• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Were Merlin right all along?

I think one of the ways both parks, but especially Alton, are failing is they really don't seem to use their locations to their advantage. Both exist in very different contexts and there's already discussion of what Blackpool should do elsewhere so I'll just focus on Towers.

Considering Towers location, you really wouldn't think it's in the middle of nowhere in the hills and forests because they don't do anything with it. There's a massive market for outdoors-y stuff, from the Centre Parks sort of thing, places like Go Ape, up to heavy duty stuff like Tough Mudder. What do Merlin do to compete? The pretty crap Treetops Quest. And what a missed opportunity these 'stargazing pods' are. How great they'd be if there was any actual effort to make them about seeing the clear night sky? And I don't meana three little telescopes from Argos plonked in the middle of them.

The challenge for Blackpool is they have to compete to get people to stay in the park, for Alton the challenge is just getting them there and getting them to stay. This drum has been banged so many times but there's no reason currently for people to do more than one day. Even if people stay over, the second day free/cheap offers are great but if people get their fill in one day many will be happy to save their spending money, beat the traffic and go straight home, especially if the park closed at 4 the day before and they've been bored since. There was a time when Towers aimed to have too much to do in one day to get people to stay or at least return, but now it seems they want to rely on queues being too big to do everything. It doesn't really seem to reflect how people visit theme parks. Even us lot mostly don't just go theme parks to hammer the rides, so why would non-enthusiasts? I suppose the logic is if you can only visit once or twice you'll put up with queues to get on everything, but surely in real life, if you can only go rarely, why would you spend the day bored in queues and stressing about if you'll be done in time? Wouldn't you rather just pick a few things you really want to do as a priority and anything extra is a bonus.

Without wishing to move that debate here, I think BPB would be better served integrating more into the rest of the town, but Alton should be building up massively. "If we build it they will come", and really push the idea that there's nothing like it in the country and that people don't have to go to DLP or PortAventura or Florida. I suppose if they did that though their other brands would suffer, and it's a bit of a catch 22, either foocus on Alton at the possible expense of the others, or treat them equally and homogenise them, but still expect the one in the middle of nowhere to be as succeful as the one just outside the capital. At the moment it seems they want to compromise and give parks money based on how muuch money they bring in, while pushing all the same in house branding all over them, and while in theory there's nothing wrong with that, Merlin are pretty bad at it. Towers has cultural capital few parks in the world can match, let alone in Britain, and it should be ran as the jewel in the Merlin crown that makes people want to visit their other properties.

The relentless 2-for-1s really need to stop, they cheapen the image and Towers just turns iinto background noise, I barely even notice the logo now because I'm so used to seeing it on like, bottles of cheap soap it almost looks like just part of the packaging. I don't have too many solutions to offer other than the last one I had; that Towers' unique place in the national consciousness, it's historical and cultural importance and contributions to both the nation and to the fields of history, entertainment, geography, architecture, horticulture etc, its tourist appeal and so on, should all be recognised and the resort nationalised and ran in the public interest as an asset we can't afford to lose, with profits either invested directly back in or paid out in dividends to smaller parks and attractions so the whole country benefits from it. I was only really half joking the first time round but the more time goes on the more I'm into the idea. Maybe it's not the answer but neither is Merlin.

The relentless 2-for-1s really need to stop, they cheapen the image and Towers just turns iinto background noise, I barely even notice the logo now because I'm so used to seeing it on like, bottles of cheap soap it almost looks like just part of the packaging. <SNIP>

They - well Tussauds as it was back then - tried stopping all the 2-for-1 offers one years in the early 2000's under the tenure of Ralph Armond at Towers. I forget the exact year but they said pre-season that ther would be no 2-for-1's that year. The park had a dire first two weeks & Easter holiday as a result and all the 2-for-1's came back on all the normal products in next to no time.

Bare in mind this was years before all the ride closures / removals / operational cutbacks & continued year-on-year rises in admission prices. Towers themselves (& Merlin) know that relatively few people pay the walk-up one dat gate admission price - the BOGOF's are essentially part of their business model. If they remove them, visitor numbers will take a big hit - possibly less than they would have in the past thanks fo the pay full day price Season Pass, but there will be a big hit. And with every drop in gate numbers, the ancilliary income of parking charges / food etc all drop.

That was almost 20 years ago, a lot has changed. Online discounts and as you say yourself, the season pass, means there are other ways to get in cheap. And I may be wrong but I don't remember there being so many 2-for-1s until a few years ago? Especially durng years with new attractions. I would be more than happy with them keeping some 2-for-1s, but putting them everywhere surely is a bit pointless and most of them end up gathering dust? It looks desperate too. If they must do 2-for-1, just standardise it and advertise that directly. It's essentially the same thing if it's true that only a tiny percent of guests pay full price. Guess it's just cheaper to design vouchers and send them off to Unilever or whoever to stick on all their brands than design and run their own advertising campaign.

Long term they should move away from it, for one year it might hurt them but long term it shouldn't be a problem, hence better parks in Europe not needing to do it (or does that purely say something about the relative qualities of the parks, or the different consumer cultures?). Just do them at key points throughout the season, especially years when there's no big new attraction to get people visiting on its own.

Like you said it's hard to wean themselves off it now it's so engrained but I'm still not at all convinced there's not a better business model out there for them.

That was almost 20 years ago, a lot has changed. Online discounts and as you say yourself, the season pass, means there are other ways to get in cheap. And I may be wrong but I don't remember there being so many 2-for-1s until a few years ago? Especially durng years with new attractions. I would be more than happy with them keeping some 2-for-1s, but putting them everywhere surely is a bit pointless and most of them end up gathering dust? It looks desperate too. If they must do 2-for-1, just standardise it and advertise that directly. It's essentially the same thing if it's true that only a tiny percent of guests pay full price. Guess it's just cheaper to design vouchers and send them off to Unilever or whoever to stick on all their brands than design and run their own advertising campaign.

Long term they should move away from it, for one year it might hurt them but long term it shouldn't be a problem, hence better parks in Europe not needing to do it (or does that purely say something about the relative qualities of the parks, or the different consumer cultures?). Just do them at key points throughout the season, especially years when there's no big new attraction to get people visiting on its own.

Like you said it's hard to wean themselves off it now it's so engrained but I'm still not at all convinced there's not a better business model out there for them.
They wouldn't run the 241s if they didn't work. Seeing them around keeps theme parks in people's mind, and encourages them to go. It's advertising. The fact they're on cereal and sweet rappers is clever as well, since it appeals to children. I reckon much of the population doesn't realise that it's based on the on the day price, and they genuinely think they're getting in for half the price. Plus children seeing the vouchers won't realise it either. A company as large as Merlin will have done their research and if it works for them I'm happy.

From the perspective of Alton Towers, Wicker Man has been a rip-roaring success and has contributed to Alton Towers being the star performer in the Merlin theme park estate this year.

It doesn't matter whether you think it's good or bad. It's a success.

^ And that to me is a shame, because despite reduced overall spending, abysmal opening hours, the SBNO rides, and every other (valid) criticism which we've already heard on here, the park has definitely marketed the new ride well and from what I hear this marketing has undoubtedly succeeded, given the amount of coaches, cars, and general guests seems to have risen dramatically relative to 2015, 2016 and 2017. It really is a shame, because there's just nothing else in this country to show up Merlin for how much of a rip off their attractions actually are. People are short sighted sadly, and unless a British version of Europa park against all the odds was actually built, then guests will be content with rubbish, and Merlin will continue to be complacent. Linking it back to Martin's original point, the monopoly that exists in the industry is the best causal explanation for every major problem that we complain about, including the lack of appreciation of proper themed theme parks.

As quite a few has already said, if numbers rise despite the cuts, it's a green light for more, or at least keeping them at the same next season. It will definitely happen, because it's happened continuously in where I've worked, and from my own experience of seeing cutbacks and slowly seeing things like staff lounges closing, cutting back on management staff every year, and scrapping necessary planned repaints, I have no doubts that Merlin will follow the same one way path. It never ever goes back to high spending without significant changes at the top level, or if significant competition is introduced. I don't care if the Dungeon has a separate budget or isn't counted on the Resort CAPEX, it's a poor, low quality investment, and they clearly think they can get away with it.
Things I think we should all look out for:
-What's happening with TLC now? Are they being disbanded, or will they continue as they did and work during the closed season? If they are disappearing then hooray, lets enjoy watching the park rot again.
-Merlin share price. We've just had yet another October dive, this time hitting an all time low 300p.
-Actual empirical guest numbers. Be it from the TEA or whoever, we need a credible source and then we can say just how successful it has actually been.