• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wardley to retire

Wardley's 62?! But he looks younger! :eek: But at least Wardley can look back on his achievements and say they were some of the best in the industry.

Top man Wardley! Enjoy your life now =)

Ah well, I can understand when someone has had his day. But hey, he's leaving us behind a fantastic legacy, which without him, the UK theme park industry wouldn't be the same. 62's not a bad year for retirement I might add, though with The Smiler, I'm hoping that despite all the crap that is going on with it, that I do hope that it'll end his career on a high note.

All I can say is, all the best sir! Now who will be next to take his place...? :-X

Just had a look he was born in 1950 making him 63 this year. He's had an amazing career, so would thank him :)

It's a shame. :( At least he will leave on a high, and can look back on his wonderful, brilliant, thrilling, adrenaline pumping rollercoasters and say that they were world class and among the most respected, well know coasters of all time. Good man Wardley! May you have fun now. :)

Does that mean he'll be spending much more time riding some of his creations? :p

Anyway, if he should ever read this, thanks for giving the UK some of the best rides on the planet! :D

I know many of you here have met him, but just a lot of people have, doesn't make you any less lucky to have done so.

He is a true gentleman and his achievements speak for themselves - but I'm sure if you were to ask him he would say he got too much credit for them.

I hope that The Smiler is every success he hopes for, I don't think he is going to let us down on that.

This man is a legend! He has done so many fantastic things for the UK theme park industry. One of the greatest theme park masterminds. Unlike other enthusiasts who have indeed met him, I wish I could have just to praise him on the fantastic work he has done!

Okay, so why has he not been on the Queen's Honours List? Surely he deserves a knighthood for his services to the entertainment industry in the UK?

Let's here it for Sir John Wardley! The man who really is leaving his mark, and a legacy, that no one can fault him for!

John, if you're reading this, I'd just like to give my thanks. You did an amazing job with Chessington to begin with, a fantastic job at the Towers, and quite frankly, the UK Theme Park Industry would not be the same without you! May you have a fantastic retirement! Be sure to come along to some of the meet ups! It'd be an honour to meet you! All the best for the future!

Christ, some people are talking as if the poor guy's died! Obviously him properly leaving the industry is sad but the way some people are talking about it...!

That said, lovely guy, and was marvelous when we organised meeting up with him last year and the year before :)

Magrathea said:
Christ, some people are talking as if the poor guy's died! Obviously him properly leaving the industry is sad but the way some people are talking about it...!

Aha! Not really that Mags, just more that we are loosing someone who has made a huge impact to the industry like you've said :)

B&M confirmed to be doing gimmicky backwards seating modifications to rides. Wardley retires.

Magrathea said:

It makes more sense to praise him now, this way he'll actually get to read it ;)

I'll add my own thoughts later, I think he deserves more than a post I can come up with in 5 minutes :D

For some wierd reason, I think he may have a secret account here at well as on TT? hhmmmm, if he does I do hope he reveals himself and reads these nice posts about him!

I actually expected this news sooner or later, so now is probably the time. I seem to remember somebody mentioning that 'The Smiler' would be his last coaster.

So, John, I'd just like to say thank you for everything you have done and I'm sure you'll be remembered for many a year! You've been a great role-model and have certainly inspired many people to believe in themselves.

It's an emotional time... :(

From a selfish point of view, it is a shame he is retiring. Just think of what new experiences he could created if he did not.

But then he has done so much and brought so much joy to so many people, over his working life. It time for John to take it easy.

I hope his retirement is filled with the same amount of fun and enjoyment as he work has give to us.

It is a shame that he is retiring, he has been fantastic for the industry in this country, and the rest of the world. Some of his innovations working with B&M have been brilliant. He said not long ago that he was working with B&M on some new things so hopefully he may still have a small role there.

It's not overly surprising though, he could probably do with a nice break! He must be one of the most respected people in the industry though. On top of that he is one of the nicest people you could ever ask to meet, and very humble; he's always the first to praise others for projects he has worked on. He's also always been very good to the enthusiast community which you don't always get, he seems to understand and appreciate us.

So yeah if you ever read this, enjoy your retirement John, and thank you for all that you have done! Feel free to pop back in to Merlin HQ to offer them the odd bit of advice here and there! ;)

:)

Such a true legend. So down to earth and an absolute pleasure to talk to. It really should be Sir John Wardley my eyes. Great overall contribution to the Entertainment industry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2