• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Hollywood Studios: General Discussion

Just a little video to show how much Hollywood Studios has become Star Wars theme park... Not a bad thing, but they've gone all in for it. Here's a daytime typical parade! XD

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

While there is lots of Star Wars stuff it certainly isn't just about Star Wars, there is still lots more non Star Wars stuff than there is Star Wars things. On my recent trip certainly didn't feel that it was a park just about Star Wars. While some of the older attractions have been removed for toy story land and Star Wars land all the other main non Star Wars attractions are all still there.

While there is a heavy presence entertainment wise of Star Wars (the evening fireworks/projection show is fantastic) there is also still lots of other non Star Wars street entertainment and shows

Another Mack rises from the ground:

DA8I0VmW0AAWwnw.jpg

DA8ML94W0AAaF0o.jpg

DA8RUNLXoAAXGQP.jpg

Disney will announce the open date of Toy Story Land at the D23 Expo in July.

Meanwhile Star Wars Land is looking like this:

DA8Up8-W0AIOk_4.jpg

Apparently Bob Chapek has said that if you think Pandora is good then wait 'til you see Star Wars. That is setting the bar high!

All photos credit to bioreconstruct on Twitter.

:)

More D23 news, this time for Hollywood Studios!

As we know, Toy Story Land is opening next year and Disney confirmed that the opening will be in the summer. They showed off this new concept of Slinky Dog Dash:
TSLWDW35980746.jpg

And here is a look at how construction of Toy Story Land is progressing:

-------------
Obviously we know that Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (inspired by Samsung) is coming to Hollywood Studios. Here is a fly-through of the model shown off at D23:

A new concept of the Millenium Falcon attraction:

sadkjhr87960908.jpg

Disney also gave a new description of the Millenium Falcon attraction:

"The second attraction will give guests the opportunity to fly the Millenium Falcon, piloting the ship, shooting blasters or preparing for hyperspace – all while completing a critical mission. But how you perform on the mission holds even bigger stakes: perform with skill and you may earn extra galactic credits, while bringing the ship back banged up could put you on the list of a bounty hunter. End up on Harkos’s list and you may face a problem if you show up at the local cantina!"

And a new concept of the battle attraction:

hggkjgugjht66966475.jpg

It was confirmed that this will open later in 2019 (it will open in Disneyland first). Let's take a look at how construction is progressing:

-------------
Next it was announced that The Great Movie Ride will close on August 13th for work to begin on its replacement - Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway:

djkhfi8489690903.jpg

This will be the first ever Mickey themed ride-through attraction at any Disney park, which is great! It will be a 2.5D attraction; 3D but without the need for glasses. I'm not too sure how they are achieving this however it is a new technology that they have developed and I have seen it mentioned that this could utilise projection mapping. It is inspired by the new Mickey Mouse shorts that air on the Disney Channel.

No opening date mentioned but expect it to be in 2019, probably earlier in the year before Star Wars.

Those names are naff. none of them really define what the parks new thesis is. I'd stick with Hollywood Studio.

I can see that the word Studios is now an issue; as it is transforming into something very different.
Something simple like like Disney Hollywood Kingdom or Disney Hollywood Adventure would be better.

If anything I think it is the Hollywood part that could be dropped. If the park is to become the dumping ground for all their purchased IPs then you could incorporate the studios into that. Toy Story represents Pixar Studios. Star wars represents Lucas Studios. The Muppets were already their own Studios. Sunset Boulevard is the world of the studios. And you have the potential for Marvel studios. The lands can all be immersive but the journey from one form of production to another binds them all together. At the centre we have Disney studios with the new Mickey Mouse ride.

And you have the potential for Marvel studios

Sorry to nit-pick, but they don't. Universal have the theme park rights to most of the Marvel characters for theme park use on the east coast. Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange are some of the only ones Disney can use and they can't reference the Marvel name at all.

Sorry to nit-pick, but they don't. Universal have the theme park rights to most of the Marvel characters for theme park use on the east coast. Guardians of the Galaxy and Doctor Strange are some of the only ones Disney can use and they can't reference the Marvel name at all.

For how much longer, though? Disney has got Marvel's GOTG coming to Epcot and with Universal investing heavily in Harry Potter/Nintendo, it seems likely that Disney will be eventually have free reign over Marvel on both coasts.

For how much longer, though? Disney has got Marvel's GOTG coming to Epcot and with Universal investing heavily in Harry Potter/Nintendo, it seems likely that Disney will be eventually have free reign over Marvel on both coasts.

Based on what the people high up in Universal have said, they are never going to give up the rights. Why would they when they have the rights to attractions based on the most popular Marvel characters forever. There is more chance of Disney working with them to create rides featuring the film versions of the avengers, as don't forget the attractions are effectivly free promotion of the films for Disney and its a way to sell more merchandise (more money for Disney). So they get a lot of profit, for no outlay.

I am aware but that doesn't completely rule Marvel out. Universal only have rights to the name "Marvel" and the superheroes they chose to featured in IOA*. Those are the X-Men, fantastic 4, Hulk and Spider-Man. As you are probebly aware Disney don't have the rights to make movies of those characters either because different studios own their movie rights (with the acception of the Hulk and Spider-Man; which Sony are leasing back too them).

Iron Man, Thor, The Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Doctor Strange and several others (not sure about Captain America) can all be contested by Disney because Universal do not use those characters. That's easily enough characters to make a Superhero Land even if it can't bare the name Marvel.

* Please correct any of this if I'm wrong.

Iron man and Thor are part of the avengers family so Universal have the theme park rights to them. The contract is worded such that as long as they are using one member of a family of characters such as Avengers they have rights to them all.

So as in my first post the only characters Disney have easy access to and want to use are Dr Strange, Gaurdians of the Galaxy and Big Hero Six (which is really a Disney animation family as the comic was short lived).

There is a good guide here http://www.insideuniversal.net/2016...ct-what-rights-does-universal-and-disney-own/

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim
Wow those proposed park names are pretty awful, none really seem to work at all.

Anyway, the first train for the Slinky Dog coaster was delivered the other day:

0820209SDb.jpg

Awesome looking train although it seems rather short at the moment. Hopefully some more middle cars will be added.

Star Wars Samsung Galaxy's Edge update, as well as Toy Story in the background!

As you can see it appears that an additional two circular ride bases are being constructed for the Millennium Falcon ride. This is a huge relief from a capacity point of view!

Bump!

It's a been a while, and considering that there are two big projects ongoing at Hollywood Studios I think we are due at update.

Toy Story Land is due to open this year of course, but before we take a look at how it is coming along, let's talk budgets. Initially the budget for the whole area was $450 million. This was then cut to $250 million, however they are over budget and the overall cost is heading towards $300 million. Crazy figures, especially when you consider that the whole of Hogsmeade at IOA, including Forbidden Journey, cost $165 million.

Disney obviously make a lot of money from merchanside sales, so you would assume that this new area would have its own Toy Story shop. Well your assumption would be incorred, WDW News Today are reporting that because there is no shop in the area, Toy Story merch will be sold on Sunset Boulevard which is of course on the other side of the park. #DisneyLogic.

Anyway, here are some aerial photos of the area:

tsl29.jpg

tsl22.jpg

tsl28.jpg

Source and many more photos here!

Meanwhile, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is coming along nicely:

swl2.jpg

swl9.jpg

SWL36.jpg

Looks like this might be one of the entrances/exits:

swl30.jpg

Source and many more photos here!