that he will be bringing his pen along for the ride, to do signings of his new book. Now If you haven't already ordered your book from Amazon you don't have to worry because he will also be bringing some along at a reduced price.!! "

So if you'd like to come and meet JW - He'll be hosting a QA session along with prize giving in the ECC Oakwood post BBQ pub quiz Sign up once the invite arrives in your inbox if you're an ECC member - If you're not - What better excuse to join us?

Sorry for the shameless plug

Kev
(ECC Secretary)

Excellent to see him going on geek trips, he met up with us (when we where TT) on a meet once, he was lovely. Hope you enjoy it, if Oakwood wasn't 6 hours away i would join you :)

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I am doing a project on the development of Audio Animatronics and I remember reading in Warldey's Autobiography that he created an AA from bits and bobs he found but I can't remember for the life of me what the name of his creation was, can someone tell me please? The figure was strumming a guitar if that helps!

Big C said:
Sorry to bring up an old topic but I am doing a project on the development of Audio Animatronics and I remember reading in Warldey's Autobiography that he created an AA from bits and bobs he found but I can't remember for the life of me what the name of his creation was, can someone tell me please? The figure was strumming a guitar if that helps!

I had a quick Google and found this section from Wikipedia's AA page:
John Wardley is often said to have brought animatronics to the United Kingdom, utilizing a concept called Ramped Movement, which allowed for smoother movements of the figures. John appeared on Tomorrow's World in the 1970s showing a guitar playing animatronic programmed to music. His first project was the creation of the animated show "50 Glorious Years" for Tussaud's "Royalty and Empire Exhibition" at Windsor.

And there was also a section in an issue of 'First Drop' on John Wardley where he talks about his animatronic too:
. I went to the United States and learned all I could about who makes and builds roller coasters, log fl umes, dark rides, etc. I realised that I could get virtually everything I needed to create this exciting “live” experience except for one vital ingredient – animated fi gures. So I experimented and developed an animation system of my own. The result was a life-sized country-and-western singer called Charlie Plucket who appeared on the UK TV programme Tomorrow’s World.

Is that what you're after? :)

I think it's time for some newness, and I'm not talking just about Wardley. It would be nice to see someone else at the creative helm when creating concepts for new rides. Yes, John Wardley has created some good rides a good ride but he's also been responsible for allowing some monstrosities to be erected.

Merlin need to move into a new creative direction and with that inject some new blood into the mix - push boundaries and create something truly revolutionary, something that will finally outshine Nemesis.

AirFAN said:
Yes, John Wardley has created some good rides a good ride but he's also been responsible for allowing some monstrosities to be erected.

Please go on, I'm fascinated...

:)

When I interviewed John, he said he may come out of retirement if the right project needed his help - such as a woodie, or a traditional dark ride. That'll never happen, then.

nickhutson said:
When I interviewed John, he said he may come out of retirement if the right project needed his help - such as a woodie, or a traditional dark ride. That'll never happen, then.

Where's the interview!? :p

AirFAN said:
Merlin need to move into a new creative direction and with that inject some new blood into the mix - push boundaries and create something truly revolutionary, something that will finally outshine Nemesis.

Just to pick you up on this point.

Tussauds, Towers and to an extent Merlin have and continue to consistently push boundaries and create new, revolutionary rides. Regardless of how well received they are, you can't deny that they are innovative and brand new to the industry.

Oblivion - Worlds first. (Wardley)
Air - Worlds first. (Wardley)
Thi13een - Worlds first (Wardley)
Colossus - Worlds first
The Smiler - Worlds first (Wardley)

Those are just off the top of my head. Nemesis wasn't even a worlds first or particularly innovative, it had been done in America already. It's just a well designed and well themed coaster. Innovation wise, every coaster since Nemesis, perhaps with the exception of Rita, has outshone Nemesis.

I think that trying to do something truly spectacular that can do this that and the other isn't the way to beat a ride like Nemesis. The best ideas are, more often than not, the ones that are the simplest.

Nemesis doesn't invert 14 times, have fancy projectors or feature indoor effects yet it's still the best white knuckle coaster at the park for drama, theatre, thrills and fun because it can do it all without the need for any tricks, bells or whistles.

Plus with more tech comes more down time (à la Air). It's kind of why I'm not too fussed about a 4D wing coaster (among other reasons) heading to the park.

LiamC said:
AirFAN said:

Tussauds, Towers and to an extent Merlin have and continue to consistently push boundaries and create new, revolutionary rides. Regardless of how well received they are, you can't deny that they are innovative and brand new to the industry.

Colossus - Worlds first

Those are just off the top of my head. Nemesis wasn't even a worlds first or particularly innovative, it had been done in America already. It's just a well designed and well themed coaster. Innovation wise, every coaster since Nemesis, perhaps with the exception of Rita, has outshone Nemesis.

Innovation, or gimmicks?

They where all innovative and interesting. The only true fail in that list if Th13teen, not because the "worlds first" is bad but because the roller coaster attached to it is.

AirFAN said:
LiamC said:
AirFAN said:

Colossus - Worlds first

Innovation, or gimmicks?

Oblivion, Air and Thirteen were certainly huge innovation. They all used a lot of new technology and pushed new boundaries. Thirteen's drop is hugely innovative and a brilliant idea, it is the coaster section that lets it down.

Anyway, I am still awaiting a response to this:

Rob said:
AirFAN said:
Yes, John Wardley has created some good rides a good ride but he's also been responsible for allowing some monstrosities to be erected.

I don't feel you can make such a bold statement without some seriously good reasoning to back it up.

Rob said:
Anyway, I am still awaiting a response to this:

Rob said:
AirFAN said:

I don't feel you can make such a bold statement without some seriously good reasoning to back it up.

Didn't he work on PortAventura's Diablo and Stampida? What about Hex V1 too?

Some might blame him for Colossus but Tussauds did a pretty good job at turning an off-the-shelf Intamin multi-looper into something much more impressive.

Many people don't really like Saw and Th13teen either as their outdoor sections aren't anything to shout about, though they're perfectly acceptable rides to me.

Though I doubt anyone would call it a Monstrosity as it was supposedly really good, Fifth Dimension at Chessington (before it became Terror Tomb) didn't exactly go down well with the GP.

Swarm also falls into the category of being decent but nothing remarkable.

Saying all that, there's still far, far more good than bad, I just wanted to try and answer. :p Correct me if I'm wrong on any of the rides I stated as I'm not sure about the two PortAventura coasters or Thorpe's Colossus.