• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Water parks

Following on from the closed topic on water parks, there does seem a very north south divide on them… in the north you have scarbourgh, blackpool , Stoke and towers in the south. ? Are there even any left outside of the likes of butlins/center parcs ?

Yes we have Coral reef at Bracknell, but i still struggle to see it as a major park
Splashdown in Poole is the only one of note I can think of, and even that is far less substantial than some northern ones.

Still mourning Fantaseas here😢😢

I wonder does anyone know what has happened to Wet n Wild in North Shields, it closed at the end of 2019 but as far as I am aware it has been SBNO ever since, yet despite that it was bought for over £3m by its operator after it had closed. It was a great park hard I think 10 slides so one of the biggest. Just wondered if anyone has any pictures since, ie is it been maintained at all?

Just thinking how all the US parks I visited this summer had attached water parks, somewhere there was no real distinction between the two.

And parks I've visited in mainland Europe such as Plopsaland De Panne, Walibi Belgium, Bellewarde, Duinrell, Europa Park, and Energylandia all have them. Whilst Liseberg are adding one in 2024.

Wheras in the UK the only major park to add one has been Alton Towers and that was part of adding a hotel.

Just thinking how all the US parks I visited this summer had attached water parks, somewhere there was no real distinction between the two.

And parks I've visited in mainland Europe such as Plopsaland De Panne, Walibi Belgium, Bellewarde, Duinrell, Europa Park, and Energylandia all have them. Whilst Liseberg are adding one in 2024.

Wheras in the UK the only major park to add one has been Alton Towers and that was part of adding a hotel.

You’d have to think that Paulton’s Park would be a great one for a water park given their location near the south coast and the temperatures they’d get.

The wave in Coventry is worth a visit. Shame its in ....Coventry
If your not just up for thrills tie it in with a visit to Warwick Castle and stratford upon avon (big up the home town)

With the staggering increase in energy costs, expect a few less water parks in the coming years!
They cost an absolute bomb to run.
Yeah I'm making a specific point of visiting loads this year, mindful of their running costs (which will only get worse) to support as many as I can. And at least visit them incase they do close. I would say if your a waterpark fan in the UK get there while you can and support them!

So I'm actually planning a waterpark trip in the UK:

There's my list of ones I have been to so far:

1. Wet n Wild North Shields (Sadly now closed)
  2. SC2 (and of course the original Sun Centre)
  3. LC2 Swansea
  4. Splash Landings
  5. The Wave
  6. Waterworld
  7. Splashdown Poole
  8. Splashdown Queywest
  9. Sandcastle Blackpool
  10. Coral Reef
  11. Aquasplash Hemel (Sadly now closed)
  12. All Butlins pools (including the former Butlins in Wales and Scotland)

Ones I am planning on going to:
  1. Time Capsule Glasgow
  2. Leisure Pool Perth
  3. Olympia Dundee (when it reopens for the Cannonball Yellow Slide mainly)
  4. Aquadrome Basingstoke (when the slides reopen)

Can anyone think of any other waterparks/pools/leisure centres (not counting Centerparks as you have to stay there to go to them) not on my list you can just go to which have at least 3 water slides (and are still open) in the UK?

So I'm actually planning a waterpark trip in the UK:

There's my list of ones I have been to so far:

1. Wet n Wild North Shields (Sadly now closed)
  2. SC2 (and of course the original Sun Centre)
  3. LC2 Swansea
  4. Splash Landings
  5. The Wave
  6. Waterworld
  7. Splashdown Poole
  8. Splashdown Queywest
  9. Sandcastle Blackpool
  10. Coral Reef
  11. Aquasplash Hemel (Sadly now closed)
  12. All Butlins pools (including the former Butlins in Wales and Scotland)

Ones I am planning on going to:
  1. Time Capsule Glasgow
  2. Leisure Pool Perth
  3. Olympia Dundee (when it reopens for the Cannonball Yellow Slide mainly)
  4. Aquadrome Basingstoke (when the slides reopen)

Can anyone think of any other waterparks/pools/leisure centres (not counting Centerparks as you have to stay there to go to them) not on my list you can just go to which have at least 3 water slides (and are still open) in the UK?
Moorways Sports Village in Derby recently opened and has 4 water slides and a unique wave pool. During peak times the other pool has an inflatable obstacle course as well.

There’s Alpamare in Scarborough which opened a few years ago - http://www.alpamare.co.uk - TPW also reviewed it:

Bad news for Alpamare’s presumably small band of fans - it’s closing over winter because of high energy costs with no cast iron guarantee it will reopen in the new year:

Shame I planned a trip there in November. Their outdoor pool is really good but I agree it must cost a fortune to heat. Really hope it reopens in spring as it's a great facility

Scarborough's Sea Life is a stone's throw from Alpamare, so it could actually be a very sensible purchase for Merlin.

Alpamare is pretty decent but it's always struggled to win over locals to support it during the winter months due to:

a). Being quite expensive in a town with one of the lowest average salaries in the UK.

b). Failing to offer worthwhile discounts and incentives for locals.

c). Comprising part of a development in the North Bay that has been beset by delays and dodgy dealings (even though we at least have the fantastic, renovated Open Air Theatre).

Following on from the closed topic on water parks, there does seem a very north south divide on them… in the north you have scarbourgh, blackpool , Stoke and towers in the south. ? Are there even any left outside of the likes of butlins/center parcs ?

Yes we have Coral reef at Bracknell, but i still struggle to see it as a major park

Yep, it's a real shame as a southerner, our only real options are overnight trips to places like Center Parcs or Alton Towers.

At least we have the Chessington one on the horizon!