• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

WDW Magic Kingdom: General Discussion

Sorry to disrupt the conversation but would early May be a good time to potentially visit Disney world.

I've never been to America or any of the Disney parks before so not sure what to expect but was thinking of booking a holiday there next year as it's a special birthday for my partner.

Do some of rides still require you to book very early in the morning to be able to ride them, I heard that's a thing. It's not like mandrill mayhem where you can ride it any time but have to use the app to get a slot is it?

Appreciate any other advice, thanks.

Hang on, we are criticising Disney for using too much IP in their Parks?

Have you seen Epic universe, that’s literally just IP and it looks like one heck of a decent park
It is not about the IP, I have said this afew times and it anous me when people say "you done think disney should add X to their parks".
It is about how they are being used, they are just shoving IP where they can fit it, and dam the consequences, thematic integrity? What is that? Why don't you want cars driving round a wild west frontier land?

IP can be done great whilst fitting in (see tower of terror) but so much of the current additions aren't caring about the other spaces just ramming in an IP and sometimes doing it pretty cheap.

Also how they are using the IP will age quite quickly as it is based on the story and assumes you have watched the IP (see webslingers, iron man at Disney land Paris) but a lot of the older rides didn't require you to watch the IP and could be enjoyed by everyone (splash mountain, tower of terror)

Like wise universal are adding areas that can outlast the IP like monsters it is a really unique land that looks great to explore even if you haven't watched the movies

Also how they are using the IP will age quite quickly as it is based on the story and assumes you have watched the IP (see webslingers, iron man at Disney land Paris) but a lot of the older rides didn't require you to watch the IP and could be enjoyed by everyone (splash mountain, tower of terror)

Does Webslingers really require you to have an intimate knowledge of the Spider-Man multiverse? It might add another layer of excitement if you do, but really, you're just shooting things.

I agree in spirit with regards to Splash Mountain and ToT, but both of those examples are now more than thirty years old, and one of them doesn't even exist any longer in the United States. The tough reality for Disney park purists is that almost everyone has seen Spider-Man or Iron Man. These are the pre-eminent pop cultural products of our time, and it makes perfect business sense for Disney to employ them wherever possible. In the late eighties and early nineties, they had to look deeper into their back catalogue, or to license other properties (The Twilight Zone), because their IP portfolio only went so far. People bemoan the Frozen boat rides, but did you ever have the misfortune to spend forty minutes desperately trying to escape the Florida heat watching Pop Idol: Live?

In the time since, they have purchased Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and the entirety of 20th Century Fox. Disney are armed to the teeth, and expanding parks and experiences was a key driver in their spending spree of the last two decades. And it has worked, with the parks even lifting up the company while the numbers Disney+ flagged.

Hang on, we are criticising Disney for using too much IP in their Parks?

Have you seen Epic universe, that’s literally just IP and it looks like one heck of a decent park.

I don’t blame Universal or Disney going down this route, people relate to the IP and know it. It draws them in.

When Walt created Disney, there wasn’t internet, streaming on demand, Disney wasn’t a household name, people didn’t know the brand.

Now, they’re right to use popular IP to get the visitors in my opinion. It’s what people know and enjoy.
Disney was a household name when Disneyland opened and especially when Magic Kingdom opened, he had a prime time TV show showing what was coming.

Adventureland was inspired by the True Life Adventures TV shows. Frontierland took a lot from Davy Crocket and Tom Sawyer as well as other western or wilderness set books and shows/films. Yes many of the rides/shows are original, but the idea of Frontierland exists because people liked Westerns and they were one of the cultural icons of the 1950s

Does Webslingers really require you to have an intimate knowledge of the Spider-Man multiverse?
I would argue it leans quite a bit on the story and requires a reasonable amount of knowledge on the marvel property, but tower of terror leans much less on it and only really uses it for set dressing.

The tough reality for Disney park purists is that almost everyone has seen Spider-Man or Iron Man.
Now lest look 20 years down the line, since tower of terror dosnt rely on the IP it is still very popular but 20 years down the line if no one is interested in marvel then it will be much less intresting, especially considering it is just screens and no proper scenery.

I feel a lot of people think that disneys IP will last forever and will last forever, but they won't there are quite a few disney movies that people forget and aren't interested in, also initial success can't predict how long the IP will last (see honey I srunk the kids)

I would suggest that bringing up the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror actually proves that none of this really matters. The remaining Tower of Terror rides outside of Japan are heavily based on a TV show that stopped airing in 1964. The entire preshow is taken directly from the TV show and if you aren't familiar with it you'd probably wonder why everything is in black and white and who the charming guy in a suit is. And that's just in America, I would guess that the majority of non-English speaking visitors to Disney Adventure World at the Disneyland Paris Resort in 2024 have absolutely no idea who Rod Serling is, but that doesn't stop the ride starring him and based on his TV show from being perhaps the most popular one in that park.

The "is IP good" debate is as old as the oldest Disney park forums and it's kind of funny to see it make its way here. After years of reflection, I decided it doesn't really matter to me. Partially because at this point IP in Disney parks is about as inevitable as the sun coming up, but mainly because I found myself really enjoying some of the rides based on movies that I didn't enjoy at all. I am normally a Pixar fan but cannot stand the Cars movies and yet the ride based on them is top 3 on the planet for me. Same with Guardians of the Galaxy: I do not like those films whatsoever and I absolutely love Rod Serling and his Twilight Zone, but even then I had to begrudgingly admit that Mission Breakout is more fun and certainly more relevant to modern audiences than what it replaced.

Sorry to disrupt the conversation but would early May be a good time to potentially visit Disney world.

I've never been to America or any of the Disney parks before so not sure what to expect but was thinking of booking a holiday there next year as it's a special birthday for my partner.

Do some of rides still require you to book very early in the morning to be able to ride them, I heard that's a thing. It's not like mandrill mayhem where you can ride it any time but have to use the app to get a slot is it?

May is fine for visiting, if you leave it until late May you are heading into the rainy season but early May is fine.

At the moment yes some rides require reserving as far as I know.

Tron is switching to a traditional standby queue from 9th September.

Source