• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Warwick castle

If this was going to be any old accomodation I'd understand it, but this was going to be the ultimate accomodation.

Clearly no-one would want to visit Warwick Castle for two days in a row but I do think the refusal of planning permission appears slightly harsh. The development would not have done any harm to tourism in the area.

:)

I completely agree with the council's decision. Adding a hotel is completely unnecessary, it's a castle, a place of heritage and history.

I wouldn't want it to be even more diluted.

I completely agree with the council's decision. Adding a hotel is completely unnecessary, it's a castle, a place of heritage and history.

I wouldn't want it to be even more diluted.

I've not really looked into it but it doesn't seem like English Heritage has any real objections and that is saying something. And it wasn't going to be a hotel anyway.

I had completely missed this application previously, I shall try and have a look into it though.

It was essentially Enchanted Village appearing at Warwick Castle. To benefit from the Warwick tourism, rather than the Castle itself.

I didn't like the application purely from the Village concept, rather than anything else. It's a bit too close to home to be copying stuff.

I find it rather amusing they wanted to build lodges and tree houses.

Merlin and creativity at it's finest. :p

I've had a quick look at the application and the decision. I do think the refusal is somewhat harsh. Here are a couple of supporting opinions from councillors:
Councillor Elizabeth Higgins has provided the following comments:

- I am familiar with the site, and understand the feelings of objectors but an 18th C landscape does not provide income in the 21st C when Merlin spend so much on the stonework of the Castle.
- Even as Chair of the Conservation Advisory Forum for WDC, I feel at odds with CAF in accepting this proposal as forward thinking on behalf of the current management of the Castle. They must look forward and have discovered that “glamping” in a seasonal way is such a success they want to progress forward into 2015 and beyond with lodges.
- Somehow the Castle has to accommodate more visitors, with both “glamping” and the two rooms in one of the Towers they have proved that people are prepared to pay to stay at the Castle.
- Because, the designers have placed these Lodges amongst the trees of Foxes Study, and only 6 trees will be removed, then it is perfectly acceptable for these pre-fabricated lodges to be built there, with their services under the board walk. Thus, no damage (or very little) is done to the roots of the trees
and if in decades to come, these lodges are removed, then the undergrowth will spring back with vigorous growth and new trees can be planted.
- Warwick Castle is a large employer of local people and the pubs and restaurants welcome the UK visitors and international visitors when they are in Warwick to visit the Castle. It is so vast that sustenance is needed to continue with the day, whether you are 6 or 60.

Councillor Grainger has provided the following supporting comments:

- Benefit to local economy; increase in visitors to town.
- Castle accommodation clearly designed to complement rather than compete with town’s existing hotel/B&B accommodation.
- Castle has taken steps to minimise impact upon landscape and views.
- The location within Foxes Study will not impact on the setting of the Castle, the Castle Park or any of the traditional views from the Castle towers or the town.
- Having attended the preplanning meeting the Castle put on I feel they have amended and listened to concerns about the Lodge design and have come up with improved sympathetically designed accommodation.
- Previous planning applications for a permanent maze and maintenance building located within Foxes Study have already been approved in addition to the temporary glamping application for 2014.
- There are outstanding conditions regarding this year’s glamping which have to be applied within a timescale. The Castle has assured me that these conditions will be met before the application is heard by the Committee, but this is an issue to some residents. I would like to see a condition placed on the application if agreed at planning that the Glamping planning consent run only until 2018, then the situation can be fully reviewed before any further application.
- Merlin have clearly invested significant amounts of money in maintaining and restoring the fabric of the Castle for future generations over the years and this investment will depend on their continued success -something which this proposal will contribute to and therefore every effort should be made to support the application.

I'd imagine Merlin were pretty annoyed by the decision. I don't think a few lodges would really have caused that much harm.

I was browsing Warwick Castle's website earlier when contemplating a visit when I found out that the Undercroft will no longer be doing the carveries and is now becoming another pizza and pasta buffet.

B87aCu5CUAAD6Zk.png:large

I was browsing Warwick Castle's website earlier when contemplating a visit when I found out that the Undercroft will no longer be doing the carveries and is now becoming another pizza and pasta buffet.

B87aCu5CUAAD6Zk.png:large

What an awful idea!

I remember having a fantastic sausage and mash in a giant yorkshire pud years ago and my niece stealing most of my Yorkshire. The carvery recently was also good. It is a castle and traditional British food is what visitors expect!

What an awful idea!

I remember having a fantastic sausage and mash in a giant yorkshire pud years ago and my niece stealing most of my Yorkshire. The carvery recently was also good. It is a castle and traditional British food is what visitors expect!

This. It's nice that you are able to get somewhat authentic food when visiting an historic castle. They shouldn't start rolling out their own Merlin corporate brands. Whatever next, The Warwick Castle Burger Kitchen?

This. It's nice that you are able to get somewhat authentic food when visiting an historic castle. They shouldn't start rolling out their own Merlin corporate brands. Whatever next, The Warwick Castle Burger Kitchen?

Seriously, would it surprise you?

That's not even sarcasm.

Well, that's another reason not to go. I've had a carvery there a few times and it's generally been good. Roasts are something that Merlin eateries are normally alright at; when Towers Family Restaurant used to do roast chicken a few years back I probably went there on most of my visits.

Pizza & Pasta Buffet, really? Fair enough if they want to incorporate one of their own brand restaurants, but at least use on that would reflect the attraction such as the equivalent of Towers St. Bar & Grill or Woodcutters.

The other restaurant they have there is similar to woodcutters/bar and grill. But when I went there a few years back I found it expensive and it didn't taste great. Only did the carvery once, but I thought it was very nice.

I got an email back from Warwick Castle, it looks like the Pizza/Pasta may not be a permanent change, but it is what guests want following a trial (and of course guests want unlimited food, instead of a one trip only carvery).

I’m sorry to hear you disappointed to see from our website that the Undercroft restaurant will soon be converting to offer a Pizza Pasta menu. The Undercroft restaurant first trialled Pizza Pasta in October 2013 following on from guest feedback that a full carvery meal was not always what our guests were interested in having and as the Pizza Pasta menu is very popular across other Merlin Entertainments attractions. This change was generally well received however we appreciate that over winter guests tend to prefer more of a full meal and particularly that guests do enjoy a carvery in the run up to Christmas so we did convert the restaurant back to offering a carvery menu. However, we do find that Pizza Pasta is a popular choice for our guests and therefore we will soon be changing back to this although it’s unlikely that this will be a completely permanent change. I’m sorry to hear your thoughts about this and I have passed your feedback along to the Food and Beverage team for their awareness and review. It’s worth noting that we do offer another restaurant, the Coach House, which sells a wider range of food and we do also offer other external food units on a seasonal basis including a range of more traditional foods such as Fish and Chips and Pulled Pork Baps so we do feel that we have a good range of food to suit all of our guests.

Well it's good then they sent you back a quick and what appears to be personal reply. Still don't think it is the best idea in the world though, they must think that a pizza pasta will make more money than a carvery.